IGNORED

Atarivox 7800

Jinks

• 1 month later...

I got the extension cable and it works.  However I decided to switch out my TV for my PVM monitor and now I can either get sound or Atarivox.  If I plug in the splitter I've been using at all the main sound cuts out instantly.  If I plug only one audio jack from my 7800 (it has two but I think they're mono) and the Atarivox into the other jack on my switch box I still only get the Atarivox.  I think the problem is that unlike my TV which had stereo input jacks, the PVM only has one mono jack (I have a splitter plugged into that).  So I think the Atarivox is overriding the 7800's sound instead of combining them.  The only thing I can think of to get around this is to use a pair of external stereo speakers.

4 hours ago, Tempest said:

That's an idea.  And those work?

They work perfectly.  The more expensive one has a bit better sound.  In my case, this was the simplest solution, since I still use RF anyway.  Also makes it really easy to turn up/down the voice volume.

I use a little Anker soundcore mini (picked it up for £14 on Amazon on sale), it's great little speaker and it's fine for the Atari Vox and I also use it for other stuff like listening to audiobooks / music from my phone.

Pretty much anything with a 3.5m jack would do though.

I use a larger version of this, but this is what I was able to purchase locally to use for this purpose:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502-Premium-5-Input-British/dp/B000J5UEGQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Behringer+Xenyx+502+5-channel+Analog+Mixer&qid=1620739234&sr=8-3

But what I've also done for some captures recently, is to run one audio cable from my 7800 AV outs into one channel of the inputs on my Extron, and then run another cable from the Avox and plug that into the other channel on my extron. That works fine for me. Naturally, you get 7800 audio in one channel and Avox from the others, but in editing I combine the two channels into a single mono channel output for the video in the end. I've also played my games that way and it is okay.

But an actual mixer like I posted or even the simpler one that @Karl G posted will allow you to adjust the volumes from each and mix them properly to get audio from both channels at the same time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I use a larger version of this, but this is what I was able to purchase locally to use for this purpose:

Looks like yours is fancier and less expensive than mine!  ? I think the one I posted was a little cheaper at the time I bought it, though.

The one I use was actually a little more expansive than the one I posted as I use it for mixing audio from lots of different sources when needed. The one I have allows for individual adjustment of the Gain and EQ for each input vs just the one setting on the one I posted.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, JagChris said:

I have unsnapped the case and for now using it bare circuit board. This will do.for now until I can find an extender.

Yeah, the 7800 is a pain because of the rather large lip above the controller ports. A simple DB9 gender changer will make it fit with the case on, and there are tons of those on eBay. I need to add that as an option in the store, as I have a ton of them. 

..Al

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1