IGNORED

And The Winner Is...

• 3 weeks later...

And he's as good as his word - treats came today :)

Aaaaaaaand I'm embarrassed to admit - I kinda very much enjoy Flapee Bird. I hadn't tried it until today. I'm impressed with the physics - most of this type of games I find horrible to control. This works well for me. The only flaw is no disc - if this ever gets released for use on a flashcart, please please please add the disc as a control option!

I could see an annual high score competition for this one. It's crazy addictive for such a simple game. It helps that it looks gorgeous.

• Like 2

And he's as good as his word - treats came today :)

Aaaaaaaand I'm embarrassed to admit - I kinda very much enjoy Flapee Bird. I hadn't tried it until today. I'm impressed with the physics - most of this type of games I find horrible to control. This works well for me. The only flaw is no disc - if this ever gets released for use on a flashcart, please please please add the disc as a control option!

I could see an annual high score competition for this one. It's crazy addictive for such a simple game. It helps that it looks gorgeous.

disc would never work. If you hit say "east and north north east" it would create a double jump. You could do hitting exactly north south east and west but for me it is too hard. I have problems with princess quest for this reason. Its too easy to lose exact direction with the disc. But i guess exact n, s, e, and w could work for some. Edited by pimpmaul69

I just received the Copter Command box set and it was requested I post some pictures, so here they are. This game is good fun with some excellent intro music. Thanks for the great prize Rev!

box front

post-41299-0-67750700-1457212726_thumb.jpg

box back

post-41299-0-40812900-1457212760_thumb.jpg

All four manuals

post-41299-0-89730800-1457212802_thumb.jpg

The patch collection is slowly getting bigger!

post-41299-0-74521400-1457212840_thumb.jpg

A copter command toy helicopter...

post-41299-0-38760800-1457212924_thumb.jpg

...with IntyBasic logo!

post-41299-0-58612000-1457212979_thumb.jpg

Intellivision pencil

post-41299-0-40101000-1457213468_thumb.jpg

The full lot

post-41299-0-16097800-1457213029_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

disc would never work. If you hit say "east and north north east" it would create a double jump. You could do hitting exactly north south east and west but for me it is too hard. I have problems with princess quest for this reason. Its too easy to lose exact direction with the disc. But i guess exact n, s, e, and w could work for some.

I don't think that's a problem with the disc, but of the way that it is read and interpreted.

I don't think that's a problem with the disc, but of the way that it is read and interpreted.

i wasnt sure there was a different way you could interperet it. I know playing bowling i can hold a direction and it is so easy to interperet more than one direction press. Tapping also might not be as bad as trying to hold a position too.

i wasnt sure there was a different way you could interperet it. I know playing bowling i can hold a direction and it is so easy to interperet more than one direction press. Tapping also might not be as bad as trying to hold a position too.

The disc provides a pressure-sensitive surface that recognizes 16 different pressure points. How you read and interpret the input, it's up to the game. Of course, the most common way we know is to treat it as 16 distinct cardinal points, but it's just a bit button with 16 signals.

Another (very simple) example of interpreting the disc differently is during the title screen of most games: in that case it is treated as one single big button, so pressing any direction will activate the game.

What are the controls in Flappy Bird? (Yes, unbelievable, but I've never played it.) I suppose is "press to flap," right?

The disc provides a pressure-sensitive surface that recognizes 16 different pressure points. How you read and interpret the input, it's up to the game. Of course, the most common way we know is to treat it as 16 distinct cardinal points, but it's just a bit button with 16 signals.

Another (very simple) example of interpreting the disc differently is during the title screen of most games: in that case it is treated as one single big button, so pressing any direction will activate the game.

What are the controls in Flappy Bird? (Yes, unbelievable, but I've never played it.) I suppose is "press to flap," right?

yes press for each flap. So would treating it as one button work?

That could be one way: continue flapping while the disc is pressed.

it does continue flapping when pressed is something it does now on the side buttons but so hard to control when you do but neccessary when you have a spot where you are flying over (not in between 2 pipes) 3-5 pipes in a row.

If you don't care about direction, fundamentally the disc behaves exactly the same way as a button - it's either on or off. It's trivial to turn the disc into another button. The "keep flapping if pressed" behaviour can also be done exactly the same way. To be honest I didn't realize that this worked, I just press and release the button every time I want to flap.

I just received the Copter Command box set and it was requested I post some pictures, so here they are. This game is good fun with some excellent intro music. Thanks for the great prize Rev!

WOW! I guess I wasn't paying attention. The logo on the tail is so cool.

post-111-0-83843400-1457797035.jpg

• Like 1

I've updated the first post to recognize freewheel as the fourth place winner, not just a runner up. Also, I included a download link to an archive containing all contest entries in ROM format, along with screenshots and available instructions.

-dZ.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, everybody,

I apologize for the inordinate delay, but I wanted to announce to all contestants that their certificate and "wooden spoon" prizes have been posted. Expect it in the mail soon!

If you are one of the top winners, your award will ship (or has shipped) separately, directly from its sponsor.

On behalf of the entire IntyBASIC Contest organizing crew, I'd like to thank you all once again for your participation, your hard work, and for helping us keep our little old platform alive and kicking. :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Shall we have an "I've got it" contest, to see which country's post service is the most efficient? I understand contestants in the US will get theirs first, but some of us abroad might want to compare, now that you have sent out identical items to multiple recipients at the same time.

Shall we have an "I've got it" contest, to see which country's post service is the most efficient? I understand contestants in the US will get theirs first, but some of us abroad might want to compare, now that you have sent out identical items to multiple recipients at the same time.

Sure! Although I will say that the only overseas shipments went to Canada, Sweden, and Japan.

It would be interesting and fun to find out that the package arrives to Japan before Canada! :lol:

-dZ.

Hm, correct. I think of CrazyBoss as a Dane, but he repeatedly mentions he lives in Sweden just like me.

Yes still a Dane, Danish Passport, Danish Work, Danish Driving license :) but living in Sweden since 2006 - I think we will get the mail the same day, the Swedish Post service is quite good so am sure there is no delay from South (where I live) to middle or just under middle Sweden where carlsson is located :) Anyway compare to USA and Canada we are just a very small country :)

• Like 1

On behalf of the entire IntyBASIC Contest organizing crew, I'd like to thank you all once again for your participation, your hard work, and for helping us keep our little old platform alive and kicking. :)

And on behalf of.. well, me (don't want to speak for others) - thanks once again to the contest organizers, judges, and prize providers who made all of this possible. As many of you know, these labors of love sometimes are a bit more labor than love, so it's nice to have the extra encouragement. Plus, we might end up with some pretty cool releases as a result! I think everything in the contest ended up being original. No ports, no clones, just brand-new material. I was very impressed with the entries.

I hope this is just the start. It would be neat to see a dozen or two small, fun games come out every year. Even just as ROMs or whatever.

• Like 2

I think everything in the contest ended up being original. No ports, no clones, just brand-new material. I was very impressed with the entries.

Except for Classic Battle Ship. And Tic-Tac-Toe. And Slalom. And Stunt Cycle. And that Goat game that's a copy of another game I've seen made for the Intellivision before by some dude called "freeweed." :P

Just joking! I was very impressed at the quality and polish of most of the games, and the originality of concepts and mechanics. :)

I hope this is just the start. It would be neat to see a dozen or two small, fun games come out every year. Even just as ROMs or whatever.

I agree! I hope the contest turns into an annual event, and that the programmers continue working on their masterpieces and produce new ones. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1