IGNORED

And The Winner Is...

Alligator Swamp also is a remake/clone of the PET game that itself was a port of the Sharp MZ-80 game. But the more obscure games you decide to clone (and sometimes improve upon), the more they will appear like original ideas even in case the author admits it being a clone or inspired by an existing game.

So yes, with some liberal definition of what is an original game, at least 50% of those in the competition categorize as such.

Edited by carlsson

OK fine :P Let's just say I'm happy that we didn't end up with 5 Pac-Man clones, 5 ports of very popular 2600 games, and a licensed remake of something that already exists on 18 other platforms.

When you have to tell everyone where it's from, I'm happy to consider it original. Even if it doesn't meet the dictionary definition of the word. :)

• Like 4

FWIW, the wooden spoon arrived today, exactly one week after it was shipped. However, I gotta admit at first I mistook DZ-Jay for rock artist Jim Peterik, since I recently bought his newest CD and today's parcel had the sender "JP" and address. I don't know if that is an insult or a compliment. :-D

• Like 3

FWIW, the wooden spoon arrived today, exactly one week after it was shipped. However, I gotta admit at first I mistook DZ-Jay for rock artist Jim Peterik, since I recently bought his newest CD and today's parcel had the sender "JP" and address. I don't know if that is an insult or a compliment. :-D

Ah! That must be why I get his mail some times. I got your cheque, I will ship your CD soon. :lol: :rolling:

-dZ.

• Like 1

Hi guys. Haven’t been around in a bit due to my current peak season with my work, but still luv ya all, and still loving IntyBASIC. Bowl Bust has advanced greatly since, and also working on something else Inty too… he he… ;)

Also reporting back to say that I did receive my certificate and pencil. I got home late, just now, but, for the record, it arrived in my May 11 morning mail.

Also, I’m touched, and thank you DZ-Jay, and the Community, for this sending - truly awesome! :) :) :)

• Like 2

The gifts keep coming. Got my cert/pencil/button today - I pretty much forgot about these. Very nice touch, and I'm half-tempted to hang the cert in my cube at work. It'd be a good conversation starter if nothing else!

Also congrats on spelling my name right. At my first real job, I got a "10th anniversary" type present that got engraved with my name misspelled. It's nice to see that complete strangers are able to figure out 10 letters correctly :D

• Like 4

The gifts keep coming. Got my cert/pencil/button today - I pretty much forgot about these. Very nice touch, and I'm half-tempted to hang the cert in my cube at work. It'd be a good conversation starter if nothing else!

Also congrats on spelling my name right. At my first real job, I got a "10th anniversary" type present that got engraved with my name misspelled. It's nice to see that complete strangers are able to figure out 10 letters correctly :D

You should add that certificate to your resume as well. It will certainly impress any prospective employer! :lol:

You should add that certificate to your resume as well. It will certainly impress any prospective employer! :lol:

True story: "indy game programmer" was on my resume, and did in fact come up during the interview where I landed my current employment. The game I was working on at the time?

Goatnom.

• Like 2

True story: "indy game programmer" was on my resume, and did in fact come up during the interview where I landed my current employment. The game I was working on at the time?

Goatnom.

That is awesome! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now you can say, "award winning indy game programmer" with a straight face. :lol:

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2

Well, I suppose DZ-Jay is over qualified to work at Starbucks then, if he manages to spell even the tricky names correctly.

Honestly, I check and re-check every single name every time just to make sure I get them right. Mr. freewheel's name wasn't the hardest one to spell. I also had to triple-check how many "s"'s go in "Carlsson." It got me every time! :lol:

Edited by DZ-Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all! I also got the certificate, pencil, and pin. Thanks, DZ-Jay, it brightened my day. I will use "Award Winning" on my resume, it's a great idea.

Copter command: Thanks to Revolutionika. It's impressive, knowing 2600 games can be nearly impossible to recreate in Intellivision. I admit I first tried shooting trucks, like in the old PC game Flightmare. In the 80's I played Chopper Command only one day, I was never good in Defender/Stargate at arcades.

• Like 2

Hello all! I also got the certificate, pencil, and pin. Thanks, DZ-Jay, it brightened my day. I will use "Award Winning" on my resume, it's a great idea.

:cool: You'll impress your future bosses that way. :lol:

Copter command: Thanks to Revolutionika. It's impressive, knowing 2600 games can be nearly impossible to recreate in Intellivision. I admit I first tried shooting trucks, like in the old PC game Flightmare. In the 80's I played Chopper Command only one day [...]

I don't know about that... Rev has proven that it's pretty easy to make any Intellivision game look like an Atari game. :lol:

I was never good in Defender/Stargate at arcades.

I don't think anybody was. Those machines were brutal! :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not trying to sound impatient, but were the magazines posted? Since the gift from DZ-Jay in NC arrived in a week, it would worry me a bit if the one from GroovyBee in England takes two months to arrive.

Sorry for the delay. I haven't forgotten about it. Hopefully they will be in the post at the weekend.

• Like 1

Good to know. It is far better that the magazines still remain with you, than they would've been lost in the mail without notice. I've been lucky and very few packages over the years have been lost. Once it actually took two months for an item to arrive from the UK, and the seller was about to ship an identical item for compensation when it showed up.

• Like 1

All contest entrant Retro Gamer magazines were posted today. I've done the European people and the rest have been sent to DZ for distribution state side (and Japan) to save on shipping.

You mat want to brush up on your geography. Japan is not "state-side" and Canada and Mexico are not in Europe... :P

That's just 'merkin geography! :lol: