IGNORED

Season 14 Round 2 - Arkanoid

CGQuarterly

Welcome to round 12 of the 14th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

This round we are playing the Taito classic Arkanoid.

This is the 187th round of the AtariAge NES HSC.

The last time we played this game, the round started on September 15, 2006.

The all-time AA NES HSC high score for this game is 135,560, posted by Malc74.

This round ends on Sunday, January 24th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0AHuD-73E

Title: Arkanoid

Developer: Taito

Publisher: Taito/Nintendo

Released: August 1987

Game Rules: None that I can think of.

Basic HSC Rules

Continues are never allowed.

"Cheats" of any kind are never allowed. Anyone caught cheating will be permanently banned.

You must play the game between the time that the round is posted, and the time that it ends. "Old" scores are not allowed.

Standard "Formula 1" scoring (25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1) is used for every round.

Any score that is above the previously-posted high score will receive a 5 point bonus.

Screenshots are encouraged but not required.

Point-pressing is discouraged.

The HSC moderator has the final say and reserves the right to reject submitted scores.

Scores So Far

mihcael 99,700

jblenkle 43,790

DonPedro 43,650

darthkur 30,140

Lid 25,260

asponge 20,690

roadrunner 270

Current Standings

1. Dashopepper 30

2. darthkur 18

3. roadrunner 15

4. DonPedro 12

5. asponge 10

6. S.BAZ 8

7. Retrogamer81081 6

8. jblenkle 4

Edited by Jibbajaba
  • Like 1

I originally had the same problem. I found that my emulator defaulted to using the mouse instead of the game pad. Once I specifically switched the input it worked fine. I didn't know this before, but this game apparently had a spinner controller packaged with the cart. Hence the spinner emulation via the mouse.

Btw,I've been playing with the game pad, but wondering if the mouse control would be legal for this game. Technically it's not a spinner. What's the consensus on this?

I originally had the same problem. I found that my emulator defaulted to using the mouse instead of the game pad. Once I specifically switched the input it worked fine. I didn't know this before, but this game apparently had a spinner controller packaged with the cart. Hence the spinner emulation via the mouse.

Btw,I've been playing with the game pad, but wondering if the mouse control would be legal for this game. Technically it's not a spinner. What's the consensus on this?

Thanks for the info. My wireless mouse doesn't work on this computer so 270 is all i got.

I have been playing A LOT of the C64 version with Atari paddles lately (just by coincidence). This version looks good, but paddle games in emulation suck wang. Something about the way the frames refresh (or something else I don't understand) take all the fun out of it. I gave it a shot and scored about 25k, but it was a chore. On the C64, I've gotten to the final boss 2x and scored above 500k.

A few months ago, I passed on a Vaus controller in a local game store. It was in a bin of other old and random NES controllers. It didn't look too bad, but I had no guarantee it would work and the shop wanted $30. Maybe someday . . .

Wow, I would love to have a Vaus controller, but $30 would be a hard pill to swallow. I would probably pay $20, tops. Arkanoid + Vaus used to be a sought-after item but looking at eBay listings, maybe not so much anymore.

Anywho, today is the last day for this game! I have to remember to submit a score, myself!

Wow, I would love to have a Vaus controller, but $30 would be a hard pill to swallow. I would probably pay $20, tops.

That is pretty much exactly what I thought too.

FWIW, I beat the C64 version today. Here are some tips for anyone trying for a last minute high score (or for 10 years from now when this game comes up in the HSC again).

• Get as many bonus capsules as you can because their points get you extra men faster
  • EXCEPT - Don't get the "D" capsule unless you plan it well ahead. When in doubt don't divide that ball
  • One reason to avoid D is that while multiple balls are live, no other capsules will fall.
  • The laser is tempting, but use it sparingly. I can't tell for sure, but I think fewer capsules fall when you shoot bricks as opposed to breaking them
  • Don't always skip a board when you get the opportunity. The levels are planned in such a way as to give you the opportunity for big points on some. Don't skip those points.

• 2 weeks later...

mihcael 99,700 +25

jblenkle 43,790 +18

DonPedro 43,650 +15

Lid 34,160 +12

darthkur 30,140 +10

Jibbajaba 25,610 +8

asponge 20,690 +6

roadrunner 270 +4

1. Dashopepper 30

2. darthkur 28

3. DonPedro 27