IGNORED

Help please! Game room destroyed by cat!

MH_Warrior

Hey folks...I'm hoping some of you may be willing to help me out. A few days ago, one of my cats got into my game room and chewed the cords of several of my game systems. Among the items destroyed: the coax connections to my 4-switch 2600 AND Intellivision, and the controllers for my SNES, Dreamcast, Genesis, N64 and NES. As you can probably guess, I am heartbroken. The 2600 is probably a lost cause, unless someone can (affordably) re-solder/mod it. I am a collector who just likes to play games, so I'm not all that concerned with cosmetics...just like the stuff to work. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Also, I'm not getting rid of the cat. I'm putting a latch on the door, though.

• Like 1

I can resolder the coax on your 2600 and intellivision easily. No charge just need to provide parts and pay for return postage.

I have a few nes genesis, and i think a few spare of Dreamcast controllers also

Send me a pm if interested and i can provide feedback info for my ebay acct and afew other sites.

• Like 1

the coax cable for 2600 will just unplug from inside unit to replace , should be same cable as the INTV that unplugs from outside back of that unit

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/148542-atari-2600-missingdamaged-rf-cable-alternative/

( I just noticed Best Electronics is sold out of them :_( ) http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/2600_Tech_Tips.htm#based

I was about to mention that I did notice the Intellivision cable was detachable. But now that I know the 2600 can use the same cord, that is great news. I did notice that someone is doing composite mods, so if I can't find those odd RCA-looking coax cables, at least there's another option.

Yeah the 2600 for sure is super simple to fix. You just need any rca cable red/white/yellow they are all the same and the color really means nothing. Just pop out 4 or 6screws unplug the damaged one and plug the new rca in and done. It's nice to re-route the wire through the plastic pieces like they had it to make sure it stays snug and can't pull out if it gets tugged on.

BTW: not sure how often you take your cats in to the vet for checkups (I try to get mine in once a year, but I'm the only cat owner I've ever known that actually follows the expensive and routine recommendations - ha!), but once when my cat decided to change up her behavior (not using the litterbox in this case), finally took her in and discovered she had stones in her bladder. Was a super big deal, was in a lot of pain apparently and she was only trying everything she could to "tell" us that something was wrong.

Might not be your situation at all, but thought I'd mention it since I'd assume something was up if my cat ever did that to any of my cords and other misc. stuff laying around. :(

• Like 2

I gatta dig though my stuff , been busy with the holidays & all

I may have a SNES cable & good chance a dead N64 controllerI can scavange cable from.

BTW: not sure how often you take your cats in to the vet for checkups (I try to get mine in once a year, but I'm the only cat owner I've ever known that actually follows the expensive and routine recommendations - ha!), but once when my cat decided to change up her behavior (not using the litterbox in this case), finally took her in and discovered she had stones in her bladder. Was a super big deal, was in a lot of pain apparently and she was only trying everything she could to "tell" us that something was wrong.

Might not be your situation at all, but thought I'd mention it since I'd assume something was up if my cat ever did that to any of my cords and other misc. stuff laying around. :(

excellent post. I do hope your kitty is in good health ....

hopefully just needs it's own cat toys

Thanks for the input so far. My wife and I do keep a watchful eye on my cats' health (I have two), but the one has always been a chewer and we haven't been able to figure out how to break her of it. The best I've been able to do is just conceal the wires as much as humanly possible. Other than that, my game systems with wired controllers are all hooked up to my CRT in my man cave where they're not allowed. The one time I was caught slipping and didn't make sure the door was securely shut is when all the damage occurred.

At least after tomorrow, the 2600 and Intellivision will be back up and running.

well, the yellow ones are supposed to be 75 ohm shielded coax for video, now if they are or not depends on the cable, and could be more susceptible to interference if they are not

I always wondered if there was a real difference. I have never been able to tell by swapping them. I use different colors on dvd players, nes systems, and all sorts of stuff. I was never able to tell a difference. The one time I did replace a cut Atari cable I did use a yellow as I had one on hand however if all I had was red or white I would have used that as well.

I have used red and white numerous time on nes systems and never seen any problems with the video output. I'm actually pretty sure I cut the ends off a set one time and could not see any difference at all. I am not too informed on the matter so I guess the yellow could have had a thicker shielding than the others and I didn't notice it.

What are the red and whites suppose to be rated at?

I always wondered if there was a real difference. I have never been able to tell by swapping them. I use different colors on dvd players, nes systems, and all sorts of stuff. I was never able to tell a difference. The one time I did replace a cut Atari cable I did use a yellow as I had one on hand however if all I had was red or white I would have used that as well.

I have used red and white numerous time on nes systems and never seen any problems with the video output. I'm actually pretty sure I cut the ends off a set one time and could not see any difference at all. I am not too informed on the matter so I guess the yellow could have had a thicker shielding than the others and I didn't notice it.

What are the red and whites suppose to be rated at?

its not really the ratings but the construction, a lot of cables just use coax for everything, some use pairs side by side like a lamp cord, which I bet you would notice a difference with those ... maybe not so much on RF since there's a bunch of junk in the signal to begin with, but composite or component probably

Ok, to give an update: Today I went to my local game store guy and he gave me trade in credit for my chewed controllers to use towards some repro replacements. I also went to Radio Shack and got the phono to coax adapters for the 2600 and Intellivision. The latter works perfectly, and so does the former so long as I remove the top shell to play it. Since the new connection sticks up so high, I have a feeling that's how it's gonna have to stay, unless I were to drill a hole though the top of it, which I do not want to do. I'm fine with how it is right now. The third party controllers (Genesis, SNES and N64) are a little stiff but they get the job done.

Now all I need are one more SNES controller and as many N64 and Dreamcast controllers as I can get my hands on.

I'm confused, there should be plenty of room in the Atari for an a/v cable to plug in. What did you use to plug into the Atari?

While I don't have an Atari open now I do have a pic of a shell I had cleaned before and sold. The green circle is where you plug the cable in and the yellow is how it runs through the plastic.

post-25078-0-49775800-1452381345_thumb.jpg

^ Those work well, but you can always just grind down the tip on the cable.

I'm confused, there should be plenty of room in the Atari for an a/v cable to plug in. What did you use to plug into the Atari?

While I don't have an Atari open now I do have a pic of a shell I had cleaned before and sold. The green circle is where you plug the cable in and the yellow is how it runs through the plastic.

attachicon.gifaaaaa.jpg

I just noticed the link with the video I posted above he uses an RCA male to coax female he starts with a Jr. model them goes to a light sixer where the connection inside is at an angle already

https://youtu.be/w_CoVw-P0xc?t=88

the 4 switch models the board is parallel with the top of the console & very little room for bending just an RCA cable alone with strain relief even after grinding the tip down (let alone adding the adapter inside)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the SNES controller cable I was looking for, I sent to another member already

the dead N64 controller is a floppy thumbstick ... the cable is soldered to the PCB inside