IGNORED

Tips for someone considering collecting for the Atari 2600?

hiitsbrian

With the standard Atari joystick, the CX40, your mileage may vary. I have a set that I've had forever and they still work great and feel great, like a good worn-in leather jacket. I've also used others that had issues. Some people think they break easily, but I think that depends on the user. (I've never broken one in 15 years of 2600 ownership.) Also note that the very first versions of the joysticks made in 1977 and 1978 (CX10) were spring loaded and have a longer throw, and people like them for their luxurious deluxe feel as well as their collectibility.

There are tons and tons of other joysticks and controllers out there, too. Hell, collecting Atari-compatible controllers could be a hobby unto itself. But some of the more popular ones include the Slik Stik and TAC-2 by Suncom, the Quickshot by Spectravision (cloned by Archer), and the 500XJ by Epyx.

• Like 2

Is that the light sixer, Meneer?

I don't think you can see that from a picture, even though I think I read somewhere that the light and heavy sixer differ in bezel color. Anyway, I'd never buy something "technical" from e-bay for that price. Equipment should be tested by you before you buy! Especially something that old. And even then one might buy something that's at the point of breakage. The ideal deal for me would be at a flea market or garage sail.

I'd stick w/ an emulator for a while until you know for sure that you've got a good deal. For example: my Atari broke one day (see this topic, post #60). If I can find it in the attic then I'd offer it for sale w/ my carts, the paddles that came with it (never used them!) in 1982 and the two controllers. One of those controllers is almost brand new because most games were single player and when I played one of the many, many combat game sessions w/ my friends it sometimes was at their house w/ their controllers. So if somebody tries to sell an Atari w/ only one controller, third party accessories and no games I smell a rat.

Edited by MeneerJansen

So indecisive. I will have disposable income in mere hours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161850945499?ul_noapp=true Yay or nay? The aftermarket controller/power adapter is turning me off. Or is that actually a good thing? (No idea how OG 2600 controllers hold up these days).

No. Way too much! Should be no more than $60. You can get a Heavy Sixer, Light Sixer, and a 4 switch woody for that price all combined. Marketplace is your best bet for a good deal.

• Like 3

Yes, you can easily tell a heavy from a light sixer from a picture. If you guys are referring to the one in that ebay ad, that's a heavy sixer.

It's amazing to me how many people, even experienced collectors, can't seem to tell a heavy sixer from a light sixer. It ain't hard. ;)

Tip for noobs and those who should know better :P : you want to look at the front of the console. On a heavy, the corners and sides curve straight up and the front bottom edge gently curves (it's subtle but you can see it if you're looking for it). On a light, the corners are sharp and the sides extend outward at an angle, and the front bottom edge is straight; light sixers look much more angular. Yes, the molded base/sides are thicker on heavy but that can tricky to discern in a bad photo. Curved corners/curved bottom edge vs. wedged corners/straight bottom edge is the easiest way to tell.

Or, if it looks like a 4-switch but with six switches, it's a light sixer. :-D

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 4

It's amazing to me how many people, even experienced collectors, can't seem to tell a heavy sixer from a light sixer. It ain't hard. ;)

Tip for noobs and those who should know better :P : you want to look at the front of the console. On a heavy, the corners and sides curve straight up and the front bottom edge gently curves (it's subtle but you can see it if you're looking for it). On a light, the corners are sharp and the sides extend outward at an angle, and the front bottom edge is straight; light sixers look much more angular. Yes, the molded base/sides are thicker on heavy but that can tricky to discern in a bad photo. Curved corners/curved bottom edge vs. wedged corners/straight bottom edge is the easiest way to tell.

Or, if it looks like a 4-switch but with six switches, it's a light sixer. :-D

Thank you for this easy description. I'm not not a noob but kinda since I've only owned a 4-switch and have casually collected/gamed for years. This thread has been inspiring, I may get a heavy sixer at some point so this will come in handy.

• Like 1

... the Quickshot by Spectravision (cloned by Archer)...

faq_controller_quick-shot.jpg

That's your badboy right there. Unless you plan on using a 6 Button Sega Genesis controller, this is your next best option.

Use the 6 Button Sega pad (first party!) if you're of the the d-pad generation and can appreciate the best d-pad ever designed, or;

Use the QUickshot... best joystick I've ever used... served me well during the 2600 and C64 days... just wish it had autofire... my budddy had THIS one which did...

Atari-2600-Spectravideo-Joystick-a.jpg

But it's got no button on the base!!! Otherwise, a pretty solid controller too!

• Like 1

I have a couple light sixer bundles im wanting to part with, one is a Atari, the other is a Sears Video Arcade...both super clean, stock consoles. I also have a QuickShot, Starmaster and Wico "Bat" controllers included with them. I'd also recommend Bradd's modded vader that he's selling in the marketplace, he does great work. I may pull mine off the market and fully restore (paint outer bezel too), plus AV mod them but I'm not sure yet. Good luck with which ever option you decide on, just don't get in too much of a hurry.. take your time and make sure you'll be 100% happy with your purchase.

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85
  • Like 1

Just bought 12 2600 games from guitarmas over on the marketplace. Anyone have experience with this user? Trustworthy seller?

He's legit, you're good. :)

The overwhelming majority of members selling in the Marketplace forum are legit, BTW. It's rare that anyone gets shafted and when it happens, it's usually a new member who only joined to try to sell something.

• Like 4

Just bought 12 2600 games from guitarmas over on the marketplace. Anyone have experience with this user? Trustworthy seller?

Atari181 is another awesome seller and one of the most reccommended on the site. I've done business with him in the past and he is one of the best of the best. You will not be disappointed.

It isn't obvious at first but there is a subforum in the marketplace that is organized by username. You can look up anyone's name and see what others have provided as feedback for them. You can also see how long they've been on the site by simply viewing their profile. The scammers will be on for less than a year and have fewer than 50 posts with no feedback. Plus, he's (guitarmas) only selling for .50 a cart! Not really a big risk to begin with.

For that modded vader, Brad has probably removed the RF modulator. You'd be stuck with composite on that one, but you could take a risk on another cheap deal that came bundled with sticks and stuff and not have to worry about actually playing games. $100 for a modded console is a good deal. This way you avoid having to pay for shipping back and forth (or modding it yourself).

• Like 2