IGNORED

Blueray? NOPE!

Jinks

Ok so I picked up a blueray disc remembering that the ps3 can play them. I was visiting my brothers place in the country and he does not have wifi.

Well guess what? A ps3 will not play a blueray without going online to check to see the validation certificate is correct.

So that was the end of that.

I never used a console that was such a pos that used downloads for everything. Almost making it useless without the internet.

So the playstation is not a blueray player you still need to buy one if your not online.

• Like 2

None of my BluRays have ever required me to have a network connection on my PS3 in order to play. I typically watch movies with the network turned off. They also have never asked me to update firmware, although I do keep up to date on normal PS3 firmware updates.

The only irritating thing is that the PS3 will always ask if I want to enable online content and I have to select "No." If I ever accidentally click "Yes" I have to go into system settings to change it back to asking me instead of defaulting to yes. There is no option to default to no.

I have well over 100 movies on BluRay and several series sets in the format varying from older releases to things as recent as Mad Max Fury Road and Avengers Age of Ultron. I have never seen anything about a validation certificate.

• Like 3

BD is fucking annoying. Back when it was new, I remember we finally got a reasonably priced (off brand) player at Best Buy for Christmas. Well guess what! None of the movies we bought would play because the player needed a damned firmware update. So now we had a stack of (opened and unreturnable) BDs that wouldn't work. Merry Christmas.

Things aren't as bad now because BD has been around long enough that you don't run into weird crap like that (and better, name brand players don't cost $500). I don't think my dad or I really ever got over the disappointment of that though. We moved to streaming and digital downloads pretty quick.

• Like 1

Well I got home and tried it on my samsung player. It worked. It said connect to the internet for extra features thats all.

Yeah the ps3 was on the net about 6 years ago. And the movie was jurassic world.

I found info online that yhis happens to people with ps3's that are offline for a long time and the movies are newer.

Frustrating as hell when a person spends the $$ nothing happens. Better off with the vcr days than blueray. Shoulda went hd dvd blueray was a mistake. I know fuckall about hd dvd but surely to fuck they could not have screwed it up as bad as sony.

Ps3 grand torismo boat anchor.

2600 power on game starts. Sure fucked ourselves with all this backward technology of today.

• Like 1

And that's why I'm very resistant to buying blu-ray only packages unless they're on sale for like less than 10 bucks. Most blu-ray movies I pick up have been blu-ray/dvd combo packages that are affordably priced. That way even if the bluray fails to run for whatever reason, I still have dvds. For a while I was buying more bluray as a result of companies doing those bundles, but they seem to be assuming it's costing them sales as several of the larger hollywood names are only doing bluray/digital download releases and dvd standalone releases. Pricing the dvd-only too rich for my blood, and me not giving a shit about their time-limited drmed digital download to make me consider their bluray release. Oh well, they're the ones losing access to my wallet. I have other things to buy and enjoy. :D

• Like 1

I've got two BluRays. A Samsung "smart" BluRay and a PS3. Both go online. Never any issues. But seriously that sucks. Worst case, you can paobably buy a cheap POS BluRay player at Walmart if need be.

As stated have a samsung blue ray player at home and worked fine.

The fault is the ps3 needing to be online to check the encryption.

I've got two BluRays. A Samsung "smart" BluRay and a PS3. Both go online. Never any issues. But seriously that sucks. Worst case, you can paobably buy a cheap POS BluRay player at Walmart if need be.

Personally I prefer using a standalone bluray player. It cuts down on the wear and tear of the ps3 imo.

• Like 1

As stated have a samsung blue ray player at home and worked fine.

The fault is the ps3 needing to be online to check the encryption.

It doesn't have to be online to play a disk. The problem is that your PS3 wasn't updated for years. Blu-Ray disks have had several changes over the years and your player simply required an update. This happens on stand-alone players as well.

• Like 1

It doesn't have to be online to play a disk. The problem is that your PS3 wasn't updated for years. Blu-Ray disks have had several changes over the years and your player simply required an update. This happens on stand-alone players as well.

My stand alone player that was as old as the ps3 played it no problem. I have inserted game discs on another ps3 at my mom and dads place and needed a 6 hour update to play the game. I shut it off and found something else to do. Downloading pfff bullshit.
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I never updated to blueray either. I started buying hddvd because of the flip discs with DVD on one side and hd on the other. I did occasionally get blueray when they had a pack in dvd disc, but they stopped that, so I don't anymore. DVD is fine, and at 720 there isn't enough difference to justify the hassle of bd. Even at 1080 most players upconvert fine, plus there are no players that I'm aware of that won't read dvd. DVD also includes any bonus content and don't need internet, unlike blueray. The only way I see getting into bd hardcore is it I start getting into 4k, which I'm likely a few years to a decade off of.

I always saw bd, and hddvd for that matter, as a stopgap. Something to lure in suckers till the true next gen of video tech became available.

This is why I've stuck with DVDs and never went Blue Ray for movies. The main reason is because I can sample DVDs with ease for my Music Productions.

In my case this is why I've stuck with DVDs unless there was a blu-ray/DVD combo. I simply refuse to connect my stand-alone bluray player to the internet to make sure it can do firmware updates - especially with the very real possibility of it getting more than what it was looking for (given there are IoT malware floating around, and it's common knowledge to anyone who's at least looked into it that the firmware of such devices are WAY too exploitable and they aren't exactly running any kind of antivirus.)

This way, I have high definition "by default" but if the company has done something to force an update of the firmware and fails to run because of it, I have a dvd copy - and they get to go on my boycott list. I have a very small collection of bluray-only discs. I got most of them when HMV was going out of business a couple years back so that kind of told me what I felt a blu-ray-only movie/tv show etc was worth to me. Roughly about 3 bucks or less. Any higher than that and I find it unbelievably easy to put the disc back on the shelf and not look back.

• Like 1

I never updated to blueray either. I started buying hddvd because of the flip discs with DVD on one side and hd on the other. I did occasionally get blueray when they had a pack in dvd disc, but they stopped that, so I don't anymore. DVD is fine, and at 720 there isn't enough difference to justify the hassle of bd. Even at 1080 most players upconvert fine, plus there are no players that I'm aware of that won't read dvd. DVD also includes any bonus content and don't need internet, unlike blueray. The only way I see getting into bd hardcore is it I start getting into 4k, which I'm likely a few years to a decade off of.

I always saw bd, and hddvd for that matter, as a stopgap. Something to lure in suckers till the true next gen of video tech became available.

I never even considered that... hmmm