IGNORED

Super Ninja Controller pre-order

grips03

CV and Inty for sure. ..Vectrex and Genesis possibly.

In the future, if you end up making a MCC controller cart (for N64 and Dreamcast, etc), I'd be interested in that too.

Drawing that one up today.

I can't find that MC Cthulhu supports N64.

• Like 1

That's ok.. no big deal on N64. I guess it would be hard to do since it would probably need to be analog (the control stick) instead digital. I re-read the 1st post, NES and SNES would be fine.

Ideally what I hope for is One end-all, be-all arcade controller, instead of having one dedicated to every different console like I have presently.. what you're working on here seems to fit that bill :)

• Like 2

That's ok.. no big deal on N64. I guess it would be hard to do since it would probably need to be analog (the control stick) instead digital. I re-read the 1st post, NES and SNES would be fine.

Ideally what I hope for is One end-all, be-all arcade controller, instead of having one dedicated to every different console like I have presently.. what you're working on here seems to fit that bill :)

This is exactly why I built it. Took me 3 years and quite bit of $. Some of the parts are quite custom. I like the NeoGeo(X) controller, so this seemed like the best solution. Hopefully I'll break even. I'm at ~1-2K in dev costs so far. PCBs are at rev14 as I type this. I know one of them that will be at rev14a before I can ship.

• Like 1

So grips, how are you getting around the cable differences in pce and neo geo? Im not asking cause its hard or anything, im just curious how you are doing it.

if Super Ninja Controller is used, I convert db15 to RJ45.

if Ninja Controller is used, I convert db9 to RJ45

PCE cable is RJ45 at one end and PCE mini din at the other.

See thread here http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/r.100475/

Many vendors sell game console to RJ45 cables, check out focus attack.com, akishop, etc. My hope is that someone else makes these using extension cables from console5.com or eBay. The cables normally sold are very long, here using short cables would be better.

DIN Pin # - Cthulhu Column - NC/SNC db9/db15/rj45 pin #1 - V - 82 - A - 23 - B - 34 - C - 45 - F - 76 - E - 67 - D - 58 - G - 1

Not sure if the chip in the nes controllers is proprietary, but you could just gut old controllers but i think that would be cool. I do see they are possible through one of your carts but does the standard ninja controller support it? You could easily convert the atari cart to be an odyssey 2 cart. Cart used for master system would convert easily for msx. Edit: i think the master system cart is 100% compatible with the msx. Buttons are backward to each other but left button is pin 6 and right button is pin 9 on both controllers making them compatible. I will try to rack my brain and think of what other consoles are possible.

Edited by pimpmaul69

Not sure if the chip in the nes controllers is proprietary, but you could just gut old controllers but i think that would be cool. I do see they are possible through one of your carts but does the standard ninja controller support it? You could easily convert the atari cart to be an odyssey 2 cart. Cart used for master system would convert easily for msx. I will try to rack my brain and think of what other consoles are possible.

MCC cart supports 11 different consoles. So I won't be making dedicated carts for these systems.

Ninja Controller and Super Ninja Controller both support Ninja Carts. :)

Super Ninja Controller just allows controller to support Atari 5200 and NeoGeo, besides that they are the same for all other systems.

I have a list of systems I could support, Amiga, MSX, Odyssey 2, etc

MCC cart supports 11 different consoles. So I won't be making dedicated carts for these systems.

Ninja Controller and Super Ninja Controller both support Ninja Carts. :)

Super Ninja Controller just allows controller to support Atari 5200 and NeoGeo, besides that they are the same for all other systems.

I have a list of systems I could support, Amiga, MSX, Odyssey 2, etc

i made an edit above. You can call your master system cart an msx cart as well since their pinouts are 100% identical. I explained why above as well. Edited by pimpmaul69

i made an edit above. You can call your master system cart an msx cart as well since their pinouts are 100% identical. I explained why above as well.

No MSX here to test :( , so can't add it to the list

I have all the consoles here to test the 8 cartridges listed and have been testing them for a long time (besides MCC as I just ordered the pcb).

For consoles I don't have I would have to mail out a test pcb.

Atari 2600 and amiga (not amiga 32) should work on master system cart as well. With the amiga controllers its rapid fire (5v) is on pin 7 just like atari 2600 system so you would lose that option if your master system cart supports rapid fire. Using atari 2600 on master system cart you lose 5v rapid fire on atari too but you lose it on coleco controller cart too though so no loss there.

Edited by pimpmaul69

Atari 2600 and amiga (not amiga 32) should work on master system cart as well. Only diff with the amiga controllers is its rapid fire (5v) is on pin 5 so you would lose that option but still have a fully functioning controller. Same with the msx and atari 2600. But you lose 5v rapid fire on atari on coleco controller cart too

Amiga and SMS look to be the same, besides power pin. I might adjust SMS pcb to support Amiga with rapid fire as well. I have Amiga here so could test.

Now I just need examples of 4 way and 8 way games. I would assume that Astrosmash type games are 2 way, PacMan is 4 Way and Q-Bert is 8 way for example?

Dream would be a push click and rotate way to switch gates...that would be major mechanical engineering. I do have my older NeoGeo set with the 8 way so one of these with a four way...might be good.

At some point one of these type builds with a RetroPie set up build in will be the Ultimate Home Arcade System.

Amiga and SMS look to be the same, besides power pin. I might adjust SMS pcb to support Amiga with rapid fire as well. I have Amiga here so could test.

if you put 5v on pin 5 and 7 to support both you would gain 5v for rapid fire on 2600 as well. Edited by pimpmaul69

Now I just need examples of 4 way and 8 way games. I would assume that Astrosmash type games are 2 way, PacMan is 4 Way and Q-Bert is 8 way for example?

Dream would be a push click and rotate way to switch gates...that would be major mechanical engineering. I do have my older NeoGeo set with the 8 way so one of these with a four way...might be good.

At some point one of these type builds with a RetroPie set up build in will be the Ultimate Home Arcade System.

Here you go

Examples:

2-way games: Astrosmash, Space Armada, Space Patrol

4-way games: Boulder Dash, D2K, DK Arcade, Christmas Carol, Thunder Castle, Burgertime, Lock N Chase, Dig Dug, Frogger, Night Stalker, Ms. Pac-Man, Beauty and Beast, Super Chef BT, Donkey Kong Junior, Ms. Night Stalker, Piggy Bank

8-way games: River Raid, Match 5, Dreadnaught Factor, Commando, Mission X, Nova Blast, Empire Strikes Back, Atlantis, Copter Command

I wish I could make a custom joystick for this case, but best I could come up with is a 4-way gate. But at least with this controller you can support many consoles :)

• Like 1

ultimarc makes joysticks that switch between 4 way and 8 way by pulling up on joystick and twisting the joystick. They are too big for a neo geo stick however. Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

Thanks, you do good work, I'm not bitching. LOL

I only ask because the big problem is the ONLY game my wife plays is Q-Bert. LOL It's a small price to keep her happy. She lived above an Arcade in North Beach in San Francisco right by The Mabohay, the center of her Puck Rock world back then.

Jay

Here you go

I wish I could make a custom joystick for this case, but best I could come up with is a 4-way gate. But at least with this controller you can support many consoles :)

• Like 1

Humm, finding a case big enough and robust enough to house that plus a retro Pi set up....I wonder if non working INTV II's or INTV I's have there room and strength? Lot's of dead and dying units out there?

ultimarc makes joysticks that switch between 4 way and 8 way by pulling up on joystick and twisting the joystick. They are too big for a neo geo stick however.

Humm, finding a case big enough and robust enough to house that plus a retro Pi set up....I wonder if non working INTV II's or INTV I's have there room and strength? Lot's of dead and dying units out there?

they make wooden arcade stick cases that do work for all this. I posted a 2 player pi one in the ultimate flashback thread that i did for a friend. Please read your pm i sent you

In general the reason I use the NeoGeoX stick is that I like them, are easy to work with and have short throw joysticks. It makes the joystick really good for shooters and various other maze type games. On my full size cabinets I like to use Seimitsu LS-40, but that would require a larger joystick case. Some folks like plastic cases and some prefer wood cases like the very nice looking ones from Analogue Interactive. NeoGeoX cases are plastic and hence lighter and IMO work better on your lap.

The Ninja and Super Ninja Controllers I'm making here are really designed for people who like the NeoGeoX stick, but just don't want to have a bunch of them around for each game console they play. This way the smarts for the controller are in the modular cart and the controller is just a bunch of wires. This means making new or custom carts in the future is super easy, as long as it fits in a JLP cartridge case that is :)

These controllers will certainly work with Retro Pi using MCC cart (usb), however if you plan on using emulation vs. actual game console hardware then you could use a stock NeoGeoX stick (usb) or something similar and spend much less $.

• Like 1