IGNORED

Is anybody making rotary controllers any more?

Trooper Galactus

I'd love to get a rotary controller for my Jaguar, but I lack the technical expertise to make one myself and most of the ones I see online are being hawked for way too much money. If somebody wanted to do some business on the side modding the controllers, I'd be willing to pay decent money for it to be done.

No. It was planned, but never released. Jeff Minter used a modified 2600 rotary controller to test the rotary mode in Tempest 2000.

It uses the left/right D-pad inputs, but not like standard buttons. Thus custom code is needed in the game to support rotary mode.

it requires a 2-bit grey rotary encoder which you can buy from electronics component dealers so there is no need to rip the part out of Atari 2600 rotary controllers.

it requires a 2-bit grey rotary encoder which you can buy from electronics component dealers so there is no need to rip the part out of Atari 2600 rotary controllers.

Nobody is taking apart 2600 controllers :lolblue:

The questions zero answered related to the existence of an official rotary controller and how rotary is supported by software (handling L&R d-pad inputs).

• Like 2

I feel ashamed to admit I have yet to play Tempest with a rotary controller. My Vita Txk is the closest I've gotten lol.

I just purchased a Pro Controller on Ebay 2 nights ago when my eBay alarm on my phone informed me of one just posted. I'm also ashamed to admit that I paid $130 for it, but as a hardcore Jag fanatic in mint condition as it is I didn't expect it to be any cheaper in the near future so I jumped on the buy it now at 4 a.m lol.

I love tempest and certainly need to get a rotary jag controller next. Even though I'm used to the Jag pad, I don't feel like I'm getting the full experience. I remember the arcade version...aaahh the good old days when we had arcades =)

I feel ashamed to admit I have yet to play Tempest with a rotary controller. My Vita Txk is the closest I've gotten lol.

I just purchased a Pro Controller on Ebay 2 nights ago when my eBay alarm on my phone informed me of one just posted. I'm also ashamed to admit that I paid $130 for it, but as a hardcore Jag fanatic in mint condition as it is I didn't expect it to be any cheaper in the near future so I jumped on the buy it now at 4 a.m lol.

I love tempest and certainly need to get a rotary jag controller next. Even though I'm used to the Jag pad, I don't feel like I'm getting the full experience. I remember the arcade version...aaahh the good old days when we had arcades =)

$130 actually is a lot cheaper than I recall seeing them, though I may be remembering a CIB price. Want to get one of them, but have been focused on rounding out my game collection while they're still available.