IGNORED

Omnivore, the Atari 8-bit Binary Editor

playermissile

Oops. WinPython does not come with wxPython out of the box (its focus is on Qt).

I'm using a very recent version of wxPython anyway, one that most distributions don't yet use, so I would have had to figure out a way to compile it for WinPython regardless. I'll still probably check it out. Certainly I'll be checking out pyinstaller, at least.

I noticed that this program creates an error log that gets appended to. So after several hundred runs the LOG file could become quite large.

Yes, I've just been ignoring that for a long time. I should figure that out so it's at least overwritten instead of appended to. And not prompting the user when you quit the application. I've added it to the bug list.

• Like 1

Copying and pasting files between images would be nice too.

My goal is to have files appear in the Segments list such that they can be operated on just like other segments, and also so you wouldn't see the data from the last 3 bytes of every sector (the bits that DOS uses to point to the next sector and stuff) -- how an XEX image looks now is what they would look like. That's my plan, anyway.

• Like 1

New version! 0.8.2. available here: https://github.com/robmcmullen/omnivore/releases/tag/0.8.2

It's now a 32-bit Windows app (which runs fine on 64 bit windows); Mac version is still 64 bit. No updates on the linux version yet: still have to install from source.

This release fixes several issues mentioned on the forum. From the ChangeLog:

• Added menu item for char map zoom
  • Fixed #7: added user selectable bitmap width
  • Fixed crash when trying to modify value in empty grid cell
  • Fixed paste that goes off the end of a segment
  • Fixed grid refresh problem on windows. MemoryDC has to be deleted before drawing will happen!
  • Fixed #13: log files are now saved in the user's log directory and don't trigger the py2exe exit dialog
  • Fixed the open recent menu that wasn't getting populated
  • Fixed #11: added preference for disassembly mnemonics in lower or upper case
  • Fixed #10: added preference for upper/lower case hex digits
Edited by playermissile
  • Like 6

Thanks! It looks great. I haven't thoroughly tested it yet, but in the first minute of running it, it helped me identify an unknown Atari ROM file.

It installed quickly and without error on Windows XP SP3.

Very nice :)

I'm building on Windows 7, so glad to hear that it also works on XP! Let me know if you run into any issues.

And always interested to hear feature requests.

I'm very impressed with this, having finally had a chance to install and fiddle around. Immediately ran into this under Windows 10 64-bit when double-clicking a drive in the file browser window, however:

post-21964-0-48938500-1454501369_thumb.png

Of course I can just go into File->Open instead in the meantime.

Also a bit of bother with bitmap scrolling:

post-21964-0-47475800-1454501756_thumb.png

Opened a bitmap, changed the width to 40 bytes, then scrolled horizontally across it, at which point the window became corrupted.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

Yes, I've just been ignoring that for a long time. I should figure that out so it's at least overwritten instead of appended to. And not prompting the user when you quit the application. I've added it to the bug list.

Maybe two or more "rolling" logs. At start last used - current - gets number in name and this with highest number is deleted, others renamed with increased number in name?

Looks very nice... any chance for SpartaDOS support?

Long term, probably. Looks complicated, though. Found a reference here for the extended binary file format: http://sdx.atari8.info/sdx_files/4.47/sdx_4-47_progr_guide.pdfbut didn't see a reference to the on-disk structure. Any pointers? I think the directory & VTOC are totally different than Atari DOS, right?

I'm very impressed with this, having finally had a chance to install and fiddle around. Immediately ran into this under Windows 10 64-bit when double-clicking a drive in the file browser window, however:

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Also a bit of bother with bitmap scrolling:

Opened a bitmap, changed the width to 40 bytes, then scrolled horizontally across it, at which point the window became corrupted.

Huh, weird on the file browser pane. That's a wxPython standard toolkit thing so on other platforms it just works. Have to check that out.

I'll look into the scrolling bug. I've run into it before so I think I know what's going on.

Thanks for the bug reports!

Long term, probably. Looks complicated, though. Found a reference here for the extended binary file format: http://sdx.atari8.info/sdx_files/4.47/sdx_4-47_progr_guide.pdfbut didn't see a reference to the on-disk structure. Any pointers? I think the directory & VTOC are totally different than Atari DOS, right?

Hey there. You were looking in the SDX Programmer's Manual. There is a companion User's Manual also. It has the info you are looking for I think. See section 7.

• Like 1

Hey there. You were looking in the SDX Programmer's Manual. There is a companion User's Manual also. It has the info you are looking for I think. See section 7.

Thanks, that looks like it. Yikes, complicated! Looks like 3 different types of on-disk format, SDFS 1.1, 2.0, 2.1. It would take some time to understand, that's for sure. Is there a standard place for a VTOC or directory, or are those spread around? This is my first time looking at SpartaDOS.

Omnivore is based on my atrcopy python library for disk images, but that only handles Atari DOS format. It would have to be extended to support SpartaDOS, and given the complexity of the SpartaDOS filesystem (and my lack of experience with it) it wouldn't be a high priority for me at the moment. Maybe someone feels like hacking some python? :)

You can probably safely ignore SDFS 1.1, since it quickly became deprecated AFAIK. The differences between 2.0 and 2.1 are relatively slight. The boot sector contains pointers to all the important stuff (VTOC, root directory sector map). SDFS isn't terribly complex once you get the hang of it, and lacks some of the nasty DOS 2.x stuff such as sector links in the same sectors as file contents. :)

• Like 1

That happens for me as well. I haven't tried the bitmap scrolling yet.