IGNORED

SCSI2SD Adapter Works!

Shift838

Remember that you can trustfully test MDOS against HFDC using MAME, since that configuration is indeed implemented - unless you expect some behavior outside of the specification (e.g. timing issues due to the used circuits). What we don't have is a SCSI controller emulation.

• Like 1

thanks Michael. MAME is a great avenue for testing. The only real-world testing that is 'absolutely' necessary is to confirm that both cards work together in the same system. I removed the HFDC from my system to use it for repair purposes long ago, and never got around to putting it back in.

Oh, and not to forget your implementation of the larger Horizon RAMdisk, that will allow us to test the 'hard drive' implementation for the RAMdisk, which doesn't require a SCSI card but relies upon the common HFDC and SCSI routine framework.

Edited by InsaneMultitasker

I was able to successfully copy Heatwave BBS files to the SCSI2SD device and even had it running for a short period on my spare system. I am focused on fixing a few more MDOS-related things before I return to either the BBS or TIMXT related code. Since the latter efforts are dependent on the functionality of the second system, this extra work is not a typical 'distraction'. What I hope to do is move Heatwave to my spare system with SCSI2SD and leverage the updated OS to boost the overall system speed. :)

• Like 3

Well, I've sent two messages inquiring about the interrupt being generated by the SCSI2SD device. So far no response. I'll finish patching the MDOS interrupt handler once I'm sure the code won't create a new problem. I'm still trying to find the platter or image containing the high density cluster fixes; I have a disk image with the file, but no corresponding compiled image. Same thing is true of some other DSR code I've been trying to find. I'm hoping I didn't lose that work.

On the plus side, assembling MDOS is now 35-40% faster when using MDOS 6.70RC2 versus 6.50, with the same SCSI2SD drive. I'm considering copying the low level IO code into the Geneve's 32K fast SRAM to test performance. The current routines run from the 512K on-board DRAM. In fact, I am curious to know whether or not running the file IO routines from the fast SRAM would speed things up another 25-50%.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Look for one of the Blue Edition cards to see if the DSR/Mach chips have the same revisions. That was the final batch of new cards. I'll have to pull mine out to check (assuming I have time this weekend).

For the "Mach" chip on the SNUG´s ASCSI2,

I have the v2.06 / 18.Mar.1999 as you can see in the pics,

and I know that a v2.07 exists, dated 03.Sep.1999

(But I think you are talking about the WHT SCSI here)