IGNORED

BLE D.E.R. (Disk Emulator Routine)

jcbstein

Yes, I do own this.

I am trying to figure out the purpose of the software which is "D.E.R. Program Disk Menu Version 1.60"

I had read that article in the past but it only says how to hook up the cable and where the cartridge goes but not how to actually use it.

The disk I have does not appear to have the programs listed in the article.

I guess I will have to toy around with it a bit to figure out how to use it properly.

It's an SIO to SIO cable, with Tx and Rx swapped, and COMMAND and INTERRUPT swapped. The Cart is plugged into the Atari you want to use as a disk emulator.

You may want to read the ANALOG articles on "Atari Zucchini", as this (and a similar Printer Buffer program from the same company) appear to be based on that work.

Just a thought... If this could be turned into a set of SDX drivers, might it be possible to have one computer with a hard drive as a master, and the other one (connected via the special SIO cable) as a slave, both running a BBS program?

This would certainly be a cheaper solution for a multi-line BBS system than a cartridge port (wiggle it and lock-up) MUX.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think this would be a good candidate for a archiving and making atr disk.... I could see myself using this after making a few changes to transfer at pokey divisors at or close to zero!

_The Doctor!__

This would save money on the electric bill.... my pc eats 90 watts or more all the time.... my Atari doesn't use nearly that much!

• Like 1

Just a thought... If this could be turned into a set of SDX drivers, might it be possible to have one computer with a hard drive as a master, and the other one (connected via the special SIO cable) as a slave, both running a BBS program?

This would certainly be a cheaper solution for a multi-line BBS system than a cartridge port (wiggle it and lock-up) MUX.

A well-designed driver set would permit both computers to access drives on the other. The biggest challenge would be that Atari DOSes were not designed with sharing in mind.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Huge thanks to the OP for dumping the disk and for all the other goodies he provides on a regular basis:

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-disk-emulator-routine_30963.html

The whole combo is probably required to make the program work but it's great to have at least part of it archived :)

Edited by www.atarimania.com
  • Like 2

On 8/7/2020 at 8:38 AM, www.atarimania.com said:

Huge thanks to the OP for dumping the disk and for all the other goodies he provides on a regular basis:

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-disk-emulator-routine_30963.html

The whole combo is probably required to make the program work but it's great to have at least part of it archived :)

Your welcome, just doing my part to preserve Atari history.