IGNORED

Winner of Game Of The Year 2015

vprette

I want to thank David and Carl. I don't know Carl except for buying ROM's, but the 2015 game I played most this year besides Piggy Bank was Ms PacMan. Amazing game.

David has helped my son and I so much over the years with our collecting, I would have never have thought about producing a game without people like David. By helping me and my son, ("sharkcharmer") in our collecting, helping to get a few hard to get games, David got our interest in collecting Intellivision on high and it became a real fun Father and Son activity. Doing Piggy was a natural evolution to our insanity.

People like Rev and C-Mart, Pimpmaul69 and the folks that were so kind to this "old guy" at the PRGE two years back (and this year) made me feel apart of the community. Rev has helped to keep me motivated to do this when things would become "less than" fun.

The month leading up to PRGE was great fun for me! Doing this on a whim. A BLIX battle...it was going to be a 30 cart release joke, but became more, fast. It even helped me get a copy of BLIX for my personal collection. Irony at it's best.

Thanks to "people familiar with the matter." for keeping jokes alive and being smart asses. :-) No he wasn't the programmer. Who am I forgetting? :-)

Special shout out to Albert and Y-Bot for showing (and selling) Piggy Bank at PRGE! Thanks to 5-11Under for dealing with my lunacy and novice understanding of how to do this.

There would be no Piggy without the great programmers and testers that hang out on Atari Age. This game was designed for us. Every snowy bacon flavored level joke in the game was part of our community.

Hat's off to all the games released in 2015 and the people who made it happen, I have two of each release (at least) and I love what you guys are doing! So lets keep doing it.

Hey man, you started a new collection today: a collection of 'like this' with that post :)
Let a humble petitioner congratulate with you for the success of your baby and thank you for what you did and for what you will hopefully do in the future
Edited by intellivotion
  • Like 1

I have to admit, I only glanced at the previous posts.....

How many people have played this game?

I see everyone wants to buy it, but did 55 different people actually play this game? More than 100?

I think people voted for it in hopes it will help it be re-released. Just a guess..

But it seems unlikely that a limited release has a snowball chance at being GOTY. Making this a complete waist of time.

I have no skin in the game, I only have 3 of the 2015 releases. But I voted for 1 of those! How could I vote for a game I didn't play?

I was very surprised that Ms. Pac Man did so well. It is a great game! But it is pretty well dated ( that is, available on every platform etc. ) I think Boulder suffered a bit from this too.

But Carl did a great job with the variations. Congrats!

I have not played Boulder Dash yet, it may have gotten my vote, but I still have to save my pennies and get it one of these days.

Oh, Piggy Bank... You may in fact be the best game of the year, certainly the most original. I just don't understand the numbers?

I hope this is not taken as an Anti Piggy Bank post. It is not at all intended to be that. It is more of a process question I guess?

I see everyone wants to buy it, but did 55 different people actually play this game? More than 100?

I think people voted for it in hopes it will help it be re-released. Just a guess..

But it seems unlikely that a limited release has a snowball chance at being GOTY. Making this a complete waist of time.

I have no skin in the game, I only have 3 of the 2015 releases. But I voted for 1 of those! How could I vote for a game I didn't play?

I was very surprised that Ms. Pac Man did so well. It is a great game! But it is pretty well dated ( that is, available on every platform etc. ) I think Boulder suffered a bit from this too.

I have not played Boulder Dash yet, it may have gotten my vote, but I still have to save my pennies and get it one of these days.

Oh, Piggy Bank... You may in fact be the best game of the year, certainly the most original. I just don't understand the numbers?

I hope this is not taken as an Anti Piggy Bank post. It is not at all intended to be that. It is more of a process question I guess?

Well all copies sold out @ PRGE (I bought the last copy) and then a few re-releases sold out quick so I think there was plenty of Piggy Bank owners who voted. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, there were fresh copies sold on Ebay as well. I voted for it becuz I bought a copy of the cart at PRGE for 30 bucks, but only played it at the PRGE event back in October. I have no Intellivision at home so I have been nagging incessantly about a ROM release so I can play on my laptop. As for it winning, it was the only title that really caught my eye at PRGE and that's before I knew it was on the Intellivision. When I first glanced at it I thought it was a Colecovision title because the graphics were so well done.

Edited by LiqMat

Should I respond? Oh hell, I'll bite. We are a snarky lot here on AA.

14 pages of chat in the Piggy Bank Development thread and 28 pages in the Petition thread and many, many PM's, more than 50 sold at PRGE and more than 120 copies sold and delivered before the poll started and it was limited to only one per person. I think that demonstrates high interest in the game. I had no copies of this game for myself until last week I sold them all.

I bought 3 of Princess Quest and 2 of all the others. (Well I got one Game Factory after it was pulled.). Raw sales are not reflective of users or the number of owners either. I have 3 copies of most new releases since I got involved in collecting. I only play one. So you can make an argument about skewed results if you equate unit sales to played copies.

So I think the numbers are there. I look at Piggy Bank like a cult classic not a block buster hit. People just liked the game, joined in on the fun, liked the inside jokes and were surprised by the gameplay, myself included. In five years when people pull out their system to show it off, they will pull out and play the Ms PacMans, Ms Night Stalkers and DK2's for friends. Will Piggy Bank be played in 5 years? I don't have a clue.

You can't beat an Iconic hero. Long live the Icons of the 80's! This is just a snap shot of a mood this year, I wouldn't overthink it.

• Like 3

I only brought Copter Command, Piggy Bank, Princess Quest, and Number Jumble.

I voted for Copter Command. The game's great. Many different options and accessory to play the game how you want it to play. I love the patch, and the metal copter that came with the game. That is going above and beyond.

Piggy Bank would be my 2nd choice. I love the concept being in a bag with a bacon flavored Dum Dum in it. Open it up, pop that sucker in that Intellivision, unwrap that Dum Dum, and play. I brought the game and the intellivision to my friend house, she likes the game too. I love the lore involved how this game came become. It's really well done. Each level is a puzzle to decide which penny to go in order. Carefully observing the enemy movement is another key to complete the level. I only got to level 6 so far. The way that the heart replenish the pig was a great touch. I do wish there was music playing in the level, they sound really good on the title screen, before level start screen, and credit screen.

Princess Quest would be my 3rd choice. I do have the Colecovision version of this game as well. The game is great. I think the difficulty should be tone down. You had to move a lot to dodge the boss's attack, which is hard to do with the hand controller with both version. Climbing up and down ladder kinda require precision. I do have a lot of trouble with Lightning Armor boss in both version. The 4th level is pretty difficult when you have enemies, rocks, and water drop with little warning due to the random nature of spawning enemies and the screen estate is a lot shorter than the Colecovision version. Speeding down the enemies, and projectiles would be my suggestion to make the game easier. Also, keeping the weapon you picked up after dying would be wonderful. I would love to carry the multiplexing boomerangs and morning star all through out the game. I think the treasures you pick up for point should help you in some way like restore health, bomb all enemies, random weapon(chance to get boomerang weapon early). I don't remember if you get extra lives for getting point or not. Or the game showing you your final score at the ending screen once you beat it, I don't remember seeing one when I beat the Colecovision version. Sorry, I only made it to level 4 in the Intellvision, I'll play it tomorrow morning and see how far I'll get. The game definite have great graphics on the Intellivision.

Number Jumble is another one I ordered, but haven't got it in my hands yet.

I'm definitely looking forward buying and playing more new Intellvision homebrew games for 2016

• Like 2

Side note....a very very small percentage of homebrew fans buy duplicate games from what I have experienced. That is across the board of all titles I've sold.

From open reserve threads it always looked like more to me especially with two box version releases. I canceled some orders that came in for more than one copy. You have had more experience than me so I will defer to you on that, I must hang out with hoarders. :-)

From open reserve threads it always looked like more to me especially with two box version releases. I canceled some orders that came in for more than one copy. You have had more experience than me so I will defer to you on that, I must hang out with hoarders. :-)

Lol! Those guys are the worst! :)

• Like 1

Of the games in the poll, I've played:

• Boulder Dash
  • Ms. Pac-Man
  • Copter Command
  • Princess Quest
  • Piggy Bank
  • Game Factory

The rest I don't own because they did not interest me.

Boulder Dash is not really my kind of game. I didn't really play it on the C=64 back in the day (although I vague remember it being around), so I have very little nostalgia attachment to it. I found this version a bit clumsy and sterile, I don't know... I mean no disrespect to the programmer and publisher, I'm sure people love it; but to me it lacks something to make it more fun. It feels too much like an old school game, where you plug it in, turn it on, and play in a perfunctory manner... I don't know, it just didn't click with me.

As much as I like (and played) the original Pac-Man in arcade or MAME, the Ms. Pac-Man port did not do much for me. Yes, it is technically a well done port, and the use of the screen for the levels is clever; but it is still just another version of a game I already play in many other platforms.

In the Intellivision version, all the sound effects felt very raspy and muddled, making it appear a bit monotonic; and the controls were a bit iffy at times, especially on tight corners. Overall, although a good technical job, I much prefer to play it on MAME or my iPad/iCade. (Plus, I am more partial to original Pac-Man as many people know. :))

Copter Command is a good game, but it feels a bit anachronistic to me. When I play it, it reminds me of visiting my cousin's house and playing on his Atari VCS, and telling him, "You should come over to my house, my games are better!" :lol: Seriously, it is well done and I'm sure a lot of people like it, but the colours, controls, and visuals, all appear to be out of place on an Intellivision. It's like playing an old Activision game, where they just port their Atari version over, complete with chunky sprites and all. At least that's my personal impression.

I feel similarly with Princess Quest, except that it reminds me of a ColecoVision game. Playing it on the Intellivision is extremely hard, and I barely can get anywhere on it. The controls, although responsive, are hard to reconcile with the intricate navigation of the ladders and the platforms. Maybe it's that I suck at it, of course, but I just turn it off after a few rounds in frustration.

Then there's Game Factory, which is not really a game. I bought it for the historical value it has (emotional, not monetary). When I was a kid, I used to be a sucker for all those "Make Your Own Game" programs, especially on the C=64. I always thought that they would be the key to becoming a game programming rock star. :lol: I remember seeing the Game Factory announced at some point and getting very excited. Now I own it, and I see it for what it is: a very clever "behind-the-scenes" look at the Intellivision EXEC framework. It is buggy, half-broken, and not much fun at all.

Which brings me now to Piggy Bank. Yes, I played it. Oh, I played it to death. I was one of the beta testers (yup, not even part of "the people familiar with the matter"), and I saw that little nugget grow from a crappy broken pigglet that could barely jump, to the fantastically polished title that it became. I had a hell-of-a-lot of fun with that game. Even at the end, when it all came together, I still had fun playing through all levels and discovering all the in-jokes put in it. The level of polish and attention to detail is astonishing (a little smily piggy as a selector icon on the high-score naming screen? the exploding piggy and wavy letters on the "Game Over" screen? The "Piggy Tron" effect of re-rezzing Piggy after losing a life? etc.), especially when you consider that it was all done in three weeks.

I played the Piggy again over the holidays (along with Christmas Carol, and some other games, including the ones mentioned in this poll), and I still enjoyed it a lot. Piggy is just cool, bright, funny, and just loads of fun. My kind of game.

So, Perhaps I'm uniquely critical of the other games, but I can totally see how others could feel similar to me. This poll suggests that maybe there is something to this piggy that appeals to more than just me, BBWW, and "the people familiar with the matter." Make of that what you will. ;)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2

I'm a hoarder! Oh the shame! :-) I guess because I have huge sealed or NIB collection I always need one for playing and one to look pretty.

so thats why you only have one piggy, cause pigs are filthy swine and can never look "pretty" :) hopefully you got one of those boxes to keep your piggy bank in. Me personally i dont care about boxes as much as the contents that come inside them. Unless we are talking about the sears set. I would take those boxed. Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

Of the games in the poll, I've played:

• Boulder Dash
  • Ms. Pac-Man
  • Copter Command
  • Princess Quest
  • Piggy Bank
  • Game Factory

The rest I don't own because they did not interest me.

Boulder Dash is not really my kind of game. I didn't really play it on the C=64 back in the day (although I vague remember it being around), so I have very little nostalgia attachment to it. I found this version a bit clumsy and sterile, I don't know... I mean no disrespect to the programmer and publisher, I'm sure people love it; but to me it lacks something to make it more fun. It feels too much like an old school game, where you plug it in, turn it on, and play in a perfunctory manner... I don't know, it just didn't click with me.

As much as I like (and played) the original Pac-Man in arcade or MAME, the Ms. Pac-Man port did not do much for me. Yes, it is technically a well done port, and the use of the screen for the levels is clever; but it is still just another version of a game I already play in many other platforms.

In the Intellivision version, all the sound effects felt very raspy and muddled, making it appear a bit monotonic; and the controls were a bit iffy at times, especially on tight corners. Overall, although a good technical job, I much prefer to play it on MAME or my iPad/iCade. (Plus, I am more partial to original Pac-Man as many people know. :))

Copter Command is a good game, but it feels a bit anachronistic to me. When I play it, it reminds me of visiting my cousin's house and playing on his Atari VCS, and telling him, "You should come over to my house, my games are better!" :lol: Seriously, it is well done and I'm sure a lot of people like it, but the colours, controls, and visuals, all appear to be out of place on an Intellivision. It's like playing an old Activision game, where they just port their Atari version over, complete with chunky sprites and all. At least that's my personal impression.

I feel similarly with Princess Quest, except that it reminds me of a ColecoVision game. Playing it on the Intellivision is extremely hard, and I barely can get anywhere on it. The controls, although responsive, are hard to reconcile with the intricate navigation of the ladders and the platforms. Maybe it's that I suck at it, of course, but I just turn it off after a few rounds in frustration.

Then there's Game Factory, which is not really a game. I bought it for the historical value it has (emotional, not monetary). When I was a kid, I used to be a sucker for all those "Make Your Own Game" programs, especially on the C=64. I always thought that they would be the key to becoming a game programming rock star. :lol: I remember seeing the Game Factory announced at some point and getting very excited. Now I own it, and I see it for what it is: a very clever "behind-the-scenes" look at the Intellivision EXEC framework. It is buggy, half-broken, and not much fun at all.

Which brings me now to Piggy Bank. Yes, I played it. Oh, I played it to death. I was one of the beta testers (yup, not even part of "the people familiar with the matter"), and I saw that little nugget grow from a crappy broken pigglet that could barely jump, to the fantastically polished title that it became. I had a hell-of-a-lot of fun with that game. Even at the end, when it all came together, I still had fun playing through all levels and discovering all the in-jokes put in it. The level of polish and attention to detail is astonishing (a little smily piggy as a selector icon on the high-score naming screen? the exploding piggy and wavy letters on the "Game Over" screen? The "Piggy Tron" effect of re-rezzing Piggy after losing a life? etc.), especially when you consider that it was all done in three weeks.

I played the Piggy again over the holidays (along with Christmas Carol, and some other games, including the ones mentioned in this poll), and I still enjoyed it a lot. Piggy is just cool, bright, funny, and just loads of fun. My kind of game.

So, Perhaps I'm uniquely critical of the other games, but I can totally see how others could feel similar to me. This poll suggests that maybe there is something to this piggy that appeals to more than just me, BBWW, and "the people familiar with the matter." Make of that what you will. ;)

-dZ.

Man, you are extremely vocal for someone not even familiar with the matter! And being a Beta tester, I believe that does make you familiar with the matter, so to speak! :lol:

Man, you are extremely vocal for someone not even familiar with the matter! And being a Beta tester, I believe that does make you familiar with the matter, so to speak! :lol:

It was all a joke. When people were talking about how impossible it was to make a game in three weeks, I was promoting the fact that it was a real game and it was actually quite good. Some people took that to mean that I was defending my own work, and we all laughed internally about it, so I let them believe it and strung them along.

It was fun and funny to watch people's reaction to my comments, not really knowing, but thinking they were sure... "is he? who is it then? I think it's him!" :ponder: :lol:

In the end, I always expected the programmer to be announced. I'm still waiting for it...

It was all a joke. When people were talking about how impossible it was to make a game in three weeks, I was promoting the fact that it was a real game and it was actually quite good. Some people took that to mean that I was defending my own work, and we all laughed internally about it, so I let them believe it and strung them along.

It was fun and funny to watch people's reaction to my comments, not really knowing, but thinking they were sure... "is he? who is it then? I think it's him!" :ponder: :lol:

In the end, I always expected the programmer to be announced. I'm still waiting for it...

Insert "drum roll" here