POKEY vs. SID

BillyHW

POKEY vs. SID  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which sound do you like better?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

I miss my SK-5.

You’d be surprised - they are in demand.  I was lucky scoring the SK-1 a few years back for less than $100, I see them now around $200-300.

I also own a Korg Triton EX, and I grab the SK-1 eight out of ten times, it’s that much fun and easy to use.  The lo-fi nature makes it that much more interesting to me.

17 minutes ago, The Usotsuki said:

Jam and Lewis used the Mirage, I think, on Janet Jackson's "Control" and "Rhythm Nation 1814".

The same sound chip in the Mirage was also in the Apple IIgs.

I’m a big fan of the Mirage and Ensoniq in general (I own an SQ-80, which is a criminally underrated synthesizer).

There is no denying Yannes knew his stuff.  Jay Miner and team are idols of mine, but it would have been cool if Yannes was on that team!

Edited by rdefabri

1 hour ago, rdefabri said:

You’d be surprised - they are in demand.

I have been watching for a year or so.  I had one when I was a wee sprout but it met with and could not survive the roughness of my youth.  I recently wanted to get a replacement to assist with projects, but they do not last long when they pop up and they go for higher prices than I can squeeze past the budget troll.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

I have been watching for a year or so.  I had one when I was a wee sprout but it met with and could not survive the roughness of my youth.  I recently wanted to get a replacement to assist with projects, but they do not last long when they pop up and they go for higher prices than I can squeeze past the budget troll.

Ah yes, the budget trolls exist far and wide, I feel your pain! I've been pining for an old Simmons drum set like I had in my youth, but alas I can't summon the magic to get it past the boss :)

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 10:22 AM, rdefabri said:

So can anyone say that a Fairlight is “better” than a Casio-SK-1?  In terms of specs, yup.  In terms of creating amazing music - no way.

Wait, what?  The Fairlights have been used by many legendary artists on classic songs.. Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Trevor Horn, Stevie Wonder, Herbie Hancock, Alan Parsons, etc etc.

That Casio song you posts is well-composed,  however still the Casio parts sound like low-frequency chiptune audio, and nothing can be done to change that.   Fairlights were far more flexible.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zzip said:

Wait, what?  The Fairlights have been used by many legendary artists on classic songs.. Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Trevor Horn, Stevie Wonder, Herbie Hancock, Alan Parsons, etc etc.

That Casio song you posts is well-composed,  however still the Casio parts sound like low-frequency chiptune audio, and nothing can be done to change that.   Fairlights were far more flexible.

That's not what I said.  I said "better", which is subjective.  On the point of lo-fi audio, many artists look for that and have used the SK-1 in songs, including Nine Inch Nails, Fatboy Slim, Nine Inch Nails, Incubus, and Blur.  Many rap artists have as well - but still not my point.

If you are talking about flexibility, of course the Fairlight blows the Casio away.  If you are talking sampling rate, the Fairlight is "better".  But the Casio is "better" if you are talking price.  The Casio is "better" if you are talking portabilty.  The Casio is "better" if you are talking ease of use.

So to my original point - the argument of which chip is "better" can't be answered.  I realize the poll is which chip you "like better", but these discussions generally degrade into a debate about specs or whatever.  That can be fun, but it's not a discussion with much of a conclusion.

My 2 cents.