IGNORED

Announcing Berzerk for CV!

Kamshaft

50 minutes ago, Tony Cruise said:

Another quick update of my Berzerk port for the original Colecovision.

• Added a graphic to the main title screen based on the Marquee
  • Laid out the High Score screen with any current high scores (added some initial static scores)
  • Demo mode now displays robots and they move and shoot
  • Fixed a couple of bugs in the game play (not shown)

Next it's onto:

• Evil Otto
  • Collision detection tweaks and adjustments
  • Robot AI bug fixes and adjustments
  • High Score entry
  • Play Testing!!

Hi Tony, what are you using to play speech? Looking great! 

Edited by artrag

Hi Tony, what are you using to play speech? Looking great! 

Just normal Coleco sound chip, using the Math Lab based sample generation code, not perfect but doesn’t do a too bad job considering the limitations of volume control on the sound chip.
One sound effect or voice at one time, so have a priority for player shoot sound and the rest only start if the queue is clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Tony Cruise said:

Just normal Coleco sound chip, using the Math Lab based sample generation code, not perfect but doesn’t do a too bad job considering the limitations of volume control on the sound chip.
One sound effect or voice at one time, so have a priority for player shoot sound and the rest only start if the queue is clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it my algorithm?

If yes, you are probably the sole using my encoder in a game (after uridium for colecovision I mean).

Nice to know my tool is being used I'm the scene 

3 hours ago, artrag said:

Is it my algorithm?

If yes, you are probably the sole using my encoder in a game (after uridium for colecovision I mean).

I have also used it in tank mission & boot hill for sfx. Works well. Thanks.

Bezerk is looking really good to Tony. Looking forward to it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, artrag said:

Is it my algorithm?

Ah yes definitely your routine, it works very well.  I think the sound effects are very close to the arcade now, and you can understand the speech so it is doing it's job well.  I am going to write a wrapper routine that allows you to queue up a set of sounds, as the voices in Berzerk are made up of quite a few words in combination.

• Like 1

Next update of my port of Berzerk for the Colecovision.

Evil Otto makes an appearance, and chases the player!

Pretty much functionality complete, but I have quite a few tidy-ups and speech/collision/timing tweaks to do, but extended play testing will be started very soon!

• Like 5

On 5/3/2020 at 3:44 AM, Tony Cruise said:

and you can understand the speech so it is doing it's job well.  

Sorry, if my question sounds stupid.  But on the videos you posted is there speech?   What does it say?   If there is  i guess it is because i'm not native speaker to understand.

But great job, your version looks awesome! :)

On 5/10/2020 at 3:47 AM, youki said:

Sorry, if my question sounds stupid.  But on the videos you posted is there speech?   What does it say?   If there is  i guess it is because i'm not native speaker to understand.

But great job, your version looks awesome! :)

The speech is never going to be super clear, but it is recognizable, on start-up it is currently saying 'Destroy'.

During the game the robot chatter, currently rotates through:

- Kill

- Attack

- Alert

- Shoot

- Intruder

- Destroy

This will change to multi-word chatter made up of a number of words e.g. Kill the Intruder/Humanoid

When you die, it is saying:

- Got the humanoid, got the intruder

If you leave the screen and haven't killed all the Robots it says:

- Chicken Fight Like A Robot (although this is one I would like to tweak i.e. it is not very clear).

Well Berzerk for the Colecovision is now functionality complete and ready for some initial testing.
All speech sentences are done, all player, robot and Evil Otto actions are done.
There will probably be more Robot AI tweaks and collision detection improvements.

• Like 10

Looks really good. Pretty much ready to go.

Here's a few things I see but not necessary.

Otto's jump seems too linear. perhaps not jump so high and slow towards the peak of the jump.

In the preview the robot seems to move a larger step size then in the game play itself. Is that a speedup that happens later in the levels?

The fx are cool. I think if you have a high pitch initial digital file might convert clearer. I used the same compressor a few times.

Maybe even slow it down a bit so the lack of bit stream size has a longer time to create the sfx. so maybe stretch out to %150 or %200 length of the sample before you convert it.

Edited by digress

5 hours ago, zaphro72 said:

Is the clipping of the sprite what makes it look like a bouncy ball effect?

Yes that is Otto squashing during his bounce, its the same as the arcade.  I have noticed that I am missing Otto's appearance animation, so will add that.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, digress said:

Looks really good. Pretty much ready to go.

Here's a few things I see but not necessary.

Otto's jump seems too linear. perhaps not jump so high and slow towards the peak of the jump.

In the preview the robot seems to move a larger step size then in the game play itself. Is that a speedup that happens later in the levels?

The fx are cool. I think if you have a high pitch initial digital file might convert clearer. I used the same compressor a few times.

Maybe even slow it down a bit so the lack of bit stream size has a longer time to create the sfx. so maybe stretch out to %150 or %200 length of the sample before you convert it.

Thank you, all feedback is definitely welcome:

- Yes Otto does jump just a bit too high, it's little tweaks like this that are left to do (there are some collisions with the walls that are a little off as well).

- I probably don't have the same tick counter for the demo/preview screen - I'll have a look

- Good idea with the speech samples, I didn't think of slowing down the original WAV's first, I will try that. 'Chicken' in particular is hard to understand.  I have room left in the Rom, and can compress the graphics (not compressed at the moment) if I do run out.

I notice in the video when you get killed, you die but the screen is not redrawn with a new room and new positions for the robots to be in.  A randomly very bad situation would basically end the game as happens in one of the videos posted.  Also, I noticed the difficulty ramped up more quickly.  In the arcade I know you get a couple screens of red before it moves on to the next color. It looks like the dust is not killing your guy.

I think the speech needs a little more tweaking.

Looks great though. Looking forward to the release.

8 hours ago, christo930 said:

I notice in the video when you get killed, you die but the screen is not redrawn with a new room and new positions for the robots to be in.  A randomly very bad situation would basically end the game as happens in one of the videos posted.  Also, I noticed the difficulty ramped up more quickly.  In the arcade I know you get a couple screens of red before it moves on to the next color. It looks like the dust is not killing your guy.

I think the speech needs a little more tweaking.

Looks great though. Looking forward to the release.

The room randomization has a bug at the moment, was working, one of the things I need to clean up.

I need to have the robot firing go through two levels of speed.

I'll keep playing with the speech, but there are limits to what the sound chip can do.

• Like 1

Just had a look at the video, in which the game is looking really good by the way.  So I don't know if its somehow my computer or computer speakers (which I don't seemingly have problems with)...but I can't make out any speech at all.  In the instances when I believe speech is to be audible, (say, when Evil Otto enters a room), I just hear a bunch of digital sounds, bleeps and bloops and the likes, not what I can hear/decipher as speech.  Does anybody else experience this...or is this somehow a problem with my PC?  

33 minutes ago, doubledown said:

Just had a look at the video, in which the game is looking really good by the way.  So I don't know if its somehow my computer or computer speakers (which I don't seemingly have problems with)...but I can't make out any speech at all.  In the instances when I believe speech is to be audible, (say, when Evil Otto enters a room), I just hear a bunch of digital sounds, bleeps and bloops and the likes, not what I can hear/decipher as speech.  Does anybody else experience this...or is this somehow a problem with my PC?  

I can't hear speech too. Only wired sounds

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...