IGNORED

"The Atari Book"

https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/the-atari-book.html-- I picked this up at the local Barnes + Noble. It's by the makers of "Retro Gamer", definitely my favorite retro magazine, though pricey as an important from the UK.

It was good! Will probably get a spot on my bookshelf, unlike their magazines (though I think I save some of their (annual?) "Collections")

Some wacky typos in it, which is unusual for these guys... most comically on page 12 an (Italian?) ad for Jungle Hunt is labeled as if it's for Pitfall...

It was cool to see such a cross section of Atari - the whole arcade saga, 2600, 8-bits, all the way up through Jaguar. It's amazing to think of what a diverse entity it was.

Here's someone's youtube review of it:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I like their bookazines, though they seem to be repeating themselves lately. I particularly like it when they compare different home ports of big games.

There's little much difference between the new Atari book and the 40th anniversary edition. A few new profiles, but it's fairly minimal. The page count and paper quality are also slightly lower, from what I can recall.

It's a shame that Retro Gamer don't print tribute magazines anymore*. It would be great to buy a physical copy of Atari ST Gamer in the newsagent.

* Live Publishing printed the Your Sinclair #94 and Zzap tribute mags and gave them away with early issues of Retro Gamer

There's little much difference between the new Atari book and the 40th anniversary edition. A few new profiles, but it's fairly minimal. The page count and paper quality are also slightly lower, from what I can recall.

It's a shame that Retro Gamer don't print tribute magazines anymore*. It would be great to buy a physical copy of Atari ST Gamer in the newsagent.

That's shitty of them to resell the same stuff with lower quality. I hope it was cheaper, at least.

Who needs tribute magazines? Print your own! https://archive.org/details/Atari_ST_User_Issue_097_1994-02_Europress_GB

Same price. They've blamed it on rising printing costs.

I've got a pristine copy of Atari ST User #97 already, but printing my own review compilation isn't a bad idea. Binding seems to be the major hurdle. Comb and thermal binding are cheap, but don't look as professional as a saddle stitch or perfect bound magazine.

Edited by drbobbins