IGNORED

Protector

Xgames

You buy Protector SE (incl goodies) + Resurgence CD, have both games in their place to play the expansion.

Info from seller:
http://www.songbird-productions.com/protector_resurgence.shtml

"Because this is an expansion CD and not a full game, a Protector SE cartridge is required to play this CD on the Jaguar 64-bit interactive multimedia system."

Don't hesitate.I haven't heard a single bad word about this game(s), that I will buy myself soon.

Edited by Atlantis

i thought it was an okay game. The gameplay is pretty solid and perhaps slightly above average. So if you can judge a game based only on gameplay, and love defender style space shooters, it's probably worth checking out.

However, I did have some reservations about it:

-Aside from the enemy sprites, the artwork is a little rough like it wasn't completely finished yet.

-The music is awful, most definitely would not have shipped with this music

-Do not expect mind blowing graphics, they are low color depth and would not look impressive even on the Genesis.

I personally sold my copy because those 3 factors kind of gave me an "rugged / unfinished genesis game" type feeling. The music is what really gets me the most tbh, but the other elements play a part too.

I liked Protector over Protector SE, but it's been far too long since I sold my copies of them to remember why.

I am of the unpopular opinion that Defender 2000 is a good game, so I get my defender fix on the Jaguar from that ;)

Edited by Willard
  • Like 2

Protector is the only true "Interactive multimedia cartridge" running together with Resurgence CD the system has up till today, as Atari promised them to be on the box covers. Get it to enjoy the unique multimedia experience!! :D Defender 2000 does not deliver that extravagant double experience. Just a descent argument for your consideration.

(Other multimedia cartridges might be the Memory cart, and By-pass cartridge if counted, I know.)

So do i buy the protector se or just the protector game for the use of the enhancement pack resurgence?

Honestly, I have Protector, Protector SE, and Protector Resurgence CD... and my favorite out of all of them, is the standard Protector. Great game.

Defender 2000 is also awesome. They are very similar, but play/feel to me seems very different.

Not so much a bad word, but having read Gamestm score it 6/10 a few years ago on an article on new games on old systems, i found Willard's post very interesting reading as it kind of sat nicely alongside it....espically since he is a fan of Defender 2000, which personally i came away very dissapointed with.

These 2 views offered a nice bit of counter balance to the more positive posts about it, i'd previousily read over the years.

Kind of reminded me of the classic Zzap64 review days.3 reviewers/sets of views, which gave a game a much better set of balance, i found.

....espically since he is a fan of Defender 2000, which personally i came away very dissapointed with.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Defender 2000. I think the game was done very well, and is exactly what I would have wanted / expected from a Defender remake in the "future" (circa ~1995). The game is very fast paced, the graphics are done very well, and the music is excellent. I love everything about it. There are times when I can't get past the first level, and then there are times when I'm so "in the groove" that I have to kill myself (in the game) because it's so intense that I just have to get away from it, and I leave (literally) with increased heart rate.

Protector though, I also like, equally. I hate to consider them similar games... because... while they are similar, they really don't feel similar to me. At times, I actually like Protector more, but like trying to choose between one of your kids... I can't do it. So I will say that Protector (to me) feels like it's much more true to the original Defender, but with modern graphics, sound, and game-play. I really, really, like Protector... while at the same time liking Defender 2000 for a completely different reason.

How come that the standard game is the best? Not over-kill?

I will admit, I've been busy lately, and I haven't played Protector in 6 months. I've touched the Jaguar once in the past 6 months, and it was only for about an hour when I busted out a game of JHL, Impulse-X, Another World, and Alice's Mom's Rescue.

BUT... I can't really remember WHY I liked Protector better than Protector SE. I do remember giving a pretty decent write-up (of my opinion) before on this somewhere... but for the life of me I can't remember. If I remember correctly, I felt like the original Protector was more playable. Not that Protector SE was not... but it felt like SE was just more difficult. Which doesn't make sense because I think it was supposed to be easier. There were new backgrounds and some different music, all of which is still awesome in my opinion... but when I would swap back and forth between Protector and Protector SE... it just "felt" like Protector was easier for me to play (or at least I died less quickly).

• Like 1

From my own tastes in gaming, i just don't think Jeff Minter is the man, as it were, to update Defender or do a personal take on it, that really works.I've not taken to his updates on the ST or Jaguar.

Archer MacLean, did a worthy take on it with Dropzone on A8/C64 and i really wish he'd followed it up with a 'true' sequel, much as i enjoy Super Dropzone on SNES/PS1....

Or at the very least an enhanced version for the ST back then:

http://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/dropzone-2/

Edited by Lost Dragon

Wwell thx all for the info i am going to grab it up and hope i enjoy he hell out of it.Thx for all the input also one more question is brett hall hockey or arena football and hyper force any good those are mainly the only others that i havent tried aside from total carnage.I got towers 2 and skyhammer love them both but i just cant tell if hyper force or total carnage would be worth the price tag.I did buy orions game elsnar and philla great games oh and obsorberer is great aswell loved it.I just want to get something a bit diffrent then the usual common games.

Well i got the protector SE and the resurgence expansion cost me a pretty penny so i hope i will enjoy them and i think i will.So can anyone tell me does songbird ship quickly ?

Normally, yes he does! Should have them within a week I'd venture to guess. Has always shipped my stuff Priority.

Well never played soccer kid or protector atleast not yet i havent played them but Skyhammer i have been playing since i opened the box.Once you get used to how the map system and all workes it is fun as hell graphics really are good.Advancing your skyhammer is a good touch also when you use the transit system it is a nice touch ^^.I think you will enjoy that one .

Wwell thx all for the info i am going to grab it up and hope i enjoy he hell out of it.Thx for all the input also one more question is brett hall hockey or arena football and hyper force any good those are mainly the only others that i havent tried aside from total carnage.I got towers 2 and skyhammer love them both but i just cant tell if hyper force or total carnage would be worth the price tag.I did buy orions game elsnar and philla great games oh and obsorberer is great aswell loved it.I just want to get something a bit diffrent then the usual common games.

I hate to talk bad about a game... but Hyper Force didn't really do it for me. I think the game COULD be awesome, but I just felt that the main character in the game is ENORMOUS on the field. It REALLY feels like the character needs to be half the size that he is, even if nothing else changed. Your character takes up basically 1/4th of the screen if I remember correctly, so moving around is weird.

Total Carnage is pretty cool... and definitely one of my more favorite games on the Jag.

I hate to talk bad about a game... but Hyper Force didn't really do it for me. I think the game COULD be awesome, but I just felt that the main character in the game is ENORMOUS on the field. It REALLY feels like the character needs to be half the size that he is, even if nothing else changed. Your character takes up basically 1/4th of the screen if I remember correctly, so moving around is weird.

I liked Hyper Force at first, but eventually it just became more of the same. The over sized character sprite reminded me of some Lynx games so it wasn't so bad, it's just tiring when you run into nothing but the same enemy sprites over and over.

Thx again for the input you guys mentioning how large he is out on the field almost makes me want to get it just to see lol.But i will probably head for total carnage next the game almost reminds me of a ikari warriors or bad dudes but there is one thing is the total carnage game a game that will last awhile or is it a short 10 lvl no replay value type game the only reason i ask is again there is a steep price tag on that one and i would just like to get some others input on it thx in advance.Also how would i get a hold of the another world game for the jaguar without getting it from ebay there prices are just insane right now.

Re: Total Carnage: Levels are long and the game is pretty tough due to the controls. The keypad does allow for discrete aiming of your gun. Just throw an overlay on so your thumb can more easily glide over the buttons. That's the way I tried to like playing the game when I had it. :lol: