IGNORED

Xenon II - Megablast! (Bitmap Brothers) - Jaguar Port

CyranoJ

Looks awesome - I will be interested in getting a copy when it becomes available.

I'm not sure 50 boards will be enough to to meet demand...

the first run will be 100

remember as of yesterday there was nothing put together.

another 50 boards will be prepared maybe tonight, certainly by the end of the week.

then the large task of programming eproms 'AGAIN' will commence

• Like 7

I know you're pretty new to that Jaguar carts stuff, but that's not how it should be done.

You're supposed to tell people only 50 copies will be made, wait a bit until the second-hand prices soar, then slowly sell more copies on eBay using a shill account -- while chastising people for driving the prices up.

• Like 10

Jaguar homebrew cart: $60-$90ish

Playing amazing new release game ported to 23 year-old Atari system named after predaceous jungle cat: Priceless.

I have a different take on it but I don't know the actual cost of making this things in small batches.

I would love to buy a cart only version (no box, manual, extras etc...: just the game in the Jag shell with a decal) to save $$$ .... I played Xenon 2 to death on all other platforms excluding the actual Atari ST so paying more than I would pay for a new "big budget" game it's something I have trouble with no matter how you slice it.

Again I don't know the cost of producing this things in small batches, but for example the cost of 7800 homebrew from the AA store at around 30US$ seems fair to me, I would wish a little cheaper hence the suggestion cart only as I care about the game only, all the remaining collectibles are pretty moot on me, actually it annoys me to no end when there's so much emphasis on the box, the glossy manual etc... when all I want is to play the game ... but that is just me.

Here is a list of prices of previous limited run releases (as far as I know they are limited anyways...), some may or may not be homebrew. If I had to make a guess probably between $70 - $90 for Xenon II. But I have no direct affiliation with this project, so don't take my word for it, I am just looking at the trends.

Recent Releases

Alice's Mom's Rescue ~$70

Another World ~$70

Downfall+ ~$65

Older Releases

Mad Bodies ~$80

Blackout! ~$80

Most of Songbird Productions Releases ~$85

Here is a list of prices of previous limited run releases (as far as I know they are limited anyways...), some may or may not be homebrew. If I had to make a guess probably between $70 - $90 for Xenon II. But I have no direct affiliation with this project, so don't take my word for it, I am just looking at the trends.

Recent Releases

Alice's Mom's Rescue ~$70

Another World ~$70

Downfall+ ~$65

Older Releases

Mad Bodies ~$80

Blackout! ~$80

Most of Songbird Productions Releases ~$85

At this price I'm probably out .... I really don't care what it could fetch if I were to hold onto it and sell it on eBay once it's rare (that is day 1 afternoon)!

I repeat once more I am not sure how much it costs to produce any of them, but I can speculate the cart at 8US$ (last MK price) + PCB at 5US$ + EPROMs at 5US$ + Decal at 2US$ = 20US$ just in material.

[to be fair decals can be had for penny in bigger batches, the same it is true for EPROMs/FLASH, PCBs, not sure about cart shells].

My point being I am not ready to pay 90US$ for homebrew games, I cannot justify it to myself considering I feel bad when I pay 30US$ for contemporary games, I want them cheaper.

So I'll wait to know what the price is going to be, and I would suggest to charge whatever the market takes, be it 30US$ or 90US$ or 250US$ or more .... I'll buy if and only if I think the price is right anyway.

At this price I'm probably out .... I really don't care what it could fetch if I were to hold onto it and sell it on eBay once it's rare (that is day 1 afternoon)!

I repeat once more I am not sure how much it costs to produce any of them, but I can speculate the cart at 8US$ (last MK price) + PCB at 5US$ + EPROMs at 5US$ + Decal at 2US$ = 20US$ just in material.

[to be fair decals can be had for penny in bigger batches, the same it is true for EPROMs/FLASH, PCBs, not sure about cart shells].

My point being I am not ready to pay 90US$ for homebrew games, I cannot justify it to myself considering I feel bad when I pay 30US$ for contemporary games, I want them cheaper.

So I'll wait to know what the price is going to be, and I would suggest to charge whatever the market takes, be it 30US$ or 90US$ or 250US$ or more .... I'll buy if and only if I think the price is right anyway.

the components in their raw form are useless, purchasing a descent programmer that doesn't take 1 hour to program 1 chip costs mega $$$

not to mention sanity lost soldering 100 solder joints per board * 100 boards

regardless of this I don't care either way I am not handling the sale, only board production, I don't even have access to the box / labels, so pay or don't. im sure there will be someone else to take your place and purchase one.

Edited by omf
  • Like 3

the components in their raw form are useless, purchasing a descent programmer that doesn't take 1 hour to program 1 chip costs mega $$$

not to mention sanity lost soldering 100 solder joints per board * 100 boards,

regardless of this I don't care either way I am not handling the sale, only board production, I don't even have access to the box / labels, so pay or don't. im sure there will be someone else to take your place and purchase one.

I'm sure too hence my suggestion to raise the price to whatever the market can take, but I still don't get the defensive stance.

I wasn't complaining or anything, if you want to sell it for 1M$ go ahead it's your project not mine.

I was asking about estimated price, and it seems people are throwing around numbers so I commented on those making a speculative analysis on material costs, that's it.

The fact that "official" figures are not yet public is the only part that leaves me wanting to know.

not to mention sanity lost soldering 100 solder joints per board * 100 boards,

Word, people never think about this sort of thing. My latest programmer cost over $600 and the soldering, even with through hole parts, takes a lot of time.

• Like 2

Word, people never think about this sort of thing. My latest programmer cost over $600 and the soldering, even with through hole parts, takes a lot of time.

I'm well aware of all that. Again I wasn't complaining per se, in the end I decide what to buy and what not so there's no foul playing here.

I was asking and commenting, no offense meant.

Getting close I see! I understand their are no preorder lists, I just hope everyone who expressed interest here on AA are able to get one! I don't have the free time lately to check AA as much as I was and I would hate to miss out by letting a day or two pass without checking in!

• Like 1