IGNORED

Discussion about what to call a TI-99/4A with F18A

Asmusr

Yes, like most developments my scrolling techniques are building on other peoples' work.

Okay.

I ran through some earlier stuff of mine, and found a few other, almost full-screen (could have been), smooth scrolling and also turning in any direction using different techniques or should we call many of them "character to character" scrolling, whereas Parsec stands out as "bitmap scrolling" (source picture (see GROM below) is shifted into destination (VDP)). I used that technique in another demo. With any technique I would say that we cut "corners" to achieve the desired effect(s) (as in we're not updating 768 character patterns).

parsec.grom.chars.png

Other 9918A smooth pixel scrolling examples are,

1984, River Raid for MSX by Activision

1984, Flicky for Sega SG-1000 by Sega

1985, Drol for Sega SG-1000 by Sega

;)

And just to keep the record straight. I think it is impressive work you've done. :)

• Like 1

I've remained silent on this topic long enough...

There is only one name for an F18A enhanced 4A...

« The TI-99/4A Hornet »

This isn't rocket science folks (it's jet propulsion science)

After all Atari had their Falcon!

• Like 2

Was thinking it should still be called a TI, but knowing it has a special video chip inside. Guess I'm just boring that way. :lol:

After all, what do you call a PC with a fancy graphics card? I still call it shit, but most will still call it a PC or better yet… the "hard drive". :rolling:

Not a fan of modern platforms today. The non-personal "computer" is merely an appliance to me now.

Yes, like most developments my scrolling techniques are building on other peoples' work. But even though I still have a few ideas left in my head, it's essential in order for this development to continue that someone else 'takes up the glove' and shows that the techniques can be improved further. If not, turning to the F18A is one way of keeping up momentum and interest, and I'm really surprised that no more the a handful developers have gone down this route considering that there is so much unexplored territory and we even have the tools (e.g Magellan). Talking about F18A as a threat to the survival of the old TI is way out of proportions IMHO considering that we don't have a single finished game yet that is running on an F18A enhanced console only. I think the general shortage of new assembly (or other high-speed language) projects is a much bigger threat.

Keep doing all the good work, I really like it (and do not get distracted)! I like that in some you games you switch automatically back to the normal mode

(like in TI-Scramble, backwards compatible) and to F18A mode (with better graphics).

F18A or not.

It is my view a bit the same as having a 32K expansion or not (as some cartridges/modules also do not work without 32K, so always an expansion was needed and that was expensive)

(TI's with 32K built-in are not treated differently, while they are actually, because when I had it built-in, I could load assembly programs and games via the cassette interface

(Thanks to Tonny Brouwer/Ton Damen), that opened a whole new world that timefor me, similar as the F18A is opening up a new world.