IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Nooooooo, man! People can't cherry pick a TV made in 2000 to play a 2600 or NES! You gotta find a grand ol' piece of shit from that same time! You can't just go forwards in time! It says so in the Nostalgia Video Game Rulebook 2016 Edition! The true spirit of nostalgia, daggonit! I'm just saying I find it a bit hypocritical people would take a game system made in 1977 and use a suped up tube from 2000 and think that's a proper retro experience. I don't care if they do it, hell, I would too, but so many people piggy back on this "real retro experience" which means they should be using shitty sets from the 80s. I like to play devil's advocate to those who ride the "true retro experience" high road. Not that you do, I'm generalizing. But I definitely like my HD emulators tons more than my crummy CRTs. They suck. :(

I don't see any hypocrisy. Hypocrisy implies that one is doing counter to what they believe and not doing counter to your strawman. People's preferences for how they want their retro gaming experiences to be aren't even beliefs in the first place to even be hypocritical about. They are just preferences. In other words, someone who prefers the appearance and experience of playing retro games on a CRT aren't hypocrites for not tracking down the exact same model they had as a kid, the same carpet, wallpaper, etc. However, they could do all of that if they prefer.

• Like 2

This is bad example, because there's a guy who can beat Mike Tyson playing it on LCD tv. But the picture is so bad, that he can't even look at it.

Except that is not an LCD. It is important to know your display types!

Edited by Keatah

That Dell monitor is a POS and good for static images only, like for use with office applications.

ADDED:

I re-read and and re-watched the video. Not that anyone cares, but I did it anyways! So there!

Why are they doing all this conversion crap in the first place, lag in the converter, lag in the monitor crystals, lag in the monitor scaling circuit. No wonder the fat guy keeps dying when playing.. Sheesh..

The name of the game is simplification. Replace that dusty & rotted circuit board with a dedicated i3 NUC or similarly powered board. Put MAME and the one game into ROM. Mame will render the image in fractions of a millisecond at the native resolution of the LCD in use. No converter board needed.

Better yet, just use a 2.1ms monitor or faster. Ughh..

I'm sure the guys at TNT think they know what they're doing and do nice woodworking and a electronic repairs..and stuff.. But boy-oh-boy I could teach them a lesson and three about how to work with LCD.

...and I find it very strange that he says he is using a new monitor and that the picture is amazing. Lol.

A little more pride would be nice.

/Nicholas

the exact same model they had as a kid, the same carpet, wallpaper, etc.

I would have to track down an early 70's vacuum tube set on a rolling TV stand and put it in an unfinished basement with patched together shag carpet remnants and a bean bag chair. No thanks. :)

• Like 2

Maybe it doesn't have to be an exact precise 70’s replica with everything dated and original. Just having the layout be period correct could work. But in any case it should recreate the coziness and warmth of those times. I sure wouldn’t want to go back to that stone age and give up modern tech advances.

There's nothing quite like going outside to play in the snow for a little while, then coming inside 2 hours later to a frozen Swanson's chicken-pot-pie and some videogames and science books. Especially when it starts precipitating again at night and world is quiet. Ever notice that when snow is coming down, the distant roar of engines and traffic is muted. A stillness and silence pervade. You even pick up on it living in open country!

Guys & Gals, that's real retro! Not this hyper zing-zang-zoom neo-neuvo stylized millennial pixel-art crap "corporate generated" retro is selling you today. You want the real VCS, Intellivision, and NES era games. Not some regurgitated vomit-laden ARM-n-Android poser crap.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

There's nothing quite like going outside to play in the snow for a little while, then coming inside 2 hours later to a frozen Swanson's chicken-pot-pie and some videogames and science books. Especially when it starts precipitating again at night and world is quiet. Ever notice that when snow is coming down, the distant roar of engines and traffic is muted. A stillness and silence pervade. You even pick up on it living in open country!

In Louisiana winter, it doesn't snow except on very rare occasion, like last year. :P Currently it's a bit below 50F right now and pouring rain. People from up north who visit here and actually experience this winter wetness say they'll take a dry cold (teens or zeros and snowing) over a wet cold (40s and pouring rain) any day. Also the white Christmas thing is lost on us. We got a mostly gray Christmas this year, and a balmy one at that. Record high of 82F for Christmas day!

I think we can all agree that what does and does not sufficiently replicate the "real" retro experience varies dramatically from person-to-person. I know I've loosened the reigns considerably as I've gotten older, mostly in deference to making better use of my extremely limited time. With that in mind, even though that type of discussion, and particularly the CRT vs LCD thing, has somewhat taken this forum topic off-topic, in actuality, it's very much on-topic. After all, the goal of the Chameleon is to try to bring retro flavor to the modern gaming experience. The question remains, though, will this "simulation" of the retro experience appeal to enough people to matter, particularly since there's division on even relatively simple things like what display to use?

• Like 4

I figured it out. I know what's inside the Jaguar shell of the Coleco Chameleon. Remember how that wardrobe could take you to Narnia? When you pop open the Chameleon's shell, there is a portal to Retroland. No board at all guys, just a magic portal that takes you to all the best nostalgia memories you have...as long as they're in 8,16 or 32 bits.

• Like 3

http://www.neowin.net/news/coleco-is-releasing-yet-another-cartridge-based-console-in-2016

"Pricing and availability details of the Coleco Chameleon have not been disclosed as of yet, however, the company has promised a demonstration of the console at the Toy Fair New York in February, 2016."

I guess we'll see if they've learned from their mistakes in February.

I think we can all agree that what does and does not sufficiently replicate the "real" retro experience varies dramatically from person-to-person. I know I've loosened the reigns considerably as I've gotten older, mostly in deference to making better use of my extremely limited time. With that in mind, even though that type of discussion, and particularly the CRT vs LCD thing, has somewhat taken this forum topic off-topic, in actuality, it's very much on-topic. After all, the goal of the Chameleon is to try to bring retro flavor to the modern gaming experience. The question remains, though, will this "simulation" of the retro experience appeal to enough people to matter, particularly since there's division on even relatively simple things like what display to use?

Well, see, just the flavor of retro isn't good enough.

If I want to play Miniature Golf or Combat I want to see it exactly as I saw it when I was a kid. Stella with TV effects comes pretty close, MAME +HLSL or GLSL comes even closer. That's classic/vintage to me(1).

I wouldn't be interested in a stylized pixel-art version with cutesy tanks and soldiers. That'd now be a 21st century game and is not classic or vintage at all. It's millennial-hipster-retro. The neo-neuvo crap. Just because it has simple graphics & gameplay doesn't make it classic either.

What seems to be happening is we're getting faux-stylized graphics with a combination of old IP and a marketing blitz pasting the word "retro" on it to make it sound like you're playing something from the past. You are not. You are playing a thoroughly modern game no matter how you slice it. To make matters more cloudy marketing claims retro games are just like what you played when you were a kid. No they're not!

Now, classic gaming = using original hardware and original programming. Same thing applies to vintage computing. And I suppose vintage=classic here. They're interchangeable. One combination sounds better than the other, that's all. Classic gaming and vintage computing are the real things.

(1) Of course I'm making concessions here like emulating on an i7 STB and not sitting on a beanbag half-a-meter from a 25" console CRT in a basement with green shag carpeting with a real VCS in front of me. But at the same time I'm perfectly willing to bend and modify the experience for practicality. I always wanted one box to rule them all when I was a kid anyways.

Edited by Keatah

I dunno what the hell Mike should do. On one hand everything he does gets blasted, on the other, silence just makes this project look dead. Nintendo can afford to be silent and speak when they want, but I think the Chameleon needs every headline it can get, even if he can confirm a tidbit here and a tidbit there. The internet runs on clickbait like that these days. Unfortunately even when he did stop by here, he just argued dumb things instead of taking the time to actually promote his system. I don't see why he can't comment on things like being online that he certainly must know the answer to. Or at least address why he doesn't want to give us an online console despite the fact we all almost unanimously want it. PS4 system and game updates can suck because they can take hours because the files are so big. No one cares about a retro game patch that takes 2 minutes and makes things better.

End of the day, how many shots are people gonna get at putting a new, retro console out there? Likely not many. People won't have the ability to do it and those that do would see it as kind of a nonsense product that isn't necessary. If by some chance they get this thing on the market with affordable prices all around, I'd at least like to see the thing be as good as it can be for the last hurrah to carts. I'd hate to see them hit a sweet spot on a price point only to fuck something else up that could have been avoided if the audience for the product had any say in what goes into it.

In Louisiana winter, it doesn't snow except on very rare occasion, like last year. :P Currently it's a bit below 50F right now and pouring rain. People from up north who visit here and actually experience this winter wetness say they'll take a dry cold (teens or zeros and snowing) over a wet cold (40s and pouring rain) any day. Also the white Christmas thing is lost on us. We got a mostly gray Christmas this year, and a balmy one at that. Record high of 82F for Christmas day!

Yeah, I've also heard the southern natives tales of northerners saying that. Being from Wisconsin prior to my southern transplantation, I really can't explain how anybody could possibly have that opinion. Perhaps long-term carbon monoxide exposure or maybe a developmental defect. Two words why I'm never going back there: Frozen snot.