IGNORED

SCSI2SD Adapter Works!

Shift838

In the meantime, I got my SCSI2SD as well. I take a 2 GiB microSD card (which will be only filled with 248 MiB, so the rest may serve for its internal wear leveling) and tested in on the Geneve with SCUZZY in GPL mode. I found that SCUZZY only works with ROMPAGE, by the way; otherwise it locks up.

This is my way of mounting that card. The cardboard box is the one it was shipped in. Maybe I'll have to look for a shorter SCSI cable, but this one was the only one I could get hold of. The package had a price tag with DM and Euro (which means that it was stuck on it about 15 years ago - or the seller is already betting on the downfall of the Euro, but I think the first option is true).

Now that's one state of the art enclosure. LOVE IT!

I thought of three things with this "case":

- electrically isolating

- suitable size so that you can easily move it in and out, and the adapter does not fall out by itself (despite the heavy SCSI cable)

- I can reach it easily in order to swap the SD card between the Geneve and the PC without opening the PEB (and having to remove all stuff standing on top)

Things like that happen when you walk up and down your room, looking around, desperately trying to find out how to put that device safely in the PEB.

So if I'm going to make more frequent use of swapping the card, I'll probably add a shortcut in TIImageTool (like "Export current image for SCSI" which automatically creates a copy, sets it to SCSI type, and exports it) - should not be too difficult.

• 1 month later...

I am fixing to order one of these devices for my system equipped with SCSI.

I have a question about backing the SD card up.

I presently have a Syquest EZFLYER and a ZIP 250 on my system. I use Fred Kaals wonderful Ti99Dir to back them up. Is this possible with the SCSI2SD device?

I am fixing to order one of these devices for my system equipped with SCSI.

I have a question about backing the SD card up.

I presently have a Syquest EZFLYER and a ZIP 250 on my system. I use Fred Kaals wonderful Ti99Dir to back them up. Is this possible with the SCSI2SD device?

I dont' know if Fred's utility will backup the device, but with it being an SD card it's easy to plug it into a PC, Unix, Mac.. I use HDD Raw Copy for the PC to backup my SD card. I have tested it multiple times to restore it to a different SD card and it restores accurately.

• 1 year later...

How many folks are still using a SCS2SD device /and/ with what system configuration?

I have two SCS2SD v5 cards. I updated the firmware to 4.7.1. It seems that if the SCSI2SD cards is set to a startup delay of 0, it works ok with a Geneve. The SCSI2SD LED blinks after a few seconds and then a second or two later, the Geneve cycles through the powerup sequence.

The TI powers up more quickly and just seems to hang until I press the RESET button that I have tied into the TI. After this reset, the system is fine until I turn it off.

The cards behaved this way with earlier firmware revisions. Maybe I have a setting wrong in SCSI2SD? So far the fix is eluding me..

Thank you. For whatever reason I assumed you were using it with a TI (are you?) which got me thinking about the cause.

When used with a TI, the SCSI card DSR will clear any pending interrupts the card or SCSI devices are generating. Most peripherals do not make use of the interrupt within the DSR, save the RS232, AVPC, and maybe a few others. On a whim I wrote a small program for the Geneve that detects the interrupt status of the SCSI card. I then changed the SCSI2SD startup delay to 30 seconds, so that I had enough time to boot the Geneve and execute my test program.

After the SCSI2SD startup delay, the device does its thing, and then fires off something that causes an interrupt condition on the SCSI card. The MDOS interrupt handler knows nothing about the SCSI interrupt. Thus the SCSI card essentially takes the system hostage by forcing it to scan for the pending interrupt over and over, with no hope of ever clearing it. I'll have to look at the SCSI2SD setup program again for any possible option changes.

As for the TI, that problem seems to have cleared up after I properly set the DIP switches :dunce:

Thank you. For whatever reason I assumed you were using it with a TI (are you?) which got me thinking about the cause.

Yes, sorry. Normally I assume we are all talking TI, but you specifically mentioned the Geneve and, well, you are like Mr. Geneve or something ;)

For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the fella who makes these. I feel even worse because I worked with him at VCF-SE last year doing benchmarks with the SCSI2SD v5 on my Amiga 1200 with Blizzard 1230 SCSI versus IDE and a 8GB DoM. I think we even tried the v6, but whether we did or not I walked out with a nice new v6 :) (Honestly, that whole weekend was a lot more involved than I thought it would be and I will set aside more time for this years.)

ANYWAY, if you cannot get the interrupt worked out you could contact him and let him know what you have found. I recall he had interest in being very compatible. I have considered taking my PEB to VCF-SE this year to show off the SCSI2SD in it, maybe even my CMD-40 with the same.

The simple routine to clear the pending interrupt doesn't seem to release the hold, so now I have to poke around some more. Maybe I can reach out to the guy to find out what the controller should be doing when the SCSI2SD initializes itself. Ah well, this wasn't how I expected to use my programming time this weekend! ;)

Edit: DSR 101... I wasn't turning the card on before trying to access the memory mapped ports in the DSR space. Duh. I can now successfully clear the interrupt in a stand-alone program. More research tomorrow.

Edited by InsaneMultitasker

The simple routine to clear the pending interrupt doesn't seem to release the hold, so now I have to poke around some more. Maybe I can reach out to the guy to find out what the controller should be doing when the SCSI2SD initializes itself. Ah well, this wasn't how I expected to use my programming time this weekend! ;)

Indeed, but is it not the unexpected puzzles which drive us?

Me, I also have a SCSI2SD at an ASCSI card for my Geneve.

Which version of MDOS (Geneve OS) are you using with this hardware combination?

Today I tracked down the MDOS 7.0 source code and while I am not convinced it is the latest iteration, it does look promising. I even assembled the OS code tonight using a real Geneve. ;) My Syquest EZ135s work with 6.50 and 6.70rc2. The SCSI2SD only works with 6.50. I'm hopeful that one of my optimizations is to blame; next weekend I will look for the root cause.

• Like 3

Which version of MDOS (Geneve OS) are you using with this hardware combination?

Today I tracked down the MDOS 7.0 source code and while I am not convinced it is the latest iteration, it does look promising. I even assembled the OS code tonight using a real Geneve. ;) My Syquest EZ135s work with 6.50 and 6.70rc2. The SCSI2SD only works with 6.50. I'm hopeful that one of my optimizations is to blame; next weekend I will look for the root cause.

I remember such a discussion some time ago, and I am pretty sure it is 6.50. I'm currently away from my Geneve, so I cannot prove it right now.

Some days I just have to wonder...

My primary system uses SCSI IDs 0 and 1 for my two Syquests. Long ago while testing the IDE interface code, I had forced any request for SCSI unit #2 to branch into some IDE routines. At the time this allowed me to test the functionality of the IDE card/drive under MDOS without going through the pain of adding "IDE1" to the OS (I always figured that would come later).

Fast-forward a few years. I configured my SCSI2SD as.... SCSI unit #2. It was the next unit number available. I had forgotten that my IDE test code was still redirecting requests. And since there was no IDE card in the system, the routine was programmed to return "NOTREADYET" to the DSR.

As of this evening MDOS 6.70RC2 seems to be functioning properly with both my Syquest and EZ135 drives. All SCSI IO reads are still twice as fast as the same operations in MDOS 6.50. I haven't decided if I will re-release 6.70RC2 or if I will continue the code cleanup while a few things are fresh in my mind.

• Like 5

Does this mean that the version that was released (I believe on Yahoo) MDOS 6.70RC2, is the same one that had the SCSI issue? That may have explained some problems that I had trying to use my SCSI card with my Genny some months ago, if that's true. When do you think the new version might be ready? I appreciate your time and talents in all the TI world, but especially in the Geneve and SCSI realms. Thanks.

Does this mean that the version that was released (I believe on Yahoo) MDOS 6.70RC2, is the same one that had the SCSI issue? That may have explained some problems that I had trying to use my SCSI card with my Genny some months ago, if that's true. When do you think the new version might be ready? I appreciate your time and talents in all the TI world, but especially in the Geneve and SCSI realms. Thanks.

Yes, one and the same. The issue would only have occurred if your SCSI device was configured for ID#2 or the interrupt (from the SCSI2SD) happened after the card's initialization. Oh, I also noticed the PDMA selection didn't work properly. the status was OFF at startup, which could be another reason for your troubles. For any updated card, PDMA must be ON. I have a few things to work through to compare various versions of 6.70 and 7.0 before I'm comfortable with the next release. And as luck has it, I might have the time to do the work this weekend. We'll see.....

• Like 1

Will version 7.0 be compatible with HFDC only units as well? Just want to know if this is only a SCSI updated version, or if anyone who has the memory can use it.

Beery

Yes, 7.0 just builds upon the prior releases. I might open a new thread for MDOS down the road. I don't want to overpromise, but I am going to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. You should be able to use 6.70RC2 with the HFDC with no problems and in fact, a more recent tester or two would be helpful.

• Like 2

Yes, 7.0 just builds upon the prior releases. I might open a new thread for MDOS down the road. I don't want to overpromise, but I am going to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. You should be able to use 6.70RC2 with the HFDC with no problems and in fact, a more recent tester or two would be helpful.

Lmk happy to test on my geneve w/hfdc