IGNORED

DJ Hero controllers as spinners?

Jess Ragan

Is it feasible to use a DJ Hero controller as a spinner for use with MAME and other emulators? Because they're pretty cheap at thrift stores, and other spinner solutions for computers... aren't. I know someone was able to connect a DJ Hero controller to his computer using an Arduino, but I was thinking of a software-based solution, something that would take less effort.

Give this a shot because that sounds brilliant! If it works.

I was poking around the 'net, and it seems that xpadder supports the DJ Hero controllers out of the box. I'm not sure exactly how the values would be mapped though, From what little I've read it appears that it might by dumb luck actually be perfect right away that way, as people are reporting confusion with how it's mapped but saying that it appears to both read a direction and a speed... wish I knew more about spinners or had one of the controllers to experiment now.

See, if it was recognized as a mouse, I could use it right away in MAME. Someone did manage to get it to interface with a computer, but had to build an adapter for it using a micro controller. That's the part I'd like to skip, if at all possible.

I've been DYING to use a spinner on my PC. I built one a long time ago, but it didn't work with modern computers, and I nearly sliced off a thumb trying to make a replacement. I just want to do this cheaply, and with as little injury as possible. Nobody really has a solution that isn't DIY or prohibitively expensive. Damn, didn't paddles used to be like $20 or less?

• Like 1

I just picked up a DJ Hero controller from Goodwill for $2.50. Yay! But then I read about it online and found out it needed a separate wireless adapter, which I didn't have. Boo!

Do you need an Xbox 360 wireless adapter? You can buy knock-off ones from China on eBay for pretty cheap and they work just fine. I have one that I use regularly to connect my 360 wireless controller.