IGNORED

Best 130xe Power Supply replacement available

TheEditor

Personally i like the 5V 2.5A power supplies often used with routers like the D-Link products. They are reliable switching power supplies that are exceptionally inexpensive (thrift stores usually sell these for $2).

I just hacked the DIN connector off of one of the terrible Atari 5V supplies, but the DIN connectors are otherwise common enough.

Although not authentically vintage like the 800XL styled "rebuildable" power supply, I think this is the best in terms of reliability and practicality.

• Like 2

someone needs to sell these already configured for Atari,.

As far as I can see, making up the connector is exceptionally easy as its just a single voltage. If you own old computers you will have to get your hands dirty at some point. And as projects go, adding a DIN to a 5v switched mode PSU is one of the easier ones.

Pity the C64 owners who have 5v DC AND 9v AC which makes everything complicated and expensive (unless you are prepared to tolerate 2 PSU's going into one unit, something that would make me very unhappy!).

I've done both, and the major advantage that I see is that you can supply more amps with the switchers if you are also supplying a hard drive, etc. Right now, I'm using the "Black Beauty" rebuildable + a separate 5 VDC switcher for my Black Box. But if I decide to supply the BB from the Atari (and get rid of another PS and cord), I would need to use the switcher to have enough current. Short of that kind of usage, either supply is just fine.

Kyle, well stuff like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Supply-for-ATARI-XL-XE-NEW-EU-UK-plug-adapter-converter-/172036361526?hash=item280e2a8d36:g:qHcAAOSwgQ9V0Jzi

There is also a US-guy that hands-builds them, but I couldn't find him when I looked.

I think I have enough parts to build 4 supplies. They are 5V 2A switching supplies with a DIN5, ready to use. $15 + shipping, I am based in the US. If anyone is interested, let me know.

• Like 2

Stephen, the supply I have, which is stock 130xe, is output rated at 5V, 1.5A. You are stating 5V, 2A. Isn't that too HOT for the connection and won't it cause excessive strain on the components being .5A higher?

No. The power supply doesn't "dump" current. Current is determined by the amount of resistance to a voltage. If the computer uses 1Amp, any supply from 1Amp to 1 million Amps will power it fine.

BTW - I verified I have enough parts to make 5 supplies. The DIN connectors are metal and the pins are gold plated.

• Like 1