IGNORED

Winner of Game Of The Year 2015

vprette

It was all a joke. When people were talking about how impossible it was to make a game in three weeks, I was promoting the fact that it was a real game and it was actually quite good. Some people took that to mean that I was defending my own work, and we all laughed internally about it, so I let them believe it and strung them along.

It was fun and funny to watch people's reaction to my comments, not really knowing, but thinking they were sure... "is he? who is it then? I think it's him!" :ponder: :lol:

In the end, I always expected the programmer to be announced. I'm still waiting for it...

the programmer keeps on being... ghostly....

like this

post-41160-0-96335100-1454591359.png

:lol: just kidding.... or not... :? ... :lol:

• Like 1

I think the only programmer that could have made this game and haven't commented on Piggy Bank at all(if I miss anything) could be Groovy Bee. :ponder:

Nah! That can't possibly be, since we all know GroovyBee can't program, and only makes mock-ups and "gifeos". :ponder:

I think it was Rev & Cmart, the dynamic duo.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Firstly, congratulations to all the other entries in the GoTY and many thanks to the community for voting for Piggy Bank.

Yep! the person most familiar with the matter is in fact.... me! Given that apparently I can't finish anything, produce poor quality games, gifeos and mocks and can't "deliver" its quite odd that I can produce a game in 3 weeks that wins Game of the Year 2015 isn't it? However, It all depends on if you believe the resident bullshitting drama queen or not, as to what I'm capable of :rolling:.

Don't get me wrong that 3 weeks (just over) was utter hell, with 2-3 AM finishes daily, coding every and all weekends (again with late finishes and early starts) and a total of 35 ROM releases. Not all of which BBWW and the bets testers saw. The game was "Frankensteined" out of several other of my games e.g. Rocketeer donated its sound engine and HSC code, Apple Snaffle donated its map display code. That reduced the development time considerably. Once the core engine was working, typically 2 levels a night were designed (plus graphics drawn if needed) and play tested, adjusted and tweaked to death. Each level was played well over 50 times each (probably over a 100 in some cases) in order to make sure they were completable without losing a life and within the level timer. If I had no good ideas for levels, other parts of the game were created and polished like the "GAME OVER" screen, "Piggy-Tron" and so on. Even after I'd played the levels they were hammered by the testers again.

Lots of things went right on the project which made it a ton of fun to do. BBWW got in touch just as I was coming out of crunch time and unusually I wasn't that burnt out. So I went straight into hobby coding crunch time instead :lol:. The music was pretty much done by Mystery Musician in a couple of hours, and 5-11under could do the PCBs and ship them to BBWW in time for PRGE. Lots of memes in the Inty community were littered throughout the game e.g. snow levels, bacon references, pitchforks, Hello Kitty and so on. Those additions certainly made it feel like a game designed specifically for the Inty AA community which added to our development fun factor considerably.

The only remit to the project was to do something better than Blix. BBWW and I thought we'd come last in the GoTY with all the other games released in the 2015. So needless to say, it was a surprise for both of us to see Piggy Bank going neck and neck with Ms.Pacman at the end. It was funny (in a geeky way) to see that people thought the game wouldn't be up to much of anything or even exist at all, with such a compressed development time frame and a release at PRGE imminent. BBWW was as happy as a pig in the proverbial to report from PRGE that people were pleasantly surprised (and/or shocked) at the quality of the final game and what it turned out to be.

The ROM will be released on Hive Deluxe with an additional 5 levels (perhaps more) and high score saving to flash memory too.

Anyways... I hope you've all enjoyed playing the game as much as we did making it. It was an absolute blast from start to end. Don't expect the same kind of thing to happen this year :P :rolling:.

• Like 27

That pretty much sums it up I think...I did grunt work, my wife did a little work on some piggy stuff, some of which we used...some we ended up not in the label and instructions. I don't have the full list of testers...

Oh and Easter is coming...we may have a surprise for that...

Looking forward to a Deluxe Hive...maybe I can get on the early list...LOL

I wonder what other things there are to know about Piggy Bank?

• Like 6

That pretty much sums it up I think...I did grunt work, my wife did a little work on some piggy stuff, some of which we used...some we ended up not in the label and instructions. I don't have the full list of testers...

Oh and Easter is coming...we may have a surprise for that...

Looking forward to a Deluxe Hive...maybe I can get on the early list...LOL

Easter covers it.

I can produce a game in 3 weeks

Well okay, you could do that. So when exactly do I get Rocketeer? ;) Sorry, but I would have wished a bit more understatement instead of celebrating how great you are. Maybe you are great, I will see it when I play your games, but for that I still need them.

An when I read your post I wonder if I should be happy that you worked so intensive on Piggy Bank, or if I should be curious why you did not used the time for the other projects.

Edit: May I should stop the time until I get attacked by some people for asking such questions, but its really what I am asking myself after I read your post. I do not think that many people here had doubted your ability to programm a good game (especially the customers who did not cancelled there order). At least I am sure that I did not. But it would have been MUCH COOLER if you just had said "its my game" without these side blows.

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 1

Well okay, you could do that. So when exactly do I get Rocketeer? ;) Sorry, but I would have wished a bit more understatement instead of celebrating how great you are. Maybe you are great, I will see it when I play your games, but for that I still need them.

An when I read your post I wonder if I should be happy that you worked so intensive on Piggy Bank, or if I should be curious why you did not used the time for the other projects.

Edit: May I should stop the time until I get attacked by some people for asking such questions, but its really what I am asking myself after I read your post. I do not think that many people here had doubted your ability to programm a good game (especially the customers who did not cancelled there order). At least I am sure that I did not. But it would have been MUCH COOLER if you just had said "its my game" without these side blows.

a couple things: There is a lot more involved in the other games on top of programming. Although there is a lot more programming involved to make them high quality. They did not expect this game to be as big as it was. Have no fear the games will be here soon. And as far as "side blows" groovybee has kept himself really well compared to what someone else has said and done against him. I admire him for that. There is no other programmer i know that would put up with what was said and kept their cool the way he has. He has the right to defend himself and i dont feel he went too far. However as a person who is "NOT" familiar with any matters these are my personal opinions.
  • Like 1