IGNORED

My HDTV doesn't like my Intellivision

Yesterday I put my CRT into storage in favor of a new HDTV (Samsung J6300). I realize this isn't the best solution for my retro games by a long shot, but I don't have the space for 2 TVs currently. Everything works on the new guy (with the expected loss of clarity) except the Intellivision. On the CRT, it had a sort of static roll to the picture- noticeable, but nothing that hindered gameplay. On the HD set though, the picture keeps glitching off to the side, almost like the horiztonal hold is bad. Needless to say, it makes it impossible to play anything.

So the issues at hand are: is there anything I can do without opening the system up to fix the picture? If not- who's the best person to turn to for Intellivision repairs? I'm not versed in handling these things myself, I'd rather not take it from 'functional on a crt' to 'doesn't work at all'.

You don't mention how you are making the connection between your retro consoles and your new TV.

I have my Intellivision (and Channel F) going into my VCR, on the antenna IN port, and the VCR is connected via RCA (composite) to my Samsung LCD TV.

If you have an older VCR sitting around, or borrow one from a friend for testing, that would be a good test.

Also I have an RCA-Coaxial adapter so I don't need to use that old sliding switchbox thing.

Edited by fdr4prez

Yesterday I put my CRT into storage in favor of a new HDTV (Samsung J6300). I realize this isn't the best solution for my retro games by a long shot, but I don't have the space for 2 TVs currently. Everything works on the new guy (with the expected loss of clarity) except the Intellivision. On the CRT, it had a sort of static roll to the picture- noticeable, but nothing that hindered gameplay. On the HD set though, the picture keeps glitching off to the side, almost like the horiztonal hold is bad. Needless to say, it makes it impossible to play anything.

So the issues at hand are: is there anything I can do without opening the system up to fix the picture? If not- who's the best person to turn to for Intellivision repairs? I'm not versed in handling these things myself, I'd rather not take it from 'functional on a crt' to 'doesn't work at all'.

get a male rca to female coax adapter and use a coax cable (like you use for cable tv) instead of the cable and switch box/adapter you are using now. That would be the first thing to try. You mention the static roll which usually means a bad cable/ switchbox. Beyond that replacing the rf tuner inside is needed.

post-30773-0-41663600-1451671483_thumb.jpeg

Edited by pimpmaul69

Sorry, Pimpmaul, I am adding 2 and 2 from different threads.

HoshiChiri said in this thread, "the best solution for my retro games" implying more than one retro console, and the other previous threads in other forums that I've spoken to HoshiChiri about Channel F issues.

The channel F works fine on the HDTV- the lines are a bit curved toward the top, but it's not bad (better than the color bleed it'd get on the CRT).

I have an a/b coaxial switchbox connected to the ANT in on the HDTV. One line goes to the NES toploader, the other has an f-plug adapter on it for easy setup of the vintage systems. It's pretty such the same setup I had for the CRT (the main difference being the tv cable doesn't route through the NES RF anymore.)

So, I'm assuming it needs a tuneup? I mean, it was in a garage attic for a couple decades before I got it.

I had problems with mine as well until someone here suggested going through a VCR. Hooked it up that way and now it works great.

if you do it this way i still recommend changing the rf cable for fixing the rolling snow. The vcr converts the signal but wont fix the interferance from the cable.

And if you are up to the challenge of replacing it yourself, or you know someone with soldering skills, then the instructions can be found here:

http://www.intvfunhouse.com/tech/rfmod/

Though the link on that page to Alltronics is dead, the part is still there:

http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/item/92V017/search/SFE%2D10%2E7MJ%2D%2DRF%2DTV%2DVideo%2Dmodulator

Probably still a better deal in small quantities to get one from Joe.

I genuinely don't remember if my VCR has a tuner built in- it's not in a spot I can access the back easily. I'll have to try and wiggle it out tomorrow and see.

Assuming my only option is to have the tuner replaced, is there a decent person to ask- like the Yurkie-equivalent for Intellivision? I've never done a serious repair/mod before, and my Inty isn't what I want to practice on.

I've not seen an VCR without a tuner. The biggest feature of a VCR is to allow you to record television shows.

Modern televisions have weaker tuner receivers than older tube sets. This is why a few of us are recommending to use the VCR as a go-between, but have you attempted to go directly from the Intellivision to the TV without using your selector switch?

I've not seen an VCR without a tuner. The biggest feature of a VCR is to allow you to record television shows.

Modern televisions have weaker tuner receivers than older tube sets. This is why a few of us are recommending to use the VCR as a go-between, but have you attempted to go directly from the Intellivision to the TV without using your selector switch?

and the weaker tuner is why a bad cable can cause it not to work properly. I can replace your tuner for you but i think the cable will still be an issue. It is possible the rolling snow is from the tuner though.

I tried the direct connection, same result as before- I couldn't get a picture out of my Utopia cart (hope it's not dead), but I made a little video of the issue with Demon Attack going...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV5xl5n1K-4

I also got my VCR/DVD combo wriggled out and plugged it in through it- fixed the glitching, but seriously desaturated the color:

SANY0038

It's better than nothing... I have a spare coax adapter, I'll pick up another f-plug cable and try to set up an easier access point, mess with the settings on the VCR, etc.

Still thinking I'd like to have the unit worked on. I'd at least like to know what the rattling is (I'm afraid to open it myself!)

That is definitely a step in the right direction.

Please take a picture of what you are using for making the connections, so we are all on the right page.

Pimpmaul has offered to help work on your unit, but I think we'd like to see you connection methods so you don't ship it out for no reason.

That is definitely a step in the right direction.

Please take a picture of what you are using for making the connections, so we are all on the right page.

Pimpmaul has offered to help work on your unit, but I think we'd like to see you connection methods so you don't ship it out for no reason.

This is my main switcher, with the f-plug adapter attached:

A/B coaxial switcher

These are the cables I'm using (and one of my spare adapters). The first one is a mystery cable that came with my Atari, the one with the adapter is a radio shack cable bought new just a couple years ago.

SANY0041

SANY0043

My VCR has no built in color adjustment, sadly- but I did notice switching out of the menu that it'd briefly show the glitchy full color image before snapping to the stable desaturated one.

This is my main switcher, with the f-plug adapter attached:

These are the cables I'm using (and one of my spare adapters). The first one is a mystery cable that came with my Atari, the one with the adapter is a radio shack cable bought new just a couple years ago.

My VCR has no built in color adjustment, sadly- but I did notice switching out of the menu that it'd briefly show the glitchy full color image before snapping to the stable desaturated one.

so are you impying you have two rf cables you tried using on the intellivision?

so are you impying you have two rf cables you tried using on the intellivision?

Just this morning, yes- found the older cable amongst my assortment when after checking with the VCR (since I got snowed in during the check and can't go shopping :s) Both cables are producing the same results.

Just this morning, yes- found the older cable amongst my assortment when after checking with the VCR (since I got snowed in during the check and can't go shopping :s) Both cables are producing the same results.

ok. Pm me if you are interested in replacing your tuner. Also have you tried both channels 3 and 4 on your intv and vcr? and are they both on the same channel? Edited by pimpmaul69