IGNORED

Super Ninja Controller pre-order

grips03

Last Updated 7/7/2016 -18 NeoGeoX cases left.

This is a pre-order for Ninja or Super Ninja Controller (multi-console arcade controller).

If you like the NeoGeoX controller. Use multiple older games consoles (Atari, Coleco, Intellivision, Vectrex, etc). And wish you could use one controller to support all of these older game systems, then these controllers are for you.

The "controller smarts" are in the cartridge, and the controller is just a bunch of buttons, wires and microswitches connecting to the cart. This makes the base controller very adaptable to support more consoles in the future.

Steps to use:

Plug in proper Ninja controller cartridge into controller

Plug controller into game console

Turn on console and play

Warning:
Make sure to have the proper Ninja Cart in the controller before turning on game console and pressing buttons. Some game consoles output +5VDC on different pins. You wouldn’t want to short the +5VDC power pin to ground as this will cause harm to your game console.

Example: You plug in the VEC (Vectrex) cart into the SNC controller, you then plug the controller into NeoGeo game console. Then you press button A or Select or D. You have now just shorted +5VDC power from the NeoGeo to ground. This will cause harm to your console. Don’t do this. Always check to make sure you have the proper cart in the controller before turning on game console.

Super Ninja Controller (SNC)

Controller is like new NeoGeoX controller

Milled for keypad and cartridge slot

Cartridge slot for Ninja Controller carts, see list below.

Supports all Ninja Controller carts, including NeoGeo and Atari 5200

Joystick is greased with Shin Etsu silicone grease

Uses (4) Panasonic microswitches for joystick, pick either 1N or 2N. 1N feels like well worn joystick, 2N feels stiffer

(4) black Seimitsu 24mm screw in buttons

30mm black Seimitsu balltop

Power switch in right rear, up is ON / down is OFF - used with INTV cart

Super Ninja Controller sticker in top right corner

No screw sticker on the bottom center

12 button keypad

~5.5 foot db15 cable. db15 connects to NeoGeo and Atari5200 natively

8-10 inch db15 to db9 adapter. db9 allows connection to many older consoles.

8-way joystick gate

(4) 3M rubber feet

Ninja Controller (NC)

Same as Super Ninja Controller above besides:

Ninja Controller sticker in top right corner

~6 foot db9 cable.

Supports all Ninja Controller carts, besides NeoGeo and Atari 5200

Options:

3d printed 4-way joystick gate

Super Ninja Controller kit

Main PCB, edge card connector, deep db15 cable, power switch, 2 ties, 2 spacers, keypad, keypad pcb, internal wiring,

db15 male to db9 female console cable, nuts / bolts

Ninja Controller kit

Main PCB, edge card connector, db9 cable, power switch, 2 ties, 2 spacers, keypad, keypad pcb, internal wiring,

db15 male to db9 female console cable, nuts / bolts

Ninja Controller Cartridges (NCC):

INTV cart requires a battery in the cart. All other carts are passive or use power provided by the console. No Power cord is needed :)

INTV = Intellivision 2, Sears Super Video Arcade, also works on original Intellivision when db9 ports are added to the console - uses 2 x AAA battery

CV = Colecovision 4 button (SAC), Atari 2600 1-button, Commodore 64

7800 = Atari 7800

VEC = Vectrex digital controller cart. Does not work with analog only games. There are very few analog only Vectrex games

GEN = 3 button Sega Genesis

SMS = Sega Master System with rapid fire

NG = NeoGeo

Future:

NES = Nintendo Entertainment System - cart and console cable

TG16 = NEC PC-Engine / TurboGrafx 16 - cart and console cable

5200 = Atari 5200 digital controller cart. Does not work with analog only games. There are very few analog only Atari 5200 games.

shipping = actual shipping cost + 4% to cover PP fees. I will only ship with tracking.

package is 3.5 pounds 12 inches length x 10 inches wide x 5 inches high

Payment is expected a day before controller ships.

Use controller and cart(s) for a week if you don't like it return for refund (minus shipping). Buyer pays return shipping.

First batch of ~5 is shipping to US, then if all goes well I'll ship International.

Which Joystick Gate is best?

2-way games are fine with either 4 or 8 way gate.

4-way games with 8-way gate are not good.

4-way games with 4-way gate are great

8-way games with 4-way gate are horrible

8-way games with 8-way gate are great

Intellivision examples:

2-way games: Astrosmash, Space Armada, Space Patrol

4-way games: Boulder Dash, D2K, DK Arcade, Christmas Carol, Thunder Castle, Burgertime, Lock N Chase, Dig Dug, Frogger, Night Stalker, Ms. Pac-Man, Beauty and Beast, Super Chef BT, Donkey Kong Junior, Ms. Night Stalker, Piggy Bank

8-way games: Copter Command, River Raid, Match 5, Dreadnaught Factor, Commando, Mission X, Nova Blast, Empire Strikes Back, Atlantis

Directions to change the Joystick Gate:

1) Remove rubber feet.

2) Remove 4 screws to open case.

3) Remove 8 screws to remove gate

4) Put on new gate, make sure little posts on the gate fit into holes in the microswitches - gate, microswtches should all be level. Re-install the same 8 screws from step 3

5) Turn case to look at back of it. Put top and bottom of case together. Do not use the screws to force the top and bottom together. Re-install the 4 screws from step 2.

Do not change gate often as screw holes are plastic, not metal threaded, hence can wear out.

If you do change, make sure to not over-tighten them

When re-installing the screws It helps to put screw in place and turn to loosen, this helps the screw find the old groove vs. making new ones. If screw is hard to turn back-out and repeat this process.

Directions to remove rubber feet:

1-Use small flat blade screw driver edge, press into side of rubber foot and lift.

2-Reapply

post-27883-0-37373400-1451763070_thumb.jpg

post-27883-0-81190600-1453528441_thumb.jpg

post-27883-0-42262000-1468165923_thumb.jpg

post-27883-0-23345800-1468165929_thumb.jpg

post-27883-0-28669300-1468165935_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Forgive me here, but exactly what are the cartridges? Interface firmware or something of the like?

Cart can have firmware, the Intv cart does for example. But most are just passive, some have 555 timer for rapid fire. I'm pretty sure the 5200 cart will have firmware too. It really just depends. If you open up the Genesis cart you will notice it is exactly like Sega Genesis 3 button controller, just with the controller pcb in cart form.

Pretty cool, Grips! I'm interested.

I've been thinking about a project to combine both my CV and Intv Arcade Controllers into one, glad you beat me to it. :)

Could I send in my CV arcade controller to be converted to the Super Ninja format? That would save me a ton of money and would make your job much easier too (i think..) ;)

Send me a PM if you want.

• Like 1

Pretty cool, Grips! I'm interested.

I've been thinking about a project to combine both my CV and Intv Arcade Controllers into one, glad you beat me to it. :)

Could I send in my CV arcade controller to be converted to the Super Ninja format? That would save me a ton of money and would make your job much easier too (i think..) ;)

Send me a PM if you want.

I might make a kit once I start shipping. Would that work?

• Like 1

I presume the joystick is installed with an 8-way gate by default (hence the option to buy a 4-way gate)?

Also as requested, I wouldn't mind seeing a video of things in action too :)

Ships with 8-way joystick by default.

I won't be making a video.

N = Newton.. how much force or activation strength to move the actuator lever/hinge, i.e. how stiff the joystick feels :)

Personally, I like the feel of the 1N microswitches a lot but I plan to try a 2N next time around..my CV arcade controller needs different microswitches, the Omron's currently in it aren't that great compared to Matsushita (Panasonic) switches that in my Inty controller.

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85

grips03, in for conversion kits for my Coleco and Intv ones :)

I will make a kit, but I highly recommend not using it. For one the battery in the INTV Ninja Controller cart is AAA, not AA. So the battery lasts half as long as Intv2 controller. Intv2 controller is also a little lighter due to not using carts.

Take my Intv2 or Colecovision controller for example:

You would remove the battery holder (Intv2 only)

Cut the side of the controller for cartridge slot on a milling machine

remove current pcb

cut posts

remove the keypad

add adapter to new keypad

remove all internal / external wiring

My guess is about 7 hours of labor per controller to make a new controller or convert one.

Kit pricing is likely about $110