IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

The copyright exists from the time a work is created, but in this case he's only going back and copyrighting it so he can file a lawsuit.

I think a judge would have some difficulty with that.

Even if the guy were to win, filing the lawsuit would just make him look worse than he already does.

If he wants to file a lawsuit, he'll have to claim some form of damages. What can he claim was taken from him? Money? No, because the video was created to be distributed for free, so people passing it around the internet is not going to hurt him any. His reputation? He made the video, he's responsible for the contents. If it's damaging to him, that's his problem. Can he claim lost income? MMaaaaaaybeee... but only the income he'd get from monetizing the video, which as we've already said, was already available for free.

John, you regret being a part of this project. I feel for you, I really do. But you can't hide your involvement now, and when you try, it just makes you look as slimy as Mike. If you want to show that you have some integrity, just say "Yeah, I did that video, big mistake. Hope I never get involved in anything like that again, it was a learning experience." It won't wipe the slate clean, but at least you won't be dragging two years worth of drama behind you wherever you go.

• Like 9

Now I'm not a lawyer, (I'm also not a hardware guy, nor a software guy LOL)...But I keep thinking it's Free Usage like when one reports on a news story...

I could be wrong...

Edit: I am of course referring to StopDrop &Retro's usage of that video.

Edited by GoldLeader
  • Like 1

The guy participated in a project that was poorly planned, and horrendously executed. Things became desperate, and the project team resorted to sleazy tactics in an attempt to save face and stay afloat. It backfired monumentally. The gaming community smelled a rat, the scandal was widely publicized, the project team was mocked and ridiculed into virtual exile, and the project crashed and went away. I think it’s fair to say that street justice has been served, and will continue to be doled out for some time to come.

I can see lots of people still get a schadenfreude tingle in their nuts from the idea of a guy like Carlsen having his gaffes immortalized, but I guess I’m satisfied that he’s paid enough of a price. In principle I would not be opposed to Mr. Carlsen having the chance to get rid of those videos and move on with his life and career.

Alas, attempting to erase media from the internet is about as realistic an endeavor as trying to remove pee from a swimming pool.

As for the notion of preserving the videos for educational purposes or whatever… yes indeed. May the cautionary tale of the RVGS saga live on forever at my fingertips in full video glory, and serve as an indelible reminder that e-begging campaigns for fundamentally ill-conceived toys might lack legitimacy and should therefore be scrutinized before I pledge any money. Thank you oh benevolent internet, for saving me from myself.

• Like 6

Just a reminder- tomorrow is April 1st, so be on the lookout for any newly announced game consoles that use Jaguar cases. I'm hopeful a good hoax will appear!

It's actually a very easy target for April Fool's pranks. Mike is hiding out like Howard Hughes and most likely won't come out to dispute a news story, so if a hoax is well made it could probably travel pretty far before unraveling.

• Like 5

Just a reminder- tomorrow is April 1st, so be on the lookout for any newly announced game consoles that use Jaguar cases. I'm hopeful a good hoax will appear!

It's actually a very easy target for April Fool's pranks. Mike is hiding out like Howard Hughes and most likely won't come out to dispute a news story, so if a hoax is well made it could probably travel pretty far before unraveling.

SNES in the Jaguar shell is an old story by now.

How about: Genesis in a N64 shell?

Serguei2, on 31 Mar 2016 - 4:35 PM, said:Serguei2, on 31 Mar 2016 - 4:35 PM, said:

SNES in the Jaguar shell is an old story by now.

How about: Genesis in a N64 shell?

toiletunes, on 31 Mar 2016 - 6:27 PM, said:toiletunes, on 31 Mar 2016 - 6:27 PM, said:

Jag in a SNES shell?

You both intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletters forthwith and posthaste...

Edited by GoldLeader

I looked at Sega's Twitter feed and couldn't find that message, so I wonder if it's a fake. I did like this post by one of the Reddit commenters, though:

A man shaped like Mike Kennedy was spotted close to Sega of Japan recently, reportedly grinning and clicking his heels with what appears to be a full burlap sack with a ¥ symbol on it. Sources close to the former Retro VGS project have allegedly been receiving multiple voice mails from a CLEARLY inebriated Kennedy chanting repeatedly "they bought it! They bought it! I can't believe they bought it!"

• Like 2

The post in the Picture says they're comming out with a new videogma console, and it's going to be Retro. And some stuff I can't understand.

So yeah, it's obviously Sega just trolling. Cool that they added a #retrovgs...

• Like 1

People thought this thread would get locked, but it ended up locking AtariAge instead. So many new members became subscribers that it kicked Albert into a new tax bracket. He can no longer afford to keep AtariAge running. Albert announced on the front page that AtariAge will be closing in less than a week. You better start saving your favorite threads and animated GIFs before they're gone forever.

• Like 2

People thought this thread would get locked, but it ended up locking AtariAge instead. So many new members became subscribers that it kicked Albert into a new tax bracket. He can no longer afford to keep AtariAge running. Albert announced on the front page that AtariAge will be closing in less than a week. You better start saving your favorite threads and animated GIFs before they're gone forever.

Well, I guess since this is going to happen that I might as well kill you off now while I have the chance with your own personal Kryptonite.

Too bad MK couldn't keep it going a bit longer, he would have had the perfect out: An elaborate, years in the making, April Fools joke!

Mike Kennedy was so far gone beyond the stage of "April Fools", he began to earnestly believe his own lies. So bad, it's pathological...

Looks like Sega is getting in on April Fools Day this year.

ymOL0iZ.png

Cool; I thought April Fool's was only a western tradition. Japanese culture is awesome though based on their games, westerners rub off on them a lot. Take Earthbound for instance...