IGNORED

Atari Bringing 100 Classic Titles to Steam

Bixler

Awesome! I hope I can use my Atari 2600 joystick with these which I'm sure is possible since they said it supports controllers. If not I'll use Joytokey if I have to.

Someday I hope this expands to other arcade games.

Anyone have a Steam Controller?

Supposedly it "emulates" a trackball really well.

• Like 1

So it's Atari Anthology all over again. I wonder if they have an idea about how many sales are just us old people buying the same thing, over and over and over again?

I think I'm just about done with them, since it's unlikely to be very different from what has come before, and unable to compete with the competition of emulation.

But I like Code Mystics and want to support them, even though I don't care much about the company called "Atari."

Oh what to do, what to do? Perhaps it will be priced out of touch with reality so I won't have to decide..

• Like 1

Wikipedia mentions a download version of Atari Anthology, but it was probably only made available thru their website, not a cloud store like Steam or GOG or something similar I would want to use.

The DS version was stupidly split across two cartridges and never updated for 3DS or made available on the eShop. The Android and iOS versions were fine out of the gate but not well supported to work with the changing OS (the fault of "Atari," not Code Mystics).

If it's less than $30 for everything, I'll probably get it the way I always do (like a sucker), just to show support for legitimate commercial emulation. And to justify my use of ROMs which are generally easier to use and sometimes more fun.

If they added some better-designed WarioWare type hotseat functions, like Atari Anthology, that would help justify the purchase.

What I like is the extra fluff that was in Gameroom on 360, remember that? I thought it was cool having your own arcade and getting achievements etc. Only problem I had was the controls. A paddle and joystick (or an arcade stick) was the only way to go for me on some of those games. Kaboom IMO was unplayable without a paddle or at least a trackball.

HERO which I'm really good at on a real Atari, I generally sucked at on Gameroom although I did get sort of used to it on the keyboard.

• Like 1

The Android and iOS versions were fine out of the gate but not well supported to work with the changing OS (the fault of "Atari," not Code Mystics).

I dont know about the Android version,but the iOS version was patched to fix issues with running on newer versions of iOS. It was recently updated to work with the iPad Pro as well.

I dont know about the Android version,but the iOS version was patched to fix issues with running on newer versions of iOS. It was recently updated to work with the iPad Pro as well.

I originally installed this collection back in January 2015 when I got my new phone. It would not work at all, so I quickly uninstalled it.

I reinstalled it this week (and bought the game packs), and the new version works just fine -- though I have mainly played the arcade games rather than the 2600 games.

Since they mention "rocking soundtracks" i'm right to assume they mean the Arcade-versions rather than home console versions, right? :P

I would assume something like the Activision Anthology, which has a bunch of 80s tunes. It's not the most original idea in the world, especially compared to something like the decade+ old Vice City, but I'd like that well enough.

I hope this gets a release on dedicated gaming hardware like was once the norm with compilations.

And please get Food Fight on there. It was such a breath of fresh air when Game Room's coverage on the 360 actually added something new to the lineup past the old standbys like Asteroids and Battlezone. They're great classics for a reason, but after seeing the same games emulated time and again, it was nice to see Microsoft reach a bit further into Atari's coinop portfolio and include that classic.

So it's Atari Anthology all over again.

Minus Battlezone and the other IP's they sold off.

The DS version was stupidly split across two cartridges

Was there the space available to do it on one, without making sacrifices like eliminating the manual scans?

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I don't know much about DS cartridge sizes, but the Atari DS hits were 29MB for volume 1 and 25MB for volume 2. Elite Beats is 90MB, Spirit Tracks is 50MB, Lego Star Wars is 50MB, Lego Lord of the Rings is 90MB ...evidence seems to point out that a bigger cartridge could be done. Perhaps it costs more, so cost-cutting plus greed ("collectors gotta collect") are to blame. I'm not much of a cartridge person so if something really grabs me, it gets to live in my 3ds slot alongside all the downloads. With Atari Hits split across two collections, it never had much of a chance with me. ;-)

Awesome! I hope I can use my Atari 2600 joystick with these which I'm sure is possible since they said it supports controllers. If not I'll use Joytokey if I have to.

Someday I hope this expands to other arcade games.

Anyone have a Steam Controller?

Supposedly it "emulates" a trackball really well.

It does emulate a trackball really well. Would be a good fit, actually now that you bring it up... hmm.

I don't know much about DS cartridge sizes, but the Atari DS hits were 29MB for volume 1 and 25MB for volume 2. Elite Beats is 90MB, Spirit Tracks is 50MB, Lego Star Wars is 50MB, Lego Lord of the Rings is 90MB ...evidence seems to point out that a bigger cartridge could be done. Perhaps it costs more, so cost-cutting plus greed ("collectors gotta collect") are to blame. I'm not much of a cartridge person so if something really grabs me, it gets to live in my 3ds slot alongside all the downloads. With Atari Hits split across two collections, it never had much of a chance with me. ;-)

Considering that the entire Atari Library won't fill a 1 gb SD card....

Lemme guess, the lowest grade of software emulation developed by shovelware-grade shops and people who have never even touched the originals. Seems to be the trend with everybody else--and if there's one thing I can count on with Atari, it's that they won't be up to par. Midway arcade treasures all over again.

I don't think that describes Code Mystics very well at all.

what part of it? They look like the standard shop that does nothing but this kind of thing--when they're not busy porting hidden object games, that is.

I'll confess that I've never played their games, but I'm pretty sure I already have 3 of them--garbage from bundles, etc.

Edited by Reaperman

So it's Atari Anthology all over again. I wonder if they have an idea about how many sales are just us old people buying the same thing, over and over and over again? I think I'm just about done with them, since it's unlikely to be very different from what has come before, and unable to compete with the competition of emulation. But I like Code Mystics and want to support them, even though I don't care much about the company called "Atari."

MAME, Stella, and Altirra will cover your Atari emulation needs while at the same time providing you with an all-around superior experience. Convenience. Reliability. Accuracy. It's all there including the fun!

This claptrap ratbag organization that calls itself "Atari" seems to be slow moving, obscure, and completely out of touch with what gamers want. I suppose that doesn't matter hella whole lot since modern-day emulation has been in top gear for quite some time now.