IGNORED

Digitized speech w/o Intellivoice?

CrazyChris

The homebrew games of DK Arcade and/or D2K Arcade do exactly that (sorry my memory is failing me on whether one or both of them do it). However, as GroovyBee says, you can't do much else while playing the voice.

d2k has 2 roms. One where you had to put in code to enable and one with the voice already enabled. I had to have both variants.

d2k has 2 roms. One where you had to put in code to enable and one with the voice already enabled. I had to have both variants.

Yes, but in both cases, when the sampled sounds are played, the game pauses because the CPU cannot do anything else. This is particularly noticeable when the "grunt" sound plays, since it interrupts the introduction animation sequence.

I don't think it is actually practical to do this for games. Personally, I find the effect in D2K is rather superfluous: it doesn't really add much since the quality and sampling rate is so low, and it actually detracts from the game since the interruptions feel out of place.

-dZ.

The Intelligentvision version of DK Arcade 'Donkey Kong Arcade' doesn't have the voice in it. The Elektronite version that was sold in a Mattel shell has it but it defaults to 'off'. You have to enable it with a code '1981' as DK is climbing. The CIB version of DK Arcade has voice default ON and can be disabled with the 1981 code....ie just like in 1981 the samples were not used.

D2K Arcade on the other hand has voice but defaults to OFF and can be enabled the same way. I don't know if Carl defaulted voice ON with the ROM of D2K Arcade, but I don't think so.

D2K is not the only Elektronite release that will have digitized voice. The coming next summer Defender of the Crown will have digitized speech as well.

The Intelligentvision version of DK Arcade 'Donkey Kong Arcade' doesn't have the voice in it. The Elektronite version that was sold in a Mattel shell has it but it defaults to 'off'. You have to enable it with a code '1981' as DK is climbing. The CIB version of DK Arcade has voice default ON and can be disabled with the 1981 code....ie just like in 1981 the samples were not used.

D2K Arcade on the other hand has voice but defaults to OFF and can be enabled the same way. I don't know if Carl defaulted voice ON with the ROM of D2K Arcade, but I don't think so.

D2K is not the only Elektronite release that will have digitized voice. The coming next summer Defender of the Crown will have digitized speech as well.

Vid?

yes the original d2k rom released had it default off. He then later released it with the voice default on so i bought that rom as well. They have both been verified by me so i know there are two rom versions.

yes the original d2k rom released had it default off. He then later released it with the voice default on so i bought that rom as well. They have both been verified by me so i know there are two rom versions.

I see. Carl never told me that he started defaulting the ROM to voice 'on'. I suggested that to him as nobody ever turns on the voice. I personally think that it makes more sense to put a '1981' code in to make the game like 1981....ie no voice.