IGNORED

NES looks like crap on 4k tv...

My old mitsubishi ws65315 died yesterday. Went to costco today and got this. 1479 - 500 dollars. So 1000 dollars not bad.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN55JS700DFXZA

But picture looks very bad. Tv looks great. We have directv. But NES is very bad.

Might be time to sell. And someday sets will remove rca and maybe even coax all together. So it might be time. But I will start another thread for that later.

But time being it looks so bad.

http://mvvg.blogspot.com/2016/01/nes-craop-on-4k-tv.html

What gives. Is it time to sell my nintendo? I know my other tv works. But eventually 5-10 years when it dies also it will be the same issue. And cheap goodwill tvs are junk no guarantee to last very long either.

There is no av port. Just 1 shared port. The green is for composite and component. But I was going through vcr and coax. So maybe. But vcr has its own tuner. And on the old tv (same vcr) its good and not fuzzy like now.

So I decided to try the shared av port. It works but is even worse. First two pics on mvvg are vcr and next 3 is tv builtin shared av port. So what gives? Using toaster and av cable. Not top loader. But probably won't matter.

Having just upgraded my TV myself, my first bit of advice is- CHANGE YOUR ASPECT RATIO. Putting the composite input to a 4:3 display changed my picture from 'horrid' to 'I can live with this for now'.

If that's not enough to get you by, you've got a bit of an uphill battle trying to find scalers/interlacers/etc. to improve your picture. The short version is 'get a framemeister and the best video cable you can manage'. That's gonna cost you, though- the framemeister alone is 300ish dollars.

boxpressed gave me this link: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ It's a big ol' ball of picture-upgrading info. Give it a lookover, it'll help you sort things out.

• Like 1

Well my mom want to get rid of the old games. So maybe this is my excuss. And as for "retro gaming" well hello. It called "atariage" for a reason. Its all retro. Atari doesn't have a 2016 console. Last was jaguar 1993-1996. Except for flashbacks. But that's not exactly modern also.

And yes not all tvs are 4k or have to be. But the others will not last forever either. So eventually it will be time to stop being classic. I wonder when it will stop. But people wont still be playing NES and ATARI 100 years from now.

If you're willing to spend $1,000 on a TV for other hobbies (watching television shows/movies and playing modern games) and you still enjoy retro games then why not invest $20 or $30 in a TV to play your retro games on? You can find really nice CRT TVs like Sony Trinitrons on Craigslist for super cheap and all your pre-HD era games will look great on them. A 20" CRT TV doesn't take up much space and will be light enough to pick up and carry yourself, so why not make a little room in your entertainment center for one and continue enjoying your hobby? :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 7

I have two crts. One 1990 rca 20" and one 13 inch tv/vcr combo toshiba. But my mom wants to get rid of the clutter. And they will not last forever either. I mean 26 years later surprised the rca still works. And don't know how old the other one is. Plus my 65" rp mitsubishi ws65315 looked very good. Not this 4k crap I have now. 65 inches was way better than my crappy 20 inch ctr.

Well I guess there is always wii and virtual console. Will hook that up and see how it looks.

OK, I checked 4:3 aspect ratio. Same thing with vcr. It just adds black border on the sides. Middle is the same thing. Fuzzy as hell. And the component shared av port won't let me go into 4:3 mode even with nes. Stuck on 16:9.

If your Samsung is anything like my Samsung, you change the ratio for each source separately. You may have to start running something through the component/composite port, then go through the adjustment again.

I have two crts. One 1990 rca 20" and one 13 inch tv/vcr combo toshiba. But my mom wants to get rid of the clutter. And they will not last forever either. I mean 26 years later surprised the rca still works. And don't know how old the other one is. Plus my 65" rp mitsubishi ws65315 looked very good. Not this 4k crap I have now. 65 inches was way better than my crappy 20 inch ctr.

Well I guess there is always wii and virtual console. Will hook that up and see how it looks.

Nothing lasts forever, dude. Eventually the NES will die, along with your CRTs, the HDTV, and the Wii. If you enjoy playing it, keep it- Nintendo retro is pricey, you'll be very unhappy if you have to re-buy your games.

Now, you say your mom is on your case about 'clutter'- the question is, how "right" is she? I've got a dozen systems squeezed into a 3-foot wide entertainment center, but everything is neatly on its own shelf. Meanwhile, in the past I've had friends with half the setup look far more 'cluttered' because they just kinda haphazardly stacked machines on top of each other. The question is- do you need to organize, or does mom just see no value in the games at all?

Edited by HoshiChiri

So I decided to try the shared av port. It works but is even worse. First two pics on mvvg are vcr and next 3 is tv builtin shared av port. So what gives? Using toaster and av cable. Not top loader. But probably won't matter.

If you're getting a black & white image using he shared AV port, it most likely means the port is still set to accept component input. The settings on the TV should have an option to switch to composite input.

On the plus side, it looks like your TV accepts 240p over component. Not every HDTV can handle that. If you have old consoles that output RGB (SNES/Genesis/etc), you can convert the RGB to component and get much nicer image quality on that TV than whats possible through composite/RF alone.

If you're getting a black & white image using he shared AV port, it most likely means the port is still set to accept component input. The settings on the TV should have an option to switch to composite input.

On the plus side, it looks like your TV accepts 240p over component. Not every HDTV can handle that. If you have old consoles that output RGB (SNES/Genesis/etc), you can convert the RGB to component and get much nicer image quality on that TV than whats possible through composite/RF alone.

That is good advice. Thanks for the right reply.

As for living arrangements I can't afford my own place. But I hear you all. The problem is my mom thinks it all junk and don't see the value (sentimental or otherwise).

But any how I have way too much collection so I need to thin. So I will list most on ebay soon. I will keep some but most will go. Maybe just keep 2 or 3 systems and rest will go. I like retro gaming but most are unused.

As for living arrangements I can't afford my own place. But I hear you all. The problem is my mom thinks it all junk and don't see the value (sentimental or otherwise).

But any how I have way too much collection so I need to thin. So I will list most on ebay soon. I will keep some but most will go. Maybe just keep 2 or 3 systems and rest will go. I like retro gaming but most are unused.

You might try having a serious sit-down with your mom to try and explain that this is your thing, and making you get rid of it just because is like making her get rid of [insert something of great value to mom here]. Also, definitely go over your storage setup- a couple boxes in a closet are different than a disorganized bookshelf.

Also- maybe consider getting a retron 5. You can condense several classic consoles into 1 unit that outputs in hdmi, so it'll get along with your new tv. Then you could sell the extra systems (we do have a sales forum here, by the way ;) )

I have 60 retro computers and 30+ retro consoles. Plus several CRT TV's. I snatch up $5 CRT's at thrift stores all the time. Keep them in my storage building. You can have all of that when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.

And yes...I'm happily married with 4 kids. Lol

And BTW, criticizing the NES display (that was designed 30+ years before 4K TV's existed) is a little silly. One day when you're playing your PS4 on a 100" 64k TV you'll understand what I mean.

I called samsung and we fixed the problem. NES works great now. I thought since its shared you just unplug the green and plug you yellow in. Not so. You must unplug all and then do it. if not then its a grey pciture and fuzzy or lines on component. And does not work with a switcher. Must be directly plugged in the back. You have to leave only the red,white, and yellow cable in only. Nothing else. And if you just unplug the green and not all cables it says "There's no signal or it isn't strong enough. Please check the source connection." on AV source. Audio is fine. But yellow cable only. As soon as you unplu the blue and red from composite it clicks and works. So it only yellow on back and nothing else. Not sure why but that how it is.

And in source there is Component and AV even though its on a shared port. Did not realize that. So you have to go to AV in source instead of component as somebody else said here. But the main thing I did not realize is only yellow cable plugged or oyu get the signal error. As soon as you unplug everything else and just put it yellow cable it changes to AV and you works. Or you manually select it if not but works. Now all is good. NES still slightly fuzzy but so much better. Actually live able as another said.

That is stupid design. It may be fine for people who has only component devices or composite device but for someone who has both (BD player and NES for example), this requires frequent swapping which will lead to premature wear on the plugs and ports and even break something.

Not allowed to use switch box to toggle 2 devices between composite and component? Fuck it.

• Like 1

That is stupid design. It may be fine for people who has only component devices or composite device but for someone who has both (BD player and NES for example), this requires frequent swapping which will lead to premature wear on the plugs and ports and even break something.

Not allowed to use switch box to toggle 2 devices between composite and component? Fuck it.

I figured it would be like this. Even my old 2006 Sanyo disables the composite when and Svideo cable is connected, essentially making the Svideo connection useless if you have a composite switchbox. Svideo appears to be dead sadly since 2010 or so.

All TVs seem to have a single shared component connection now. The RCA jacks are "smart" ie they can tell when a cable is plugged in. So you can't use RCA switchboxes to swap between composite and component. None of the existing TVs on the market will permit this.