IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

"it could make a killer documentary or docudrama and that is certainly what I hope that Uk might end up with"

I was hoping for a movie too :) Get all the known players on film and perhaps UKMike as the narrator to bridge each

section throughout the timeline. If that was a project you can bet your ass I'd put money in on it.

6 hours ago, Shawn said:

"it could make a killer documentary or docudrama and that is certainly what I hope that Uk might end up with"

I am definitely not a film maker so I won't be doing a film project myself. If somebody else wanted to do it I would happily assist of course.

I just find it an interesting process creating the screenplay and visualising the scenes.

I can't think of anything worse than having to edit it all together though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, godslabrat said:

Today's episode of my podcast has UKMike in the hot seat, talking about the book.  If you prefer your podcasts in Audio form, go here: www.linktr.ee/HungryTrilobyte 

Thanks again for doing this, Aaron.

It was a fun interview to do. It's only the second time I've been interviewed, I'm used to being on the other side of the mic.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 1:36 PM, UKMike said:

FYI

I just added a stretch goal for a physical book.

Thanks for your support so far.

Thanks for adding the paperback stretch goal, and I was happy to see it got funded (and then some!).  I was just thinking about this campaign, and remembered to back it in time.  Looking forward to receiving my copy!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Downland1983 said:

Thanks for adding the paperback stretch goal, and I was happy to see it got funded (and then some!).  I was just thinking about this campaign, and remembered to back it in time.  Looking forward to receiving my copy!

Thanks for the support.

Only a few hours left.

• Like 1

WOW, what a response and all goals hit! Much love and respect to UKMike for his amazing work in documenting this whole wild ride and congratulations on the successful book Kickstarter! You guys are in for an amazing experience reading this book, only the tip of the iceberg has been seen thus far and you will be shocked to see how much more there was to this story. As I said before I have had read the current version of the book several times and there is nothing about this book that isn't exactly as it happened. I hope that everyone can sit tight until their copy arrives and I am keen to hear what the readers have to say after they digest the whole history of this crazy story.  Combining my takeaways from UK's book, and my own reflections, I jotted down a few notes I will post here.

-When you cross one line you know you shouldn't cross your going to repeat it.

-In the words of my favorite professor, an honest man does not lie, a pragmatic man does not lie about something that is easily verified.

-Brotherhood and fraternity are eternal, so is betraying brotherhood and fraternity.

-Don't let your mouth write checks your ass can't cash.

-Modern gaming media is worse than modern political media. The good old days were better and even an infotainment sales brochure publication like Nintendo Power had more quality control and integrity than the garbage of today. Minimal fact checking could have shut this down early, but no they regurgitated press releases.

-Criminals are dumb, which makes them prime victims for another criminal.

-Never be cruel to kind people. Some things are inevitable like the invention of the airplane, people all over the world were working on powered flight but the Wright brothers were the reason why it happened. The Chameleon debacle was going to be exposed by something, but the reason why was ultimately that Socal treated one of the nicest people I know (William Culver) like garbage and that is how the whole thing came to and end ***READ ALL ABOUT IT IN THE BOOK***

And most of all, UK Mike has often said walk a mile in a man's shoes before acting, that way you will be a mile away and have his shoes. UK is a few thousand miles away so I am going to post a few short paragraphs from his book. He was kind enough to let me write a epilogue and included it in the book, here are a few lines that sum up some of my thoughts looking back on the whole thing.

What a wild ride, with a disjointed, sputtering, and lurching ending, but that is how it happened. There was no concise, neat and tidy ending with a single event to tie it all together and give closure. When UKMike first discussed this book, one of my concerns was that the ending was so chaotic and went through several zombie cockroach resurrections even after it had been declared dead. I was one of those that pronounced a time of death more than once, only to have the thing spring back to life, like an alien creature in a sci-fi movie that just won’t stay down, no matter how many rounds you put into it.

However, after reading the first draft of this book, I was surprised in several ways by what UKMike had accomplished. Not so much that he had managed to do it, but how well he had managed to do it for a first-time author. The book was approached more as a scholarly work than a tell all book, with original interviews, documents, business filings and other primary source material, yet somehow, he had managed to make the chaos as organized as one can. Not bad for a first book. If one added citations, footnotes, and the other formatting requirements of a peer reviewed publication it could be a doctoral thesis on the subject, but then it would also read like one, and as UKMike mentions in his Foreword, he didn’t want to just write a factual documentation of events. This book represents the real story and the actual mechanisms that created and halted the whole wild ride. Any speculation or assumptions made to help connect the dots are clearly presented as such.

During what we have generally decided to call the Coleco Chameleon debacle, one of the more frustrating things is that a network of people, made up of Retro Gaming Roundup members, former Mike Kennedy “empire” participants and alert observers, had first-hand knowledge of dishonesty and fraud being committed, and yet it was an unbelievable struggle to have their voices heard. I cannot tell you the frustration of obtaining and timing the release of a key piece of evidence that we had gathered, or passed on to others, so that it would have the best chance of being noticed and have the maximum effect in hopefully halting this scam, only to see it go relatively unnoticed! More than once we had a bombshell that should have stood the whole gaming community up like meerkats, yet when we revealed it through the podcast, social media or on forums, it was skipped over relatively unnoticed but would be followed by a Youtuber, pulling hundreds of thousands of views, that said nothing of any quality or accuracy. That happened more than a few times and occurred right up until the end. I have no doubt that SocalMike was hoping and praying that the voices of those in the know would be lost among the noise and drowned out by the broad reach of his unquestioned press releases that were circulated by the gaming media without any scrutiny

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...