IGNORED

Super TI-99 Mario Bros (F18A required)

Asmusr

The foreground clouds look unnatural moving the way they do at the same speed as the foreground level graphics. I imagine with them turned

off it would look a bit more real, or at least moving a bit slower.

I find them a bit distracting. As the character moves, the clouds move or stop when the character stops or goes backwards.

I find them a bit distracting. As the character moves, the clouds move or stop when the character stops or goes backwards.

Well, that's how the original game works. My plan is to add an option to disable the new background, but the foreground will stay as it is. :)

• Like 3

Speaking as a person who has played the original and Mario World more than would be considered healthy-I think it looks good, the only thing I am not too sure about is the mixing of SNES back grounds with NES foregrounds and sprites, it looks a little "off" style wise.

Makes no difference though if it is to be a switchable option.

Still a great showcase of the F18 in action regardless.

Are you using the F18A sprite linking features? The idea was to make doing larger sprites easier. Are you planning to avoid the GPU? If not, it might be a good candidate to do the collision detection calculations.

I do use the GPU now, to split tile layer 2 between a scrolling and a non-scrolling region (using the HSYNC trigger). This leaves tile layer 1 for the background, which is just show-off (of the F18A's capabilities, that is :)) and has no real influence on the game play (except it makes a few things more difficult to see). I have left the background off by default but it can be toggled using the B key.

• Like 2

The latest version includes many more sound effects, a better ending, and additional points when you stomp multiple enemies. World 1-1 should now be close to complete except for the small bonus room, which is my next project. I'm almost at 8K of assembly program (excluding graphics), and a have about 3K of the 32K left in total. I do wonder how they managed on a NES system with only 2K onboard RAM?

I noticed that sometimes fire Mario cannot hit any enemies with his fire balls. Please let me know if you can reproduce this issue.

Updates source code in post #1.

MARIO.dsk

• Like 5

The low memory was one reason for never being able to go backwards -- it only had to track the things currently on the screen. :)

I'm saving the changes to the metatiles in the map (in RAM), but I guess it could be avoided by reading from VDP memory for collision checking instead. But this breaks with a principle I always try to follow: the screen display is only a rendering of the model, the game should in theory run without it. So I never read from VDP RAM if I can avoid it - the only exception is the hardware sprite collision flag which you sometimes have to use for performance reasons.

Nothing wrong with that! The NES doesn't have tons of VDP RAM either.. I just meant they don't track any map changes once they leave the left edge of the screen. :)

According to this page the map was not even stored as a map but as a list of rectangles (x, y, w, h) of metatiles:

http://jul.rustedlogic.net/thread.php?id=15239

Edit: After giving this more thought, storage as rectangles seems like a very awkward data structure for unpacking a column of map data. A vertical RLE would be much more appropriate.