IGNORED

What do you regret throwing away?

BillyHW

I don't think I ever bought a boxed cartridge game. I'm not sure I bought a new game on a console until the Dreamcast era. In fact, Skies of Arcadia might have been the first new game I actually bought. Always used and very few games. Money was a real issue for us. Now I kind of want to. I have some Genesis boxes that I got in a lot recently but all this talk makes me want to own a cardboard box or two.

...screw this site.... :P

I kept mine back then. It kind of pained me when I eventually flattened them to save space. I also kept NES boxes, SNES boxes, and random other boxes.

I received a 2600 in Spring 1982, and I sold it about a year later to buy an actual computer. I kept all of my boxes (and manuals); indeed I used them to store the games, so they were in less than pristine condition. Of course I only had about six cartridges: Combat, Asteroids, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Bezerk, and Pitfall.

I would have been 11 to 12 years old at the time.

I kept all my boxes and manuals, too. I was 12 when I my parents bought me the VCS (light sixer). I kept the games and instructions in their boxes, on a shelf in the entertainment unit that held the family TV and the VCS.

I was a year or two younger than you guys. In retrospect, wish I was older - would have a little more culpability/respect for these tangible items. :|

• Like 1

I do regret tossing my gaming mags as well- not so much because I want them back, but because I wish I could've found someone who wanted them instead of recycling them.

Oh man, don't even remind me.. I really miss the Nintendo Power mags I had. I started subscribing on the second year, and had every issue up until the Game Cube era. Really wish I still had those. I have managed to nab a few in the wild and it's a blast going back through them again. Truly a great magazine, particularly in its earlier days.

I "had" that same watch when I was a kid.

I'll never forget it's fate though. Was in 5th grade at the time ('83). I was in the bathroom just got done using the urinal... yep you guessed it - the damn thing took a plunge. Somehow the band broke on it right when I was done doing my business. And of course it happened to land at the most convenient spot possible. :mad: I did manage to get it out of there, but it was fubared... (bizarre how I remember this)...

I was looking to get another one recently and can't believe some of the prices these are going for AND actually selling! :-o

Oh yeah, they go for ridiculous money now. It actually was a well designed version of the game which was pretty amazing for a watch at that time. I remember my school friends were amazed by it.

Edited by LiqMat

In the late '90s I bought this Pong keychain LCD game--made by Tiger IIRC--at Best Buy; I was interested in prehistoric games, and it cost something like $5.00. I had a bit of fun with it (for an LCD game it wasn't too bad), and even performed what may have been my first-ever "hardware mod" by opening it up and snipping the wires to the annoying little speaker (I can't recall why I did that; the sound must have been obnoxious).

It's not something I'd be playing all the time, of course, but I kind of miss it a little bit now and then, and they don't seem to turn up very often.

Another thing I regret is letting friends borrow games. A few of them, I never saw again. :|

• Like 1

I threw away an Aquarius and Odyssey2 when I was moving. No one wanted them at the time. :( Other than that I have not really thrown away much except 5200 game boxes when I was a kid, so can't really blame me for that one. I also trashed the boxes for our Wico sticks that we bought when the original 5200 sticks did the thing that they all do... wish I had those as well.

I let my parents trash my Apple II GS that I salvaged from a local kindergarten because I thought the only games available for it were edutainment titles. It had the original monitor and floppy drive, too. :(

• Like 1

Another thing I regret is letting friends borrow games. A few of them, I never saw again. :|

One of the greatest sins we mere mortals can make! This extends to other forms of media as well - books, tapes, records, cassettes, VHS, DVD's, etc. Only took one example for me to have learned that lesson decades ago.

Scratch that… lent a buddy a DVD recently and was returned to me with some kind of foreign substance I have yet to clean off, near the spindle. Almost as if he had been eating chocolate, then pinched the disc back into place. Uggh…. that better be chocolate! :sick: :woozy:

One of the greatest sins we mere mortals can make! This extends to other forms of media as well - books, tapes, records, cassettes, VHS, DVD's, etc. Only took one example for me to have learned that lesson decades ago.

Scratch that… lent a buddy a DVD recently and was returned to me with some kind of foreign substance I have yet to clean off, near the spindle. Almost as if he had been eating chocolate, then pinched the disc back into place. Uggh…. that better be chocolate! :sick: :woozy:

I have one friend to whom I'd loan anything I own and know without a doubt that it would come back in the same or better condition than when it left. Note that I'm using the word "one" here, as in singular. He gets to borrow whatever he wants. Others, not so much.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I went to a boarding school overseas from where my parents were. For four years I collected a bunch of computer games and such. When I graduated, I asked my Dad to bring a Van to pick up me and my stuff. He brought a compact car.

So I threw away all my boxes for almost everything because of lack of space. I regret that a lot because I had some PC games that are now very collectible. Same goes with my Gameboy stuff.

I also regret not Keeping my Zelda: Ocarina of time stuff. I bought the collector's edition and had all the extras including the T-shirt. All I have now is the game and the strategy guide. I really really regret that. It wasn't until I started collecting video games that I started keeping everything.

I also regret selling my Turbografx 16 when I got married. I got it into my head that I needed to downsize my game collection before I got married. My video game disinterested wife ended up being more supportive of my hobby than I expected. So, it's a shame I got rid of it.

• Like 1

Haha. Oddly enough, I got some games that way. I gave my N64 to my brother in the early 2000s when I was in college. He took it to boarding school with him. He gave it back to me when I got into collecting.

Somehow my collection of games gained Goldeneye, Mariokart, Mario Party and Perfect Dark as well as two extra controllers.

I told him about it and he said he had no idea who they belonged to because so many people came to his room in the dorms, so... they become mine.

I did try to do the right thing. Promise!

Edited by Lendorien
  • Like 2

Damn... must be nice!

...I regret having too much regret.....

That's only in regards to the question of things I've thrown away. If the question was "What do you regret selling?" I would have a very, very different answer. I've never thrown away anything gaming related and of value, but oh man have I ever sold some things that I wish I didn't. :lol:

Edited by Jin

That's only in regards to the question of things I've thrown away. If the question was "What do you regret selling?" I would have a very, very different answer. I've never thrown away anything gaming related and of value, but oh man have I ever sold some things that I wish I didn't. :lol:

Hahaha... I would definitely agree with that.... I've sold some stuff that I am kicking myself for now... but ya, that a different topic all together....

Myself, I kept all game boxes from the Atari and ColecoVision era (And beyond) starting about age 12 and still have them so no problems there, but I threw out an Arcade stick for the Coleco/Atari when it wore out! It had a ball top leaf switch joystick in the middle, and 2 arcade buttons on each side so you could play it either way: Right or Left handed; I always played it with the joystick in my right hand like on old arcade games. But when it wore out I wasn't thinking in terms of replacing or upgrading parts, and this was way before the internet. It was expensive for it's time ($42 I think LOL) and I'm thinking I ordered it from the back of a magazine. I've Never seen another one like it on Ebay or anywhere, though I'd jump at the chance to replace it. I also slipped off a bed and fell on my SNES Advantage Joystick, breaking the joystick off. I figured I could take the joystick from my NES Advantage to fix it but I was wrong and ended up trashing them both...Those 2 I've replaced...And with Edladdin's help I will soon have an arcade stick for Coleco (well and Atari) again!

I don't regret buying both my father and brother an NES top loader each only to reaquire them when I moved into my house in '98. My brother went into the Navy and my Dad out grew playing it very quickly so they gave them to me. It wasn't until a few years ago that I realized how sought after try are. Especially complete in box.

Edited by Oldschool80skid
  • Like 1

I threw away tons of Big Box PC boxes to keep the discs in a disc holder case - I kept a few great ones - but definitely regretted that - Through away the jewel cases as well! What was I thinking?!

Now, I myself never really used PCs to play games...Only to get on ebay to collect for other systems, or to go to AtariAge and buy homebrews, etc. But this I understand because weren't PC games CDs that would fit in a Gameboy sized game box, but instead they always seemed to come in a box the size of a box of cereal? What is that... some BooBerry? Nope, just a PC game...

I was thinking about this the other day, but back in the late 90's I found one of those Compaq "luggable" computers from the 80's in a thrift store. The picture is for those that don't know what they are, it's not the one I had but it was very similar. It came in this suitcase kind of leather bag with the Compaq logo that wrapped around it with pockets for manuals and disks. I used to play "Ancient Art of War" on it. Great machine, heavy as hell. I ended up taking it to a recycling place, along with some other older computer parts, back in the early 2000's when we moved. I really wish I still had it, it was a cool piece of computing history

post-2493-0-02148100-1457176120_thumb.jpg

Around 1999, I put a gigantic collection of classic video game magazines into a recycle bin. One of the dumbest decisions of my life... I'm talking all the early EGM's, gamefans, gamepro's, VG & CE's, etc, etc. Tons of magazines. Like hundreds. Wife wanted me to get rid of unnecessary clutter, and I didn't want to do it, but was like... oh well, I'll probably never want to read those again... Such a stupid decision...

• Like 1

Around 1999, I put a gigantic collection of classic video game magazines into a recycle bin. One of the dumbest decisions of my life... I'm talking all the early EGM's, gamefans, gamepro's, VG & CE's, etc, etc. Tons of magazines. Like hundreds. Wife wanted me to get rid of unnecessary clutter, and I didn't want to do it, but was like... oh well, I'll probably never want to read those again... Such a stupid decision...

Yep! :lol:

…most of this stuff is already, or will be, available via .pdf on your 'puter of choice though. Nothing beats the real thing, but if you're only after the content, take heart! Funny… have all sorts of mags and stuff readily available via .pdf and guess what? NEVER, EVER look at it. Unless it's in paper form.

• Like 1