IGNORED

Thinning out collection?

Regardless of what anybody else says I have too much video games. Need to trim. So off to ebay.

Would it be better to list one system and accessories at a time? Or just make 1 huge pile and say local pickup only?

Individually might not sell much. Or together is not good either because its too much and somebody might not want it all.

Large lots rarely seem to sell for anywhere what they are worth on Ebay. Which makes sense... most people just want to build their collections a bit at a time and not deal with a huge lot of things that will need to be tested and sorted, with the unwanted bits sold off. So if you want to get what your collection is worth, you're almost certainly going to have to list things individually.

On the other hand, if your primary goal is just to thin things out in a hurry, you can always sell a large lot off at a loss. But I'd still sell off the most valuable bits individually.

I've been spending a fair amount of time browsing eBay for Atari lots lately. There is definitely in my mind a size where the lot is simply too large to be attractive. I saw a lot of 200 carts where the seller had a $400 BIN. Not going to pay $2 a cart, plus I think I counted 14 copies of Combat. Plus at that point shipping becomes prohibitively expensive as well -- I am of the mind if you can't fit stuff into prepaid USPS priority mail boxes then don't bother.

If I had to thin out/sell stuff and I had to time to do so I would pull out rare and/or high value titles and sell them invidually. From there break them into lots and avoid having dupes at all costs. You could go one of two ways -- just make lots of ~20 that have a nice assortment of titles. OR break them up thematically. Like a lot Parker Bros. carts or shooters or sports games or silver label carts. That latter strategy usually gets me to stop and look more closely.

OR you can do what I did and take a loss in the process. I downsized significantly and sold off a good chunck of my collection to a local retro gaming store. Didn't have time or paitience to deal with selling on eBay or here or even dealing with Craigslist.

• Like 1

I'd break down your collection by portions and list them in the Marketplace on here. It's better than ebay as you won't be paying the lousy seller fees. Just sell a system with the games, controllers, and hookups all at once as a bundled lot. If you sell everything all at once, it will be more expensive and no one is going to shell out thr higher cost plus the shipping. Best to do it in portions. That's my opinion.

I just called 2 gamestop near me. And they all take retro consoles. Pretty good prices.

original nintendo 27 in store credit or 21 cash

super nintendo and nintendoo 64 are worth 35 dollars

and my dreamcast is worth 25 dollars

Not bad. Only thing is you have to provide at least 1 controller, av cable, and ac adapter with it. So might not be worth it. But I do have extras laying around except original nes ac adapter. So not sure if that is fare. But even ebay + fees and shipping its about the same.

Over the past few years I've started getting rid of games I don't care enough about to keep a physical copy of and have bought flashcarts for every console I can.

I probably still have thousands of games, but it's much more manageable for space and accessibility.

Ya well only problem is they don't make a NES flashback.

Ebay is your only logical choice IF you intend to get a reasonable return on investment. If you care about keeping your collection in the hands of those who would appreciate it, then forums are an ok choice...but even then, that 'fan' you sell to might also just take and flip it on ebay, especially if it's worth something. Craigslist and other sites like it are ok, but not if time is an issue. You generally get a lot of tirekickers, and even then it can be a pain in the ass to set up a sale.

Ebay is your best bet. Set up a store if you have a lot of stuff, and you'll minimize fees. But there's ebay's biggest drawback: fees. You'll lose 10% of your sale to them, and a few more points to paypal. But...it's still the best option, IMO.

Start an auction on ebay. 99 cents for the starting bid and have it last for a week. Rest assured you will get a lot of bidders and will get at least 70 bucks out of the process if there is games and controllers.

I don't suggest an auction format on ANYTHING that could be of particular value. You'd be surprised how angry you'll get when your lot sells for $2.10 (it's happened to me before...not fun).

Just set a Buy It Now with option to make offers and leave it for two weeks. If you get no bites, then drop the price a bit and repeat. If you get zero bites at your lowest price, then you've got some deadweight. I'd rather donate to a thrift shop than go through the hassle of packaging and all that noise.

27 for a used toaster nintendo nes is pretty good. Ebay won't give more than 27 dollars.

No. You should be able to get at least double that online.

Make a for-sale thread on this forum, bypass eBay and its fees. Take good photos, quote shipping prices and describe your items well, and you will be surprised how fast the items will move here.