IGNORED

Intellivision games that were not original

mr_me

The great thing about the Intellivision was all its original games. But some games that I thought were original were not. I started this topic because I recently found out that "Space Spartans" is basically Atari's Star Raiders. I never new anything about Star Raiders all this time. Some Intellivision games are officially licensed arcade games. Some games were based on popular Arcade games (eg. Space Armada, Space Hawk, Demon Attack, Nova Blast, Beauty and the Beast, Atlantis, Buzz Bombers. Okay, connecting Atlantis to Missile Command might be a bit of a stretch, same goes for Buzz Bombers and Centipede. Here are some others, most of which I had no idea of back in the day. I'm only considering games from the original 125.

Space Spartans - Star Raiders 1979 Atari 400/800

Frog Bog - Frogs 1978 Gremlin

Snafu - Blockade 1976 Gremlin (I only knew of Tron light cycles when I got Snafu)

Triple Action Biplanes - BiPlanes 1976 Fun Games (I was excited to get Triple Action because I liked this arcade game so much)

Triple Action Battle Tanks - Tank 1974 Atari arcade

Triple Action Car Racing - Tomy Digital Derby 1978 handheld game (I immediately recognized the Intellivision game having played a friend's handheld a few years back; despite its name the game was actually electro-mechanical)

Brickout! - Super Breakout 1978 Atari arcade (was supposed to be on Triple Action; would have been great had it replaced Car Racing)

Sub Hunt - Fire One! 1979 Exidy (Dave Rolfe programmed the arcade game; Tom Loughry the Intellivision game)

Thin Ice - Disco No.1 1982 Data East (found out about this game on intellivisionlives.com)

Super Pro Decathalon - Track & Field 1983 Konami (haven't spent much time with these games to know how similar they are)

Happy Trails - Loco-Motion 1981 Konami

• Like 1

You have to understand the difference between a port or "rip-off" and something that is just a general mechanic that is popular at the time. For example, Happy Trails is a rip-off of Loco-Motion, which was an arcade game; and Thin Ice was an attempt to port Disco No.1 to the Intellivision; but Snafu and Blockade...? Really?

Snafu is the classic "Snakes" game that has been around for a while since it is rather simple.

Games like "Tanks" and "Car Racing" have also been popular things to make on video games, so the originality is in the game-play mechanic and theme, not on the background concept.

Frog Bog looks quite the same as Frogs, though.

-dZ.

• Like 1

I connected Sub Hunt with Fire One! mostly because of similar gameplay. The programmers did work together at APh but it is entirely possible that Sub Hunt was programmed without any knowledge of Fire One!. I don't know if the game idea came from Mattel or the programmer.

The "Bite" game in Snafu looks like it might have had original gameplay.

Even then doing something better is cool. Demon Attack for example is a good idea done better on the Intellivision. I think it almost becomes a genre question....

Demon Attack is similar to the arcade game Phoenix (there was a lawsuit). The Atari 2600 version of Phoenix is a quality game. Intellivision Demon Attack movement is too choppy in comparison. But you're right they are all of the Space Invaders and Galaxian genre.

• Like 1

I think the Intellivision version is great...and the added graphics makes the 2600 look lame...different strokes...I was not a 2600 fan. Nothing like the thrill of the ending scene when you complete...

Actually with the bouncing shells,Triple Action Battle Tanks is more similar to Combat (1977 Atari 2600). The working title at APh for Triple Action was "Some of Theirs", they being Atari. According to Intellivisionlives.com, Brickout and a hockey pong game was left out of Triple Action because of Mattel lawyers. I suspect Triple Action Car Racing was a last minute substitute (it looks like it was put together in a couple of days). I can't think of any other video game that's like Triple Action Car Racing, nor would I expect one. It does play like the old Tomy handheld game.

So that makes for about 87 original video games (70% of the 125). It is subject to opinion.

So that makes for about 87 original video games (70% of the 125). It is subject to opinion.

Which games are you counting as original?

Checker, Chess, Poker, etc, all sports, are all not original, per se... they've existed for a long time before Intellivision

I don't know much about other consoles and arcade games of that era to really compile a list of what could/should be truly original to Inty

Maybe the list of truly original games is much shorter?

Utopia

Astrosmash

Shark Shark

All the Tron games?

Star Strike

Truckin'

There are more, so does anyone else want to add on to the list?

I count Intellivision sports games as originals; it's the way the sport is implemented as a video game. World Championship Baseball may not be original but World Series Major League Baseball is. The PGA Golf hook and slice method might be original and later copied by other golf games. Chip Shot Super Pro Golf improved upon it but is it enough to be original. Actually I think I mistakenly counted some Super Pro games as originals.

I consider the computer player algorithms in games like Backgammon, Chess, Poker as original and their video games as original. For example today there are lots of computer chess games but they all use the same handfull of chess engines. A chess game with a completely new chess engine would be original. A game like Intellivision Las Vegas Roulette maybe considered not original as it is nothing more than an electronic roulette wheel and chip counter.

Some might consider Space Hawk being different enough from Asteroids to be original. Others might say that Astrosmash borrows too much from Space Invaders or Galaxian. I consider a game like Imagic Dragonfire as original. It was released on multiple systems at about the same time by the same producer although the Intellivision version was not first. There is some opinion at play here,

No doubt my count is faulty. The purpose of this topic was to see if there were any other surprises like the now obvious Space Spartans and Atari's Star Raiders. So I'm looking for a comparable video game that would make an Intellivision game obviously not original.

----

edited out some mistakes

Edited by mr_me

Maybe the list of truly original games is much shorter?

Utopia

Astrosmash

Shark Shark

All the Tron games?

Star Strike

Truckin'

There are more, so does anyone else want to add on to the list?

Ice Trek

Microsurgeon

Safecracker

White Water!

Dracula

All truly original, I guess

Sorry, mr_me, it seems that I hijacked your thread.

Both lists are very interesting.

Seeing what games are truly original is just as interesting to see as to what were not original and seeing where they got the inspiration from. Well, for me anyway.

I've mentioned in other threads on AA, as a kid, we've only owned Channel F and Inty, and I've played a few 2600 games through my System Changer and my buddy across the street. I haven't played many arcade games, and I've never owned any newer console system, so at the time I really didn't know what else was out there - and I still really don't.

Both of these lists are interesting to me.

I think those games are originals. You give a game the benefit of the doubt until evidence shows that its not. I always thought Space Spartans was an expanded version of Space Battle with new original ideas, until I read about Atari Star Raiders. I've never played Star Raiders. Has anybody played both Space Spartans and Star Raiders to comment on how similar they are?

• 6 years later...
On 12/30/2015 at 9:34 AM, mr_me said:

Some games were based on popular Arcade games (eg. Space Armada, ...)

Space Armada actually traces back to Killer Beasties, a game proposed in 1978 but which Rochlis declined to pursue because it was too arcade-like. It was revived and adapted after Space Invaders came out for the 2600.

On 12/30/2015 at 9:34 AM, mr_me said:

But some games that I thought were original were not. ... Triple Action Car Racing - Tomy Digital Derby 1978 handheld game (I immediately recognized the Intellivision game having played a friend's handheld a few years back; despite its name the game was actually electro-mechanical)

Or just maybe it's traceable to this really obscure game from 1976:

image.png.4a213442ea460acff2092e78fa82cee8.png

which, of course, is itself traceable to mechanical arcade racing games such as Drive Mobile.

On 1/4/2016 at 7:30 AM, mr_me said:

I connected Sub Hunt with Fire One! mostly because of similar gameplay. The programmers did work together at APh but it is entirely possible that Sub Hunt was programmed without any knowledge of Fire One!.

I don't find the gameplay similar at all. Fire One! is like one of Atari's Combat games and, like a typical arcade game, designed for a short play for 50 cents. Sub Hunt is a long-playing mission-oriented game.
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 8:08 AM, Walter Ives said:

Or just maybe it's traceable to this really obscure game from 1976:

I had the Mattel Electronics Auto Race handheld back in the 1970s.  The Triple Action game reminds me more of the Tomy handheld because they have exactly two lanes and how you have to navigate traffic that often corners you.  Many other early racing games were about avoiding obstacles flying at you.

I agree about Sub Hunt, but couldn't help point out that the the two programmers worked together on Intellivision games.