IGNORED

Lone Raider pack-in Game: UK Only?

gilsaluki

Just found out about Lone Raider. Since it has a Pac-Man like element to it (eat some dots), I would like to play it. I don't ever remember seeing this game in the USA (nor any ads for it). Was this an Atari UK only release (pack in with the XLs), or was this available worldwide? Sure would like to get an USA playable version of this.

Kyle22, you have to "eat" dots and avoid enemies on level two so it has Pac-Man like qualities. This was actually the very first game I ever played on the Atari (It did come as a pack in with my 800XL and 1010).

As far as I know it was only ever released in Europe and was a product of Atari UK.

This is one of my favourite games on the Atari, and I'm not alone in thinking that.

It's worth taking some time to play. It doesn't look that great when you first start playing but as you get better you'll find that the difficulty ramps perfectly. Just enough to make it slightly more difficult than the previous level but not so difficult that you suddenly think it's not worth playing any more. Also it's completable, I've not quite managed it, but I've been close a couple of times!

The Lone raider was released in Europe by Atari UK. Like José writes, in the later days it was available as the normal red size tape. But before that release it was released in a big plastic box (just like the other European cassette titles). The big plastic box has instructions and information on it in 6 languages.

I have it on cassette, the red label version. I don't recall where or when I got it, but I live in the U.S.A.

I got it from somewhere in the U.S., as I have never gotten cassettes off of eBay.uk or anything, but I don't remember more than that.

Except that I think it was in the last 15 years at some point that I got it. I had never heard of it before I got it.

Edited by Gunstar

Great memories of this - part of the 5-pack of red games with my very first 800xl/1010 from Currys. (Lone Raider0, European Countries and Capitals, Eastern Front, Chess and Invitation to Programming I). And it was one of those with music on the tape audio track - some atmospheric space sound effects, a more jaunty tune I don't know, and then suddenly Flight of the Bumblebee...

Enjoyable 3-stage game - just remember on the pac-man like bit: first time, you have to eat all the dots, and then it gives you another screen full. Second time you don't need to eat all the dots, just fall through the hole at the bottom - but if you do eat all the dots second time, it starts all over again with a full third screen of dots... and that repeats until you do actually decide to go down the hole at the bottom. For a while, my bro and I thought you'd die if you fell through the hole in the floor, so we kept doing the dot screen forever...! (We were very young...)

I have this somewhere - the red cassette box version. It came as a cut-price bundle with an 800XL, a spare 1010 and the same other 'games' that wesmond mentions. I had seen an advertisement for it beforehand though; it had supposedly won an award of some kind I think and was perhaps even written totally in-house for Atari UK?

The cover art I recall was different to that page on AtariMania though. It was the usual early-seventies style acid-trip counter-culture Rodney Matthews deal; a burnt dessert landscape with stylized rider on a - possibly cyborg - horse in spiky armour with attenuated golden Vader-like helmet and a spear/lance couched on his or very possibly her toe, all highlighted against a binary-sunset of a sinking hot yellow dwarf set before and within an massive red giant further away. It made an impression.

Mine came from Boots in Portsmouth in November 1985.

I would like to buy the cassette, assuming it would work on my USA machine. Anyone got a spare they are willing to part with? This is one this the USA market got short changed. We never had XL/XE computer packages that included software. I really don't understand Atari's logic. Why, when you have a great game, don't you offer it worldwide. Where did Atari get their marketing people? Cracker Jacks? Odd behavior.

I would like to buy the cassette, assuming it would work on my USA machine. Anyone got a spare they are willing to part with? This is one this the USA market got short changed. We never had XL/XE computer packages that included software. I really don't understand Atari's logic. Why, when you have a great game, don't you offer it worldwide. Where did Atari get their marketing people? Cracker Jacks? Odd behavior.

The cassette version might only work on pal machines like the file on post #2.

This file might work on your USA machine.

Lone Raider, The (1983)(Atari).xex

Good Luck,

Doug

• Like 1