IGNORED

Any contest entries that were ALMOST submitted?

Not sure if this counts, but before my cancelled entry was started, I was considering 2 other ideas.

I might as well post these here, because they're just going to rot on my harddrive, otherwise.

First, a demake of a cancelled NES title I had worked on last year. It was a Zelda 1 clone.

TjvqC4I.png

The second idea, was an RPG, as a clone of the Dragon Quest games.

CKrzdid.png

• Like 5

Not sure if this counts, but before my cancelled entry was started, I was considering 2 other ideas.

I might as well post these here, because they're just going to rot on my harddrive, otherwise.

Both of those games fit the graphical limitations of the Intellivision very well. Its a shame they won't progress into playable versions.

I quit because of harassment. What the "kind" folks at NintendoAge did, was quite despicable.

im sorry to hear that. Do you have any nes roms for sale or download? I am definitely interested in your work. Would have been awesome to have you making some games for the intellivision. Some forums for certain consoles some of the people can be quite brutal. Round here in intellivision land we dont have too many problems thankfully. We like to joke around and go off topic here. Most of us dont get too serious. We have game trades that are years in the making cause we are for the most part a patient group of people. Here we are also an older group of people loving the lesser known system so not really any younger punks here. Im sorry you had a bad experience as a programmer doing something that is a lot of your time doing something for others to enjoy. Best of luck to you and whatever you do my friend.

im sorry to hear that. Do you have any nes roms for sale or download? I am definitely interested in your work. Would have been awesome to have you making some games for the intellivision. Some forums for certain consoles some of the people can be quite brutal. Round here in intellivision land we dont have too many problems thankfully. We like to joke around and go off topic here. Most of us dont get too serious. We have game trades that are years in the making cause we are for the most part a patient group of people. Here we are also an older group of people loving the lesser known system so not really any younger punks here. Im sorry you had a bad experience as a programmer doing something that is a lot of your time doing something for others to enjoy. Best of luck to you and whatever you do my friend.

What Pimp said. :) those look awesome and I suspect would translate well to the Inty

I'm not really a fan of NintendoAge, I'm a member there but rarely visit. AtariAge is a much more mature/civilized forum.. I'm sure you'd feel much more at home here. I wouldn't let them bother you, I doubt you'll be dealing with any harassment here. Anyways, you're very talented.. those are some amazing screens you posted above. I hope you'll reconsider making some Inty games. :)

• Like 1

First, a demake of a cancelled NES title I had worked on last year. It was a Zelda 1 clone.

TjvqC4I.png

The second idea, was an RPG, as a clone of the Dragon Quest games.

CKrzdid.png

Oh please, please finish at least one of these beauties :):thumbsup:

I quit because of harassment. What the "kind" folks at NintendoAge did, was quite despicable.

From Nintendo and their lawyers? That's a Nintendo tradition. Sigh.

Here we are also an older group of people loving the lesser known system so not really any younger punks here. Im sorry you had a bad experience as a programmer doing something that is a lot of your time doing something for others to enjoy.

How old is "older group"? I'm probably the baby here then. :)

Well, about that... :P

WYCey8O.pngYLQuZZ2.pngnX3ETTZ.png

I *did* say they were demakes of other ideas.

Smells very NES to me. I have no clue how you accomplish this on the Intellivision. I'd run out of GRAM about 10 times by now.

no from nintendoage. Another forum. And im 39. Im actually among the younger people here. We used to have a kid who was 16 on here a few years back. Then one day he was gone.

Then join us over here, we don't bite, and we have cookies. :)

Seriously, switch CPU/console alliances and you may discover a more rewarding and collaborative community.

• Like 2

no from nintendoage. Another forum. And im 39. Im actually among the younger people here. We used to have a kid who was 16 on here a few years back. Then one day he was gone.

Maybe he discovered girls. :o

:lol: Just kidding. Intellivision programmers tend to be a bit older than Nintendo, since the hey-day of the NES was around the time that we ourselves discovered girls, college, or other interests. ;)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

no from nintendoage. Another forum.

Ah, Ok. Bully Mods then? Then again, don't answer if they're watching... ;)

It's just that I've heard of cases where Nintendo even threatens passive hobbyists using ROMs (along with their regular suing around), so thought this was the harassment talked about

And im 39. Im actually among the younger people here.

Yup. That would make us the younger folks for sure, assuming many here may have been the teen generation from Intellivision's market presence in the very early 80s.

I'm from the NES/SNES era. My "childhood Intellivision days" were in the late period of INTV Corp's takeover. (Which makes me a minority as they served mostly a niche crowd, not really focused on winning new adopters.)

When Dad and I walked into a drug store (late 80s, early 90s) and saw a few dozen Intellivision games for some clearance sale - at 89 cents each! - we bought them all and HAD to get an Intellivision. Ahhh, the cheesy blocky graphics, but awesome game play - love took off! :)

We used to have a kid who was 16 on here a few years back. Then one day he was gone.

:lol: Just kidding. Intellivision programmers tend to be a bit older than Nintendo, since the hey-day of the NES was around the time that we ourselves discovered girls, college, or other interests. ;)

-dZ.

He he. This is more rule than exception. Marketers who target early teen males know all about this chasm. I think there's even academic research on this. :grin:

Edited by PuzZLeR

There were no ROMs, I didn't have enough time in the community to release anything.

Though, I *was* 2 weeks from retirement releasing a 2-player Halloween-themed arcade platformer about twin witches with bubble magic, lots of monsters, and candy. I scrapped that project immediately after leaving that community. (It was a Bubble Bobble clone.)

Heh, young punks. I'm only 23, myself. Though I grew up exclusively playing older consoles. (couldn't afford the current consoles)

Smells very NES to me. I have no clue how you accomplish this on the Intellivision. I'd run out of GRAM about 10 times by now.

Honestly, other than going after let's plays on YouTube, I haven't seen anything too bad from Nintendo. They've even publicly expressed disinterest in people making homebrew games for their old consoles. Only rom-hacks could possibly have been an issue, which my games were not.

SquareEnix is more the ones to go after games, and they have, numerous times. They have a reputation for it.

Then join us over here, we don't bite, and we have cookies. :)

Seriously, switch CPU/console alliances and you may discover a more rewarding and collaborative community.

I'm considering that. Though, after 3 months of dealing with crap, developing video games does not appeal to me, right now.

I will still be producing art, but I will not be programming anything for the time being.

I've considered making an art thread over here, but since my art covers multiple console restrictions, I'm not sure where to put it.

For now, my work can be seen over here: https://twitter.com/Alp317 (Occasional NSFW)

-dZ.

Ew, girls! They have cooties! Or so I've heard! :P

• Like 1

SquareEnix is more the ones to go after games, and they have, numerous times. They have a reputation for it.

And that would be who's work yours is most closely resembling. :-o

But "resembling" is not synonymous with "copying" by keeping the definition in check. I personally have a saying about anybody copying from me, and/or even profiting off of it, that I couldn't care less as long as I'm given credit is some way.

I don't think it would be an issue if you continue your work and give credit to Square/Enix, or whatever they're called now, as some sort of "influence" or "inspiration". (And if it's not "copying", then you don't have to issue any financial outlay.)

At any rate, I don't think that's what's bothering you the most about designing video games. Hopefully you get past whatever and continue. I too would love to play some of this stuff. (Loved the Dragon Warrior/Zelda/FF/Ultima/Faxanadu stuff on the NES myself. :) ) And if you can come up with something that plays like Crystalis on the NES did, I'd support your work even more. :)

I don't think it would be an issue if you continue your work and give credit to Square/Enix, or whatever they're called now, as some sort of "influence" or "inspiration". (And if it's not "copying", then you don't have to issue any financial outlay.)

At any rate, I don't think that's what's bothering you the most about designing video games. Hopefully you get past whatever and continue. I too would love to play some of this stuff. (Loved the Dragon Warrior/Zelda/FF/Ultima/Faxanadu stuff on the NES myself. :) ) And if you can come up with something that plays like Crystalis on the NES did, I'd support your work even more. :)

It wouldn't matter, that "Dragon Master" game is a parody of Dragon Quest, sure, but all of the design work is high fantasy art, not Akira Toriyama's characters. Look at that Slime for example, it's just a generic puddle of goo. They've got nothing on me.

Even if the dark wizard turned out to really be an evil dragon in disguise, it still wouldn't matter.

The goal with that project, was to take Dragon Quest, make it look prettier, and only use NROM. (512 tiles for sprites/background.)

Besides, who's really inspired by SquareEnix these days? Their games have been terrible for more than a decade, now.

What I was talking about, was how SquareEnix has pissed off their fans, by sending cease and desist orders to fan-projects.

(Both original fan games, and ROM hacks.)

Yup. Square/Enix has been riding on complacency after their success I too believe. I don't think they've even caught my attention once since they were Square and Enix, or Nintendo subordinates, or whatever they were before their merger or whatnot since their whining, changing loyalties to Sony, yaddy yah, whatever... Tuned out anyway.

But, we could use someone to bring back that old magic. The kitty-friendly feel is nice too. :)