IGNORED

PNW - TI-99/4A Fest West 2016 - April 30th

Omega-TI

So who is going to do a report on what transpired? My curious question is: who got to take the SAMS card home? ;)

Some people wondered why I sent it to this Faire in particular to let it into the wild. It is simple, actually. The original SAMS board was a product of the SW99ers, and they were the sponsors of the Fest West for a long time. This brought the new iteration of the board back to the Faire that first hosted it (after the even earlier Asgard AEMS version of it). I've got enough parts to build 40 or so of these boards now (limited to 1MB in this hardware revision), at a price of $80 each, assembled and tested.

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 6

II was the lucky winner, and I never win anything! I can't wait to tinker with this card. Just last night when I was getting a PEB ready to bring, I noticed that the 32K memory card in it was bad. I think I will be putting the SAMS card in its case instead of worrying about fixing it just now.

Ksarul, I think I will have some questions for you regarding this card as well as a hardware project I have in mind.

• Like 6

I don't think the new sams board will fit in the shell for the 32k card, as it extends out into the support rails for the card cases. I feel like a winner, cause I was able to buy a blank pcboard through arcadeshopper on site! I'll be building this and learning what I can do with it. :)

On another note, it was great to meet so many of you, and learn your stories. Thanks for setting this up Omega!

-M@

• Like 6

I was actually hoping I wouldn't win the SAMS card as I'm not a power user and I wanted it to go to a better home. Congrats, ElectricLab. On the other hand, I was really stoked to win the Atarisoft multicart. Now that's something even a dummy like me can use.

Great job putting this meet together, Omega!

• Like 7

Omega - Thanks for making this happen. I sure had a great time meeting people in person and seeing what ideas people have cooking, and learning just how much local knowledge there is out there about our beloved TIs.

Thank you Joseph for tagging along with me and making the ride much more enjoyable with great discussions about anything and everything. I hope you dust off that AtariAge account and join in on the fun.

Thank you Greg McGill for patiently burning eproms for the four new cartridges that I just had to have. My son and I played Robotron for hours last night :)

Thanks to everyone who did a demo. I'm amazed with what you guys are up to, and I can't wait to see more. RXB was something I'd heard about, but seeing Rich demo it and explain some of what it does - wow. Had things like this existed back in 1983, TI would have been hard to beat. And I really have to build the USB keyboard adapter that JediMatt designed. It never really struck me just how awesome this project it until I saw it up close. I've been thinking about BJ's barcode demo and thinking about its possibilities. Scanning data in/out of the TI in this way could have some seriously cool uses. Being able to transfer a file and save it to a disk right on the TI with a few QR code scans might be a great way to get and try new programs right on the real iron. Emulators are cool and all, but playing with the original hardware is way more fun to me.

I feel so overwhelmed with new things I want to do and try, my Project-ADD is going to go into hyperspeed.

I hope to see you all again soon.

-Corey.

• Like 7

I've got enough parts to build 40 or so of these boards now (limited to 1MB in this hardware revision), at a price of $80 each, assembled and tested.

Ksarul,

Forty of these? :-o At first I thought that was a gamble, with another future revision in the planning stages, but then I started thinking, 1MB on the TI is probably more than I, or quite a few others would ever need. I can see these taking the TI to yet another level. As new software comes online or current programs are updated to exploit it.

I see some near-term real-world benefits too if programs like Stuart's Internet Browser, TIMXT or a few others could include some sort of code to detect and use it. I really have no idea if that code even exists though, and not being a programmer or how hard it would be to even implement.

I also have a question about this... since it's paged memory, would it be possible for a program (or two) to be loaded into the memory to be hooked by say a load interrupt? If you follow where I going, you'll see this opens up a whole new universe of possibilities for the average TI'er.

Also, would someone like to start a new thread to keep track of programs that currently use this device and add more as new ones come online? I'd like to do it myself, but my plate is a little full at the moment.

So anyway Jim, if you can do 40 of these, the least I can do a +1. Please send me a PM when you have one built, tested and ready to send my way! Thanks!

• Like 1

happy to see that, and to see some of you guys in real iron :)

Looks like big fun, and cool that you had internet there in the location.

I wish I had a chance to be there. but Mission Impossible

some important questions

- it isn´t really hoarding, if your stuff is cool - I need that shirt :lust:

- where were the fair-Gremlins ? :ahoy:

thanks 2 all, and to Omega for all doing on that

xXx

• Like 2

The only fair gremlin I witnessed out of all of it, was that my solar powered wireless keyboard needed to be power cycled. I didn't even try to demo the keyboard live while Omega was recording, cause I assumed a fair gremlin would get me.

Not so much a gremlin, as learning that solar devices need a little time after being stored in a backpack.

-M@

• Like 1

I was visited by a gremlin during setup with my cell modem. I was about ready to give up when it just magically started working. I guess the gremlin just wanted to toy with me a little.

Well, there you go Schmitzi... there were gremlins...

-M@

• Like 1

I had a great time at this event. Thank you to all whom I met at the show. Great group of people. I was stoked that I won a home brew cart(3 in 1) and I cannot wait to play it. Today, I got to sit down and play my Atarisoft collection cart that I bought and brought it to a local gaming club. I look forward to what the group decides on a next meetup and very happy to have been able to make it.

• Like 2