IGNORED

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons

Opry99er

Anyone here a fan of the original? Gave it a good go tonight and cleared several mountains before getting waxed by a winged dragon. I think I am going to really like this game, once I get the hang of it.

It is simple and beautiful... Really a very atmospheric game... Should be played at night with the lights off. :)

• Like 4

I was just talking about this game with my sister at Christmas. Atmospheric is a good description. The sounds of the rumbling and the demons off screen really make it one of the more intense games that I have played on the Inty. I have not played the later two D and D releases. I'm curious what people think of those as well. Do they hold up as well as the original? Is one better than the other?

• Like 1

I was just talking about this game with my sister at Christmas. Atmospheric is a good description. The sounds of the rumbling and the demons off screen really make it one of the more intense games that I have played on the Inty. I have not played the later two D and D releases. I'm curious what people think of those as well. Do they hold up as well as the original? Is one better than the other?

The other 2 games have much more to them.. That's for sure..

Thanks for the thoughts guys. :)

My 6 year old loves RPGs, and is quite excellent at FF2 on the SNES. Faxanadu is also one of his favorites. I want to become proficient at AD&D so that I can get him involved.

It almost has a "Hunt the Wumpus" feel to it... Another game he likes to play. :)

I will be playing a little more this Monday. I believe I have achieved all I can this year on Christmas Carol, so I will start weening myself off that game a little at a time... throwing other games in here and there until December ends. :)

• Like 1

This was my first (and favorite) Intellivision game as a kid. I played it in my uncle's basement in Canada during the summers, and his basement was so huge that it felt like a real dungeon. Sorry to fans of the sequels, but nothing compares to the original. :)

I agree. I loved Adventure (2600) and when my Intellivision-owning friend showed me AD&D, I was blown away. It had all the randomness and fun of exploration that Adventure had, with all kinds of different mazes every game plus lots of interesting enemies and that fantastic use of sound. I played the heck out of AD&D on the Inty when we traded systems for a summer, and it's the reason that I got my own Intellivision and the chief reason I still have one.

As for the follow-on games: they're fine, but they're not AD&D. I always wished for a worthy successor, but never found one. Intellivision AD&D (Cloudy Mountain) is a true original and an inspired piece of work.

• Like 2

For those who like AD&D: Cloudy Mountain and want a sequel, there's allegedly a Japanese-exclusive Famicom game, Dragon Buster II, which has extremely similar gameplay to Cloudy Mountain.

Personally I love Tower of Doom -- no surprise there -- but the gameplay takes a different turn, so I guess I can see why a Cloudy Mountain fan wouldn't be as into it. I've never been able to get into Tarmin, myself.

For those who like AD&D: Cloudy Mountain and want a sequel, there's allegedly a Japanese-exclusive Famicom game, Dragon Buster II, which has extremely similar gameplay to Cloudy Mountain.

Sure enough, it looks like the game designer was definitely inspired by AD&D CM:

I wonder if anything is randomized, or if it's like most video games and it's all static.

Anyone here a fan of the original? Gave it a good go tonight and cleared several mountains before getting waxed by a winged dragon. I think I am going to really like this game, once I get the hang of it.

It is simple and beautiful... Really a very atmospheric game... Should be played at night with the lights off. :)

I am a fan of the original D&D game on the Intellivision, it is awesome! I try to play it whenever I get a chance. Thanks for reminding me, I shall play it later today or tomorrow. :)

-dZ.