IGNORED

Is it a TI-99/4A?

Omega-TI

You decide...  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Is a TI-99/4A still a TI-99/4A when an F-18A is installed.

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not touching this question with a 20 foot poll.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I saw recently that polls can be non-anonymous here. I actually don't like to take part in non-anonymous polls; this is just a general attitude. If I want to comment on something personally, I can still post a message.

yes, absoluteley the same for me.

If I have anything to tell, I can write it down in a post.

On public polls I need 20 times of thinking about voting or not.

(what does not mean that I am not nosy looking what other voted for :D )

It is also harder to change my mind later , in contrast to my vote :)

Attaching an MBX: yes of course, it stays a TI-99/4A (as MBX is vintage, an attachment only, and some more reasons)

F18A-MOD: Yes, TI-99/4A

TMS9995 or other CPU-Card: NO, IF this is running in the PEB only, without a TI-99/4A

From my point of view, it mostly depends on the consoles housing,

OR the existance of the TMS9900 (with TI-Basic+Cartridge-Slot) in any other housing :)

A bit like my Toyota-Example here at the beginning of the thread, the bodywork is that what I see,

so this must be present in any way, look or feel :)

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, of course. My old Toyo LandCruiser, pimped up with an AMG V12 bigblock 680 hp (and nothing else),

is still my old LandCruiser :) which brought me through so many offroad-trails and holidays in the 80ties

But I could do what I want, pimp it with Lights & Flashes (what I never would do), but it would stay my old beloved car...

But I think, this is more a question of personal flavour, how to think about this things.

So this is impossible (for me) to "discuss" that, with the gain to have a solution what is right or wrong to that :)

xXx

gallery_41141_1470_15191.jpg

(OK, this is not exactly my one)

And the 2nd, pimped one, with F36B (2xF18A), 2 PEBs, QD-Controller, 12 MB "RAM"

attachicon.gif429719_361187723912130_196997170_n.jpg

I love them both :lust:

TI 99, Landcruisers, and BMWs - I wonder what else we have in common Schmitzi? :)

As for this poll, I guess I would say the answer is in the eye of the beholder, or blowing in the wind, or something.

• Like 2

Here are my thoughts about this.

Yes, it is still a 4A. You simply updated the video chip. It is no longer an all original (stock) 4a, but one with an upgrade. I feel it is the same as an Amiga 2/3/4000 computer. If you add a better video card than the stock one, is it still an Amiga? Yes. Is it stock? No. Overall, it is the same hardware, thus it is the same computer. My opinion anyways. :-)

The more arguments and examples are brought here, the more I tend to disagree.

For me, there is some obvious kind of 'discontinuity' between the stock TI console, and the F18A enhancement. I'm referring to the programmable features that are introduced by the FPGA, not just to the VGA output.

We see that effects and hence game visuals become feasible that are far out of reach for the normal TI. It is not a question of color depth, neither of resolution. For this reason, all comparisons with graphic enhancements on an Amiga or a PC just don't apply - in my view, that is, of course.

Luckily we don't need to agree, do we? :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Luckily we don't need to agree, do we? :)

Agreed! In the end I think that is a good thing, or this place would get boring real fast.

We have multiple reasons people like the F18A.

1) Their TI's video was broken, and this fixed it rather easily.

2) It works with cheap and easy to obtain monitors, or monitors people already have.

3) The video quality is PERFECT.

4) There was and is potential for future growth and some really cool new games (some of which are arriving now).

5) Other ____________________.

There can be as many reasons for getting back into the TI as there are configurations in P-box. For some guys the draw is nostalgia, for others it's gaming, some like programming and others like hardware. Some guys like stock, others want to grow and see where the road takes them. Whatever road you are on, the journey is what you make it, which is the point of a hobby.

I know of a couple of people who got back into the TI simply BECAUSE it had VGA available. In my book anything that brings more people "BACK HOME" to the TI is good. Now I admit, I'm biased as heck, but hey, if you prefer 'classic quality output', that's cool too. ;-)

if you prefer 'classic quality output', that's cool too. ;-)

I'd actually wanted to avoid to carry on this discussion too far because, as we saw, there are at least two opposing points of view which have their point.

But with this summary from you, I feel like needing to clarify - for the history books: It's not the VGA output that I was referring to when saying this is a new platform - it is the possibility to have lots of GPU-based features including enhanced graphic modes, scrolling, and so on. You can write games that look much more as if they ran on an Amiga than on the original TI.

I'd actually wanted to avoid to carry on this discussion too far because, as we saw, there are at least two opposing points of view which have their point.

But with this summary from you, I feel like needing to clarify - for the history books: It's not the VGA output that I was referring to when saying this is a new platform - it is the possibility to have lots of GPU-based features including enhanced graphic modes, scrolling, and so on. You can write games that look much more as if they ran on an Amiga than on the original TI.

Gotcha. I agree with you on that point. While people can choose to take it or leave it, it does have some interesting potential that's starting to bring the 'newness factor' back in to the TI realm after so many decades. I find it kind of exciting to see things like Rasmus' new Mario Bros port.

I'll respect your wish and not carry on this thread any further.

• 8 months later...

I find it kind of exciting to see things like Rasmus' new Mario Bros port.

I loved all the work make by Rasmus around the TI-99/4A and the TMS-9918A. His programs are all fantastic and, again, I congratulate it.

But his work made using the F18A FPGA had no effect on me (Mario Bross or Pole Position). Sure, their graphics and animations are good, but I do not recognize the 99/4A computer.

I think (my opinion, for what it's worth, like my tail end) is that if something like the F18A had come out in the 80' and or 90's (my era, when I got my first TI99'4A from a good will and promptly blew it up trying to insert a cartridge from another system), it would have been devoured by everyone that heard about it, if the price was affordable.

Just like the Mechatronic card and the TIM and so forth. Purists see something one way, others another, but in the end we get what we want to afford. When I got my first Geneve and since, I still see the TI99/4A, but as a bigger younger brother. I had to place the TI world on hold and here it is 17 years later, I want to see my TI99/4a brought to its maximum potential, able to utilize modern items,and do things that I wanted it to do then.

Would you have refused to upgrade your TI in the 80's if there had been an affordable video upgrade to EGA or such then? Only you know the answer to that question, but I was constantly looking for the new thing to make my babies better, that's why I bought the TIM or HFDC and so forth. I love the excitement here in the terms of seeing expansion beyond what I had hoped, but my TI and Geneve will still be my TI and Geneve, after I have supercharged them with beautiful accessories. Just my opinion for what's worth.

• Like 1

Except that the F18A or a EGA compatible card were never released at the time of the TI-99/4A. So, this kind of upgrade can produce no nostalgic souvenirs, no pleasure rediscovered.
What is surprising in the 21th centuary technologies? Nothing. We can imagine even more powerfull for the 99/4A because all is possible with FPGA or equivalent, we can get all electonic components we want, there's no barrier. It just a technical sport, a fun electronic and software project , a impressive demonstration of a developper capability.
When I see a F18A demo, I don't see a TI-99/4A, I see something else.

We should ask ourselves: Why we still use this very old computer, completely obsolete, very few useful and really good for the breakage. It's just because it brings us approximately 35 years back for the good time we spent with him. What are doing here moderns electronic components equiping our current computers and smartphones ?

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 1