IGNORED

Saurussoft

mantadoc

I'm not sure - either I never played far enough, or during that period when I used to play it, I suspected hardware issues with my TI when the program crashed. Or I have a cracked version.

Overwriting a sector on the disk ... tsss tsss ... Saurussoft, you are lucky that you did that long ago when justice was even less aware of things happening in the computer area. If this had led to loss of data or programs on the disk and if you did not explicitely warn not to copy the disk for that reason, you would have faced charges for intentional damage (German: vorsätzliche Sachbeschädigung).

yeah, but this behave was needed, to found the laws of today :)

I remember there were some programs out for the PC, which came with a special treated (destroyed?) sector on the floppydisk,

and we had to use software like "CopyWrit" or "CopyIIPC" to duplicate that.

One (PC-)software - to protect floppies - came from the Netherlands IIRC, but cannot remember the name, maybe "CopyLock" ?,

where we had to call the vendor to generate a "token" on telephone,

which enabled us to generate another (protected) floppy from your own software (to sell it, as protected)

This also worked with a partitially destroyed sector.....

Also IBM used something like hat on his software, i.e. on "IBM Hausverwaltung" (House-Management/Calc),

where you had to insert Disk #1 when you started the program.

(But this was easiliy "solved" by "CopyWrit" or one of the 8-bit-ISA-CopyBoards we had some time later :)

--

Maybe here at Saurussoft, this was just an early try for protection-things like that ? A try that did not work in the end ?

Maybe it only worked on the PEB-System (controller/drive-comination) SaurusSoft used to develop that ?

Is it possible that SaurusSoft, back in the days, delivered the software on fabric-write-protected FloppyDisks (without that hole),

(where this "destroy" had no effect), and they just assumed that a pirate-copy runs from an unprotected disk,

so just lets destroy it ? :D

hmmm, so this is very strange.... selfdestroyed by Arnd Russmann......

But if you see this great scrolling graphics, this disk-killing-handling cannot be done in error.

There must have been deep thoughts on that....

I think I will make extra hints ("CopyProtected" or so) in my XLS for such programs,

to prevent from future deletion..... I also rename my DSK-file(s) in that way, adding a small hint.

@schmitzi: They may of course try to implement a copy protection - the problem is that it relied on being able to overwrite some sector, and in the case that you copied the program to another disk with other programs, this attempt may have resulted in data loss or program corruption - and this is the legal problem.

if it can help to know, i always copied protected Olivetti Prodest PC1's floppy disks (PC DOS Computer) using Amiga Computers and the magnific XCopy.

They had same style of protection described for Freddi's floppy. for the PC1 games worked. i tried others programs on PC ( "CopyWrit" or "CopyIIPC", "CopyQM" and others) but not worked as good as XCopy.

a Friend of mine have an Amiga 2000 with a 5.25" floppy drive installed, i could try to use it for TI99 floppy.

if they work Ksarul could try to copy the diskette using this method.

ufe-xcopy-multiple-drives.jpg

The disassembled and partially commented loader code has been copied to the Freddy disk image.

The main program FRED1 and FRED2 both contain a branch to 0xE000. The routine is installed within the loader and contains the destructive code....

I am not taking this any further. I share only to satisfy others' curiosity.

freddy.dsk

• Like 4

The disassembled and partially commented loader code has been copied to the Freddy disk image.

The main program FRED1 and FRED2 both contain a branch to 0xE000. The routine is installed within the loader and contains the destructive code....

I am not taking this any further. I share only to satisfy others' curiosity.

Thanks for "Freddy unchained" :)

• 1 month later...

hmmm, is this the same as you have ?

Only the SC#1 is a big file, the following are very small....

Isn´t there any possibility to get it all into the/one cartridge (that you go this way. putting files onto the IDE ?)

post-41141-0-74341800-1457535085_thumb.jpg