IGNORED

And The Winner Is...

I was fun to join this contest, look forward for a new one :)

I actually ran a bid out of time, so if I had more time (but as some of you will know, I am quite active in the ColecoVision area too).

The games submitted was not what I wanted to do from the start :)

Classic Battleships was submitted very close to the deadline :)

But amazing my games got so high scores as i did.

Also want to Mention, even I am DANISH, but I live in Sweden, and quite proud to see 4 games submitted from SWEDEN :)

• Like 8

An update on prizes

I've had it confirmed that RetroGamer magazine will be doing a feature on the contest in an upcoming Homebrew section article. I'll be sending a paper copy of that magazine edition to every entrant because I know the magazine is hard to get in some parts of the world. As soon as I know exactly when its happening I'll pass the info on.

All entrants will receive a certificate (some of them two) for their ranking place in the contest.

All entrants below 3rd will receive an Intellivision pencil as a token "wooden spoon".

I forgot to add: For 4th prize, nanochess will be donating 2 Intellivision games.

And the 4th prize is: one Intellivision CIB Sydney Hunter and the Shrines of Peril, and one Intellivision CIB Flapee Bird :)

• Like 4

This was a MASSIVE endeavor. Very cool to see so many people working on great stuff. Congratulations to all. I look forward to watching them grow even more polished. Really impressive work buy the contestants and the judges. I can't wait to a multicast or other release of these. It was been a very fun thing to watch over the year.

Thanks to everybody.

• Like 1

Just a word on the state of all the submissions. Note that most, if not all, of them are actually work in progress. The programmers were constrained by the contest time, and had to finish the game to some extent in order to submit it for judgement. Some were even published in haste at the last possible moment in order to participate in the contest.

It is our expectation (and our hope) that the programmers will continue working on their games and polishing them for their eventual public release. We are all lucky to see such amazing talent and dedication in all these entries. I can't wait what they will come up next! :)

• Like 3

In particular, thanks to Nanochess and all the others who have contributed to make IntyBASIC an easy to use, yet powerful and efficient language. It seems to me the "reward" per line of code is greater in IntyBASIC than many other, similar languages, which frees the developer to being creative and imaginative more than spending time solving trivial matters or coming up with workarounds.

• Like 5

I... I don't know what to say. I missed out by 2 points. TWO! :lol:

So, you know when you check your lottery ticket numbers, and you're off by a couple digits, and your brain goes "damn, if only I had picked 3 instead of 4, I'd be a millionaire"? I feel a bit of this right now. Let this be a lesson to the rest of you: PUBLISH YOUR SOURCE CODE. If I'm reading the scores right, I'd have placed second if I had done that.

I'm extremely mad at myself, because I'm the first person to encourage others to do so. Why didn't I? Well, to be perfectly honest I guess I'm my own harshest critic. I didn't think Goatnom would win something like this in a million years, not after I saw a few of the entries. I really only entered it because I wanted to make sure that the contest got the required number of entries - I knew there were 3 or 4 solid winners here, but just in case no one else submitted, I wanted to make sure that THOSE had a chance. But because Goatnom is still a work in progress, and contains some of my first IntyBASIC code from almost 18 months ago, I didn't think that sharing it would be helpful (there's a lot of "hack hack hack" and "find a way to optimize this later" in the comments).

Anyway. I'm more than a little flattered by my score. And a bit angry at myself for pulling a big stupid here. I hope someone learns from my mistake here. :P

Congrats to the well-deserved winners. I look forward to trying some of these out in the near future!

• Like 6

And Goatnom... That sure came out of left the farmer's field... The artwork is beautiful. Is there a rom available for the public? Please?

If you're new enough to the forums here... Goatnom is something I started in 2014, back when IntyBASIC didn't have half the features it does now (hell, back then you had to manually print out each digit in a number if you didn't want to the PRINT routine to take forever!). A lot, and I mean a LOT of blood and sweat went into it, and more features were being developed, but ... then it just kinda simmered. Life caught up to me and I really didn't touch INTV programming for many months. Pretty much until PRGE last fall. So I just kinda tossed my hat into the ring, so to speak. Cleaned it up enough for release and sent it in. It's a complete enough game, but I wanted to add a fair bit more before "releasing" it. Many of the judges' comments are ones I've made to myself. Hopefully CIB someday, but it's not going to be my first (more on that, later).

There's a thread in the programming forum from a long while back that has several development versions of the ROM, probably sources at various stages too. The most recent is pretty close to the final state for the contest. This WILL come out, never fear. I just need to focus and finish it up.

And thanks for the compliments :) I like big, bold screens and pushing every last pixel, which is why Whale Hunt blew my socks off.

• Like 4

Freewheel, I understand what you mean. Publishing source code full of hacks and workarounds that still compile, but belong to a previous generation of the language can almost be counter-intuitive to anyone trying to gain understanding in how to use the language. Personally, I begun POKE and PEEK at address 512 before the new #BACKTAB and associated syntax was introduced, and I'm planning to convert to the newer, more logical syntax before sharing work, mainly for that reason.

• Like 4

If there is another IntyBASIC programming contest then you can expect the public release of source code to carry a bigger weighting than it did in this contest. Source code that newcomers to the language can look at and pick through, is an excellent source of learning material because it comes from live games. There is only so much that can be included with IntyBASIC and its SDK.

Next time (if there is one) there will be a concentrated effort in lowering the entry barrier a bit more by providing an example game template, more example games that use the template and a series of tutorials aimed at pulling in a wider audience.

• Like 1

So, you know when you check your lottery ticket numbers, and you're off by a couple digits, and your brain goes "damn, if only I had picked 3 instead of 4, I'd be a millionaire"? I feel a bit of this right now. Let this be a lesson to the rest of you: PUBLISH YOUR SOURCE CODE. If I'm reading the scores right, I'd have placed second if I had done that.

I'm extremely mad at myself, because I'm the first person to encourage others to do so. Why didn't I? Well, to be perfectly honest I guess I'm my own harshest critic. I didn't think Goatnom would win something like this in a million years, not after I saw a few of the entries. I really only entered it because I wanted to make sure that the contest got the required number of entries - I knew there were 3 or 4 solid winners here, but just in case no one else submitted, I wanted to make sure that THOSE had a chance. But because Goatnom is still a work in progress, and contains some of my first IntyBASIC code from almost 18 months ago, I didn't think that sharing it would be helpful (there's a lot of "hack hack hack" and "find a way to optimize this later" in the comments).

Anyway. I'm more than a little flattered by my score. And a bit angry at myself for pulling a big stupid here. I hope someone learns from my mistake here. :P

Congrats to the well-deserved winners. I look forward to trying some of these out in the near future!

I hear ya', and this is part of the reason the extra points are provided: it's not just releasing arcane or inscrutable code; it's offering usable source code that provides an example to others in the community. Of course, we're not judging the source code, but knowing that you will release your code will encourage you to construct it cleanly and clearly from the beginning. That's a good thing. ;)

-dZ.

• Like 1

I hear ya', and this is part of the reason the extra points are provided: it's not just releasing arcane or inscrutable code; it's offering usable source code that provides an example to others in the community. Of course, we're not judging the source code, but knowing that you will release your code will encourage you to construct it cleanly and clearly from the beginning. That's a good thing. ;)

-dZ.

My code will never be constructed cleanly and clearly from the beginning (or at the end). ;)

Instead, if I have to post code, I will sprinkle disclaimers as necessary, such as:

REM yes, I know there's a better way instead of using 32 similar IF/THEN statements

REM this section of code doesn't even make sense to me anymore, but it does seem to work

REM not sure what this is about - I fudged the numbers until it acted the way I wanted it to

REM yes, I should use the colon or perhaps GOTO instead of having 3 identical IF statements

REM in C this would look a bit cleaner, with curly brackets and indentation

Note: these are all hypothetical, of course, and have nothing to do with anything I'm working on right now.
In other news, thanks again to all who participated, and thanks to all who posted code. I know it can be tough to be critiqued, so good job making your work public.
  • Like 4

If there is another IntyBASIC programming contest then you can expect the public release of source code to carry a bigger weighting than it did in this contest. Source code that newcomers to the language can look at and pick through, is an excellent source of learning material because it comes from live games. There is only so much that can be included with IntyBASIC and its SDK.

Next time (if there is one) there will be a concentrated effort in lowering the entry barrier a bit more by providing an example game template, more example games that use the template and a series of tutorials aimed at pulling in a wider audience.

Sounds good. One thing that would lower the entry barrier is having one or two very simple "all-in-one" games. Nothing fancy at all, just short-as-possible bare-bones programs that are barely games, but have a number of features, including background screen, sprites, controller, sound/music, scoring, etc. That way a newbie can get a better idea of how to get all of those elements into one game, rather than having to pull these items from a number of sources.

My code will never be constructed cleanly and clearly from the beginning (or at the end). ;)

Instead, if I have to post code, I will sprinkle disclaimers as necessary, such as:

REM yes, I know there's a better way instead of using 32 similar IF/THEN statements

REM this section of code doesn't even make sense to me anymore, but it does seem to work

REM not sure what this is about - I fudged the numbers until it acted the way I wanted it to

REM yes, I should use the colon or perhaps GOTO instead of having 3 identical IF statements

REM in C this would look a bit cleaner, with curly brackets and indentation

Note: these are all hypothetical, of course, and have nothing to do with anything I'm working on right now.
In other news, thanks again to all who participated, and thanks to all who posted code. I know it can be tough to be critiqued, so good job making your work public.

Or, like me,

REM Had to introduce some 60 extra variables because I just couldn't get the random numbers to generate properly from a neater 2D array. *AAARGGGHH!*

Which was one of the reasons I hesitated to post Source - and it cost me greatly between finishing 12th and finishing 12th! :-D

And I do feel bad like Freewheel - I was only 176 points away from winning it all!

• Like 2

But, seriously speaking now, and allow me to get this off my chest, now that DZ-Jay brought this up.

Just a word on the state of all the submissions. Note that most, if not all, of them are actually work in progress. The programmers were constrained by the contest time, and had to finish the game to some extent in order to submit it for judgement. Some were even published in haste at the last possible moment in order to participate in the contest.

It is our expectation (and our hope) that the programmers will continue working on their games and polishing them for their eventual public release. We are all lucky to see such amazing talent and dedication in all these entries. I can't wait what they will come up next! :)

Please understand that Bowl Bust here is a very early demo and WIP.

At first, I honestly didn't want to submit my entry since it was not nearly ready (only found out about the contest, and joined here, a few weeks prior amidst Real Life). My concern (which, no doubt, was lucid) was that the game would set the unwanted precedent. I was hoping for an extension of the deadline, but encouraged by the Community to submit regardless, and I'm grateful for the feedback that it received as much of it will be realized in its finished state.

I am hopeful that the Community is understanding and will follow the game's progress. I've already provided an update since, even addressing some of its bugs before even mentioned here, and another (really nice) update is being prepared even now.

And I know it’s not only Lonesome Me that feels this way – I also hope others who have submitted something they weren't yet satisfied with continue on and also provide an excellent and fun game to the Community, as I plan to. I too hopefully can provide feedback to these folks.

But, also honestly speaking, I'm sure much of this was a long-time fantasy for many of us. Admit it. :D We share a common denominator, and the goal here is indeed to work together and collectively expand upon a legacy. We have been given an awesome tool in IntyBASIC, let's ride with it. :)

• Like 3

So... do you want to publish your source code post facto? I'm asking because I am preparing the ROM distros of the contest entries now for publication, and I can include the source if you'd like. It wouldn't change the outcome, but you can get that warm and fuzzy feeling that you did The Right Thing. :)

I've updated the first post to include the downloadable ROMs of the top four games. The top three have agreed to share their source code publicly, so they are included in the distribution.

I also included a chart showing the final scores.

-dZ.

• Like 1