IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Feh! Who would want that? Why would anyone pay for a mere 100 games with ONLINE leaderboards when you could get over three hundred games (twenty at a time) in physical cartridge form for an exponential cost??

In the hoarder/thrifter's defense, that would allow you to roam outside the narrow confines of the officially licensed Atari properties.

I wonder if there will be an easy way to modify it (not that it's needed, but I'm curious). Remember when the first Activision VCS collection for Windows dropped? There was a lot of scrambling on rec.games.video.classic to get arbitrary ROMs playing in that crappy emulator, because it was not until many years later that emulator Stella was any good.

Remember when the first Activision VCS collection for Windows dropped? There was a lot of scrambling on rec.games.video.classic to get arbitrary ROMs playing in that crappy emulator, because it was not until many years later that emulator Stella was any good.

Not just the Windows version. Ah, the joys of resource fork editing back in the days of classic Mac OS... before it was even called Mac OS.

• Like 1

So I'm listening to the newest Pie Factory at work which just got dropped yesterday. As well as highly endorsing the same episode of Super Podcast Brothers I mentioned earlier, they also dropped this nugget Ive not seen or heard anywhere else yet:

Mike Kennedy has officialy stepped down from both the console project and Retro magazine. (No mention made of Game Gavel though)

Has anyone else seen or heard this anywhere else? Any conformation from him in print?

• Like 9

Well, half the debacle was caused by what he said ("we have a real prototype", "we have konami", "it's our menu") the other half from what he didn't say ("we don't have a real prototype", "we don't have konami", "it's Piko hacked chinese multi cart menu") so go figure which way it's gonna go .... but I have a hunch .... wait for it ...... that it's gonna go south like the rest of it.

Word Origin and History for go south
v.
"vanish, abscond," 1920s, American English, probably from mid-19c. notion of disappearing south to Mexico or Texas to escape pursuit or responsibility, reinforced by Native American belief (attested in colonial writing mid-18c.) that the soul journeys south after death.
  • Like 2

So I'm listening to the newest Pie Factory at work which just got dropped yesterday. As well as highly endorsing the same episode of Super Podcast Brothers I mentioned earlier, they also dropped this nugget Ive not seen or heard anywhere else yet:

Mike Kennedy has officialy stepped down from both the console project and Retro magazine. (No mention made of Game Gavel though)

Has anyone else seen or heard this anywhere else? Any conformation from him in print?

'Bout damn time. :thumbsup:

In other news, Mike Kennedy has been spotted in a back alley taking preorder moneys for the Chameleon XM! :rolling:

• Like 1

Here is another Kickstarter (90,000) that was funded and was cancelled

Called Greed Monger a MMO game was finally cancelled again the other day

So its not just not Mike Kennedy but a lot of people that are running poorly designed technology projects, and or claiming other people's works, or making claims they can't deliver

Only thing they did within 2 years of development was add a few unity shop items to the unity 4/5 engine

http://massivelyop.com/tag/greed-monger/

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/greed-monger-insider-thread-drama-inside.98177/page-31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpNjOG0dF-I

when you hang around hobby grade game development forums or whatnot there's always one clown that cant do a lick of math, never analyzed a single system and thinks "om gonna make hte most uber RPG MMOR whatever"

I my self was involved with one, after 4 months of hounding the self proclaimed GOD of RPG number systems I got a scanned in single sheet of notebook paper (how many tomes was even old school AD&D?)...

Kickstarter makes these kind of asswipes dangerous, and I feel anything that is on there is not even worth looking at ... cause like I said many many pages ago in this very thread, the good idea's dont generally have to beg for money. It may not be instant money but if you have a dream worth a shit it will come without begging for donations.

Just keep plodding along, if its a good idea it will be picked up, if its shit make it better or move on

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 5

when you hang around hobby grade game development forums or whatnot there's always one clown that cant do a lick of math, never analyzed a single system and thinks "om gonna make hte most uber RPG MMOR whatever"

I my self was involved with one, after 4 months of hounding the self proclaimed GOD of RPG number systems I got a scanned in single sheet of notebook paper (how many tomes was even old school AD&D?)...

Kickstarter makes these kind of asswipes dangerous, and I feel anything that is on there is not even worth looking at ... cause like I said many many pages ago in this very thread, the good idea's dont generally have to beg for money. It may not be instant money but if you have a dream worth a shit it will come without begging for donations.

Just keep plodding along, if its a good idea it will be picked up, if its shit make it better or move on

Heh. I had a similar experience with some guy in the paper & dice RPG scene. He was publishing a fanzine for an old school RPG but was using art assets from other sources without paying for them, like Games Worshop art. I even contributed a few articles which were crap. He never paid me for it, although pay was never the point as we were all enthusiasts. He did give me a PlayStation with a bunch of games. Worries me that he had my address to send that to me. It was actually kind of weird. Glad I haven't heard from him in forever.

• Like 1

In seeing more and more kickstarter screwups I've vowed to never put money there unless it's really compelling and believable. If anything is really truly honestly good it will come to a real market and knowledge of it will spread by word of mouth. When when its on the shelf I'll buy it.

• Like 1

I think I heard that somewhere, but I may have mis-read or mis-heard something. For the life of me, I cannot find the source. I'll offer a retraction in the next episode.

I hope you're playing this nice Unity remake of the original Crystal Quest game, by the original author. Definitely worth the asking price. It was a failed Kickstarter but he made it anyway.

https://madewith.unity.com/games/crystal-quest-classic

Hadn't seen that, although I don't think it's the original author doing the remake - he works for Stainless. Maybe it was done with his permission though.

• Like 1

200.gif

The Retro VGS saga hasn't ended for me.

John Carlsen is currently trying to scrub the infamous "Retro VGS first quick demo" video off the internet. Back when I re-uploaded it on my own channel I promised that if they hit me with a takedown I'd dispute it, which I am doing. I think the video should be available, it's important to this story and I will fight to keep a form of that video accessible to the public.

At this stage, YouTube still has my re-upload down and will keep it down for another two or three weeks. They will only keep it down after that if John Carlsen shows them proof that he has filed suit against me.

• Like 15

I wonder if it's worth the copystrike to your account though. I can no longer upload unlisted or videos longer than 15 minutes because I uploaded the entire 43-minute recording of my AV Famicom playing 8-bit Music Power. Fantastic chiptune cart. After a bit of Google sleuthing, I determined the complaint was direct from Columbus Circle Company of Japan, who apparently owned te rights to it. I wasn't gonna risk retaliation. Sucks... :sad:

• Like 1

That sucks, SD&R. That video is indeed part of a greater story laying out, at best, a misguided crowdfund project--or at worst an outright scam.

I wonder if EFF.org would be interested in helping? RVGS-era googling showed me that Carlsen seemed big on intellectual property, so he may also be prone to litigation.

https://www.eff.org/pages/legal-assistance