IGNORED

Direct connect modem

Milli V

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, my memory may just be old and fuzzy, but I clearly recall connecting two modems directly to each other.

A lot of Modems look for Voltage on the line, to know if they are connected to the Phone System.... That is what "the box" provides...

MarkO

• 3 weeks later...

Am I missing something? To hook up two computers, I simply use a null modem cable which can be bought for $2 bucks. I attach my Model III to my modern PC with a null modem serial cable and download all the software like an old school BBS. No need for multiple modems or anything else.

I guess a device like that and a pair of modems could come in handy (25+ years ago) if you had a huge commercial building and needed two computers to communicate several hundred feet apart.

Okay, my memory may just be old and fuzzy, but I clearly recall connecting two modems directly to each other.

You can also do this without the battery, but you have to use the phone line, and you have to wait till the busy signal expires. Basically it's the same thing.

But to a 5 year old kid this is like real frontier experimentation! We didn't know what serial ports and rs-232 were - often thinking they were some sort of scientific or business connector at best. Where as modems were real game connectors.

• Like 2

it wood be cool if you can login to the internet with a real vintage modem with that, you run old aol for ms dos and on your xp computer

you connect to it at 2400 into xp that will let you in to tcp/ip or linux pc mmm maybe better than rs232 cable and more fun.

David B

I'm sure there are 10s of thousands of people still using XP and a dial up modem to access the internet. My ISP still offers dial up and in many remote areas, dial up is your only choice.

An internal or external modem is all that's needed and you're not limited to DOS, XP or AOL as even Windows 10 will support a dial up modem.

haha...I just checked and over 2 million people in the US still use dial up just on aol alone!

• Like 1

Am I missing something? To hook up two computers, I simply use a null modem cable which can be bought for $2 bucks.

I think some of that might depend on whether or not the device / software supports a serial port.

I wonder how this might help Dreamcast users who want to poke with connectivity, but can't afford a Broadband adapter?

I don't have a Dreamcast, but seem to remember it's modem or broadband adapter (expensive), no serial port?

If so, you could use this device and a PC (or Raspberry Pi with a modem) to give your Dreamcast an "internet" connection.

Just a thought..

desiv

(p.s. A possible issue with this might be that some fancier modems (the voice ones come to mind) might be looking not just for voltage, but an actual dial tone..)

• Like 1