IGNORED

Game Of The Year 2015

vprette

Game of the Year 2015  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What is your choice for Game of the Year 2015?

• Boulder Dash
    • Ms. Pac-Man
    • Takeover
    • Copter Command
    • Brickout
    • Flapee Bird
    • Princess Quest
    • Piggy Bank
    • Number Jumble
    • Game Factory

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

If the pace of quality across genres keeps up, we may nees a GOTY in 2-3 categories, having less categories than game releases so there can be competition. That could put Princess Quest vs Piggy Bank since their genres are the same, Ms Pac man vs Boulderdash, etc.

The GOTY becomes more of a popularity contest than an objective thing without some kind of categorization. Piggy Bank is awesome but how can it be compared to Ms Pac Man when they are totally different genres, and this time next year when your wife is semi-interested in your Intellivision gaming I suspect you are not going to pull Piggy Bany off the shelf but somehow it seems destined to win 2015's contest.

But it is indeed - and has always been -- a popularity contest. This is why it is a poll among the members of the community and not some formal selection panel.

And if Piggy wins, or if it is getting a significant number of votes, then perhaps the community is trying to say something.

Also, I disagree with your comment about Piggy Bank's replayability. I think it is a lot of fun and can see myself playing it in the future.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

I should stay out of this conversation, but I won't. LOL

It will always be hard for games like Piggy Bank, a game that you have never heard of to compete with a real Marquee Brand along the lines of Ms. Pac-Man or Boulder Dash! Your first impulse would be to always pick out Ms Pac-Man or Donkey Kong, Burgertime, Centipede, Qbert or Boulder Dash, to take those off the shelf. These games have been famous for 35 years for a reason. You know them and have played them for years. It would be very unlikely to have a home-brew, post 2000 game to have the allure of games like this. These are sexy brands..."In 2009, Game Informer put Ms. Pac-Man 10th on their list of "The Top 200 Games of All Time", saying that it "trumped [the original Pac-Man] in nearly every way."

I think that is what First Spear was trying to say. My wife loves Piggy Bank and is good at it, but plays Qbert when the Intellivision comes out. LOL

Edited by BBWW
  • Like 1

I should stay out of this conversation, but I won't. LOL

It will always be hard for games like Piggy Bank, a game that you have never heard of to compete with a real Marquee Brand along the lines of Ms. Pac-Man or Boulder Dash!

It may seem like so to some, but reality shows differently. Take a look above at the poll. ;)

Yes, it is hard to compete with such brand names, especially in getting noted. Some of those games have a built-in audience, which is part of the reason they are made.

However, experience shows that once you cross over the marketing hard-lines and get into people's hands, if the game is truly good, it will shine.

I've been fortunate to have seen this with my own game, and this poll shows a similar trend towards Piggy Bank. Even if it doesn't win, it has already made its mark. :)

dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Also, I disagree with your comment about Piggy Bank's replayability. I think it is a lot of fun and can see myself playing it in the future.

Actually, I don't think that he was saying anything about the replay-ability (sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth, First Spear) but I thought that he was saying that, if showing off the system to someone else, you'd likely pull out Ms. Pac-man. That's not necessarily saying anything about how FUN either game is ... it's more a statement to pulling in a non-Intellivision fan to the system through something visually familiar and pleasing which Ms. Pac-man is.

By the votes, I think that much of the community is saying that they love unique games. Personally, as impressive as Ms. Pac-man is (and may still get my vote), it's not the only copy of the game that I have. Piggy Bank, as a fun, unique title, gets some bonus points.

Personally, I will always prefer a unique title over a port.

Actually, I don't think that he was saying anything about the replay-ability (sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth, First Spear) but I thought that he was saying that, if showing off the system to someone else, you'd likely pull out Ms. Pac-man. That's not necessarily saying anything about how FUN either game is ... it's more a statement to pulling in a non-Intellivision fan to the system through something visually familiar and pleasing which Ms. Pac-man is.

By the votes, I think that much of the community is saying that they love unique games. Personally, as impressive as Ms. Pac-man is (and may still get my vote), it's not the only copy of the game that I have. Piggy Bank, as a fun, unique title, gets some bonus points.

Personally, I will always prefer a unique title over a port.

The comment was:

and this time next year when your wife is semi-interested in your Intellivision gaming I suspect you are not going to pull Piggy Bany off the shelf

To me that says that, a year from now, when you go play again, you'll have completely forgotten about Piggy, and play something else. In other words, that it is just hype.

If that is what he meant, then I disagree. That is all.

dZ.

Voted vor Piggy. I do not even own this game, but I really dont think Ms. Pac-Man should get the crown.

You should check it out, it's pretty cool. I don't know if the ROM is out or perhaps it'll be released in the future.

dZ.

Many years ago I used to really enjoy a game called "Superplex" and played the crap out of it and only recently discovered it was a clone of Boulder Dash.

I guess that explains the familiarity I felt for a game I had not played until the Elektronite release.

Voted vor Piggy. I do not even own this game, but I really dont think Ms. Pac-Man should get the crown.

Wait a minute.....I can't let this one go.

You haven't played the game you voted for yet you may sway the entire GOTY by voting against a hugely popular and famous arcade game which is pretty much on every system ever made and FINALLY made it to the Intellivision.

With original levels and gameplay, it wasn't just transferred over. AND it came in a great designed box! Oh well...

• Like 1

Hey, nice first post! I wonder who you........someone who created an account to rig the vote! So be it, they are just video games after all.

I'm an artist and have worked with Blah Blah Woof Woof, I got turned on to the games by Piggy Bank.

Edited by Bhava

Wait a minute.....I can't let this one go.

You haven't played the game you voted for yet you may sway the entire GOTY by voting against a hugely popular and famous arcade game which is pretty much on every system ever made and FINALLY made it to the Intellivision.

With original levels and gameplay, it wasn't just transferred over. AND it came in a great designed box! Oh well...

We can't let the integrity of the vote get in the way of grudges and biases can we?

Ideally, every voter would have played every eligible game and chosen the one they prefer. If that isn't possible, then they should consider the ones they HAVE played and choose the best one. That is still a compromise however, and still skews the results. People holding off their vote to the end to vote 'against' other games or to decide the winner is bogus. Obviously, this is just my personal opinion but I see little value in this 'competition' and wish to withdraw all of my games from 'GOTY' next year. If I 'win' I will not accept. I see little value in this whole exercise.

• Like 2