IGNORED

Trying to get an old Gizmondo running...question about AC adapter/battery

Hey all,

I inherited a Gizmondo (assuming it is a U.S. unit) without a battery or an AC Adapter/power supply of any sort. I know next to nothing about this console other than the name alone. I've found a couple listings for the Gizmondo power supply but have had nearly no luck tracking down a battery (other than purchasing a full Gizmondo unit on ebay, which I'm not interested in.

I guess a couple questions here:

Can you run the Gizmondo with its power supply plugged in and no battery installed? I don't really need to take this "on the go" with me. If not, is there an easy replacement battery option. I stumbled onto some old forum posts elsewhere claiming you can "convert" a couple different mobile batteries, but I have no idea what would go into that or if that means you can simply take that battery and plug it right in.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated!

I have a Gizmondo with a dead battery and it works just fine when plugged in with an adapter, and it works even if the battery isn't in the handheld. I'm not sure the whole story but there was a problem with the batteries used in the Giz and they have pretty much all died which is why you can't find any for sale.

• Like 1

Oh my god someone actually acknowledged the Gizmondo. lol

Please post your impressions when you get it working, there's so little info about this console on the internet besides the Wikipedia page that I'm really curious what it's like.

Well - just an update, I got an AC Adapter I ordered off of ebay (guy is also selling a complete and fully boxed console on there for $110). Plugged the gizmondo (sans battery of course) into the wall and nothing happened. I'm not sure if there might be some special button presses I need to do to "wake it up", but I'm a bit bummed right now. Can't tell what is dead (unit or the adapter), or if the unit I have is possibly one from the UK and the wall charger is a US one (it fits fine though...). Will keep tinkering...

• 3 years later...

I'm sure that no one is looking for this info, but I was able to get my Gizmondo (with battery) running with a third-party power adapter ("Soulbay 30W universal AC adapter") purchased from Amazon. It has voltage settings on the back, and you can easy select the 6V setting required by this device. One of the positive power tips included with the system is a usable substitute for the Gizmondo's proprietary (and now impossible to find) power supply.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 8:10 AM, davidcalgary29 said:

you can easy select the 6V setting required by this device

OOPS! I've been using a 5V adapter on mine for, I guess decades... and it still works fine, (battery still works as well, I wonder if the undervolt condition helped preserve the battery?)

• 2 weeks later...