IGNORED

SCSI2SD Adapter Works!

Shift838

We seem to have surprisingly many owners of SCSI cards. Leave one SCSI2SD for me please.

There weren't many left when I purchased mine.

I wish someone had the ability to make a batch of SCSI cards. They are a nice balance between stability and available technology.

As much as I like the IDE cards, their stability is not the best; the HFDCs are great but MFM drives, well, not so much...

• Like 1

There weren't many left when I purchased mine.

I wish someone had the ability to make a batch of SCSI cards. They are a nice balance between stability and available technology.

As much as I like the IDE cards, their stability is not the best; the HFDCs are great but MFM drives, well, not so much...

yea, I would be in for a SCSI card or two if that ever came down!

Let me know what you discover when you try it on the Geneve. I received mine, and it works well, but on the Geneve I need to configure each partition to 120mb max or else I get weird sector issues in MDOS. For example when I configured it to 248mb, then formatted with MYS, MDOS said I had 99,319,728 sectors free (about 100x what it should be!). Then when I configured it for 130mb it said I only had 8120 sectors free (wayyy to little!). Insane suggested I configure it to 120mb and voila, it came out to 491,448 sectors... or 119.98 mb, so perfect.

Edited by Mad Hatter
  • Like 1

Pretty sure it is a math display error in the os catalog routine.

That said, when you exceed 123mb or thereabouts, the sector allocation in the bitmap doubles to its maximum of 16 sectors per allocation unit. This means a file of 1 sector will require 16 sectors for its fdr (file descriptor record) and increments of 16 sectors for the data itself. That means 32 sectors are consumed. There is a point of diminishing returns depending on how many files you load, if I recall long-ago calculations correctly.

Regardless the os error shouldn't cause problems other than excitability. :)

• Like 1

Excitability aside, maybe I will reconfigure my 3 unused partitions back to 248mb. Although the way it's set now, 4x120 is almost a half gig of TI/Gen storage which is more than sufficient.

I will look into the calcs when I get my scsi2sd up and running. Remember only three SCSI drives can be visible at one time. Use scsmap to reassign SCSI IDs.

Hey Chris I just checked with my board, and you're right, it does seem to be able to power itself without either the USB or 4-pin Molex power supplies connected. I know there's +5v on one of the SCSI pins, guess that is sufficient.

That would be TERMPWR. It is to provide power to terminator resistors at the end of the chain. Not all SCSI boards provide this, so you will see on some drives a jumper to do so. Though I have yet to come across a controller which does not. Sometimes you will see some kind of device attached to the end of a SCSI ribbon cable -- that is a terminator. By spec TERMPWR should support up to a 1A load.

• Like 1

i got all my files copied from my EZ135 and WD hard drives to my SCS2SD.

Now I am completely SSD on the TI for hard drives!

I can put my EZ135 and WD up in the closet. More desk space!

And I just got my SCSI card to work with my EZ135's and scsi drive, now I'm going to have to plan on changing out.... the speed of technology these days... amazing :)

• Like 1