IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

My interest in all this, the first time around and now, was to have another option for purchasing door prizes and party favors. Small things like the flashbacks to re-introduce classic gaming. But again with all the vagueness and shenanigans, this door prize becomes a door stop.

Heh heh, "debuffed."

His evidence? Because RVGS said so, on their heavily censored Facebook page! Case dismissed!

When Toy Fair is over, surely someone could peel off the black tape and take a clear photograph of what's inside. The only reason not to? To hide the truth. We know and understand what "prototype" means. We know it won't be pretty. We want to see it anyway.

SoCal, Mike, Parrothead, GameGavel, whatever your real name is, you get a point for your recent "messaging discipline" of not gassing off all over the place about anything and everything, but not responding to this simple request is not winning you any friends or admirers.

Didn't you hear, the prototype is very delicate! If they removed the electrical tape, the SNES core juice might leak out of the FPGA!

Edited by atm94404
  • Like 10

That is the lamest debunking video i have ever seen in my entire life. He spends the first 4 or so minutes repeating that it is a prototype and not the final product.

He then continues with reading out loud the same official statements on the SNES matter and the FPGA-blurb we have all seen on RVGS facebook and use that as final "evidence" that the rumors are fake.

He could as well made a 10 second video saying "Read what Mike says, its the truth".

Might as well go back to the old Soviet "Pravda" newspapers from 1986 stating that the Chernobyl disaster was a "minor incident, we have it under control" and take that as official evidence that it really wasnt a big deal...

"Evidence" dismissed and thrown on the garbage pile.

The be fair, he wasn't debunking, he was "debuffing" so my +10 against magic is no longer effective against the Chameleon.

• Like 9

I'm guessing other tiers will include additional controllers and games. I also wouldn't be surprised to see different colors, including some expensive limited editions.

That's a given, and I believe we already know what they would be:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retro-vgs#/

Coleco Chameleon "Backer" Edition

Coleco Chameleon "Legend Series" Edition

Coleco Chameleon "Jewel Series" Edition
Coleco Chameleon "Bronze" Edition
Coleco Chameleon "Silver" Edition
Coleco Chameleon "Gold" Edition
Coleco Chameleon "Elite Backer" Edition
Given how boring those names were/are I was hoping for some irony this time around:
Coleco Chameleon "curiosity killed the cat" Edition
Coleco Chameleon "Hooters" Edition
Coleco Chameleon "all you can eat" Edition
Coleco Chameleon "Iron balls of Baoding" Edition
Coleco Chameleon "Daiso Ball Massager" Edition (ouch!!!)
Edited by phoenixdownita

So with 11 days until the KS, we still have NO information about the hardware? There is also no information about a SDK mentioned on their website. How can they expect to attract indie developers with absolutely no information about the hardware or development environment? They can only go so far with Piko Interactive releases that we can already play on consoles we own today.

The only real information on their website is: CARTS!!! BOXES!!! MANUALS!!! CARTS!!

In other words, it's the same thing as the RVGS.

• Like 5

Just a question - Can Mike run another Kickstarter while the previous RETRO Kickstarter hasn't completed yet? It's been over a year and still waiting on 3 of my 6 Magazines to be created/delivered. Or because he started a new company with the assets of the previous companies can he do it? Anyone know?

I've given up on getting them. The 10th issue (in PDF form) is out but I've pretty much wrote off that kickstarter as a fail. I'm not too happy shelling out money and not getting what I thought I'd get, obviously. I want to support a local physical mag but its just not happening with them and right now he has bigger things to worry about.

All that did was make me shun anything coming from them until I see it released and then AFTER its been reviewed to death.

I asked one of the members of collectorvision point blank last night if they have an SDK for the Chameleon. The lack of a reply told me all I needed to know.

Also why the highlight reel with Coleco, Intellivision and Genesis games that are running on the system and then not one was shown on any videos from Toy Fair?

• Like 2

I wish the right person would have been the one who started this retro console idea and not those who did. If done properly, I'm sure it be a viable product that could meet a lot of uses. I know everything is easier said than done, but the product could have been a retro product that still catered to today's audiences. Maybe a hardware guy would be better apt at this idea, but we all know there are a lot of people out there who don't play PC games because of the hassle and they don't use Steam because they want physical products. If only this system would just be able to run Linux, it would be totally easy to get games onto the system. Digital or cart based would be options, the thing would be online because it damn well has to be in this day and age. If there was a start up screen for a few seconds of loading times, who cares. People will look past that, it's a hell of a lot easier to swallow than the prospect of telling developers to make bug free games. This way people who hate PC gaming get to finally play PC games without any of the bullshit they associate with it and people who are forced to buy digital have a physical option. Mike alienated everyone and put his brand into one weird, retro vision that greatly narrowed down his audience instead of having a product everyone could get in on.

To keep costs for physical down, put some sort of flash drive in a cart with the game on it. No one is gonna care if it's not built so well it lasts longer than we can ever hope to live as long as the price is right and it functions. I highly doubt anyone worried about a 10 second load time or absolutely willing to pay the extra x amount of dollars used to make a real bonafide old style cart would even buy this anyways. And in general, people like trophies and online leaderboards, not to mention online play. Why hold your system back? Why not just take advantage of what's already out there and available? I should have known how bullheaded Mike was when he was bashing DLC and updates. People hate updates in modern games because they're fucking 5-10 gigs now sometimes. A 20 MB update that takes 60 seconds to download is no big deal.

• Like 1

Coleco, INTV and Genesis games don't run on a SNES mini.

That's kind of what I was getting at... I posted on the RetroVGS page several times asking simple questions that were yes or no questions and they kept getting deleted. Finally I asked why Mike thought we were stupid enough not to notice something was off with the prototype. I have since been banned again but it is all the proof I need to believe that he is a liar.
  • Like 4

I asked one of the members of collectorvision point blank last night if they have an SDK for the Chameleon. The lack of a reply told me all I needed to know.

Also why the highlight reel with Coleco, Intellivision and Genesis games that are running on the system and then not one was shown on any videos from Toy Fair?

I think that's yet another indication that all they had was an SNES in disguise. In all the footage from Toy Fair that I've seen, they're running only SNES titles. The highlight reel, of course, can be edited to show anything they want.

My guess is that CollectorVision is probably under an NDA like everybody else involved, which means they won't say a word until the Kickstarter, which is supposed to be sooooo mind-blowingly awesome that it will answer all our questions and change our minds completely. Of course, we've heard that refrain before ...

In my mind, the best way for me to apologize once and for all is to ultimately create a game system that will make most of you turn a 180 and win over your support and positive influence. And given the chance that is what I will do. All I ask is moving forward into the New Year is you try and give the Chameleon a fair chance to stand on its own, and again forget about the past. Let it speak for itself when we reveal it to you all early this New Year.

(That would be the unveiling at Toy Fair, which is where he and the Coleco crew wanted to "officially begin rebuilding this brand in more concrete ways." And look where they are now.)

• Like 3

I just had a thought. Mike's been talking about compilation carts for ColecoVision and Intellivision titles. I'm willing to bet they will be the same games which are found on the Flashback systems. Given the Coleco branding on the console, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Coleco cart is the pack-in title.

• Like 2

From Acronymfinder. I'm guessing it's the 2nd one he's speaking of:

Abbr. Meaning

FPGA Field-Programmable Gate Array (computing) find2.gif

FPGA Florida Pygmy Goat Association (est. 1987) find2.gif

FPGA Fine-Pitch Grid Array find2.gif

The "Florida Pigmy Goat Association" sounds like it's right up Socal Mike's alley after the Cameleon scandal fails. I'm sure he'll make best of show. :rolling:

A different thought. (I promise the next time I have one I'll let it go :) )

Last thread abour RVGS garnered around 250K views before it got shut down at Xmas, this one is hovering at 60K, why do you think the difference is so marked?

1) They managed to move the attention away from AA "haters" (a feat on its own right if you ask me)

2) Not many people were interested after the first run of the mill (their like in FB didn't uptick all that much)

3) My Special Editions joke are wearing thin (I know I know)

4) People have actual lives and can only be involved in so much drama anyway

5) I have no clue but I need to get back to work, I'll read the rest later.

A different thought. (I promise the next time I have one I'll let it go :) )

Last thread abour RVGS garnered around 250K views before it got shut down at Xmas, this one is hovering at 60K, why do you think the difference is so marked?

1) They managed to move the attention away from AA "haters" (a feat on its own right if you ask me)

2) Not many people were interested after the first run of the mill (their like in FB didn't uptick all that much)

3) My Special Editions joke are wearing thin (I know I know)

4) People have actual lives and can only be involved in so much drama anyway

5) I have no clue but I need to get back to work, I'll read the rest later.

As Mike would say, "just wait for the Kickstarter" and those views will go right up!

• Like 1

I think everyone here knows exactly what will happen. The KickStarter will go up and there will be a video showing some kind of prototype board. Mike will then turn around and say "See, there wasn't a SNES in the shell as all the haters were saying". Mike figures he's safe and he pretty much is. That SNES Jr will likely be returned to its original shell after the Toy Fair and no one will be the wiser. We can post all the comparison pics we want and he'll just point to the content of the KickStarter campaign as the primary source of truth.

It's absolutely sickening that this is taking place.

• Like 10

Given how boring those names were/are I was hoping for some irony this time around:

Coleco Chameleon "OMG" (One More Grift) Edition

They could have taken the lead from the dental system which used the Jag shell. It could lead to some interesting accessories:

• ​Coleco Chameleon Wart Remover
  • Coleco Chameleon Skin Peel
  • Coleco Chameleon Blood Pressure Monitor
  • Coleco Chameleon Self Prostate Exam Kit
  • Like 2