IGNORED

Other slots for incognito

I just took another look at Lotharek's F7 accelerator for the PBI. It almost looks small enough to fit under the cover of an 800. It sure would be nice if there was a card slot version of this available if only to provide power and mechanical stability.

Does anyone have a prototype F7 that they could try for fitment under the 800's cover? Or, at least provide measurements?

If this works, then it just may be possible to build an 800 with a fast 816 and a VBXE. :)

• Like 2

Finally tested Turbo Freezer connected to the Incognito PBI:

attachicon.gif800 Turbo Freezer.JPG

Works fine, and BIOS is fully TF compatible now. :) Only problem is dust on 800 keyboard.

That's a good thing to know. Now I wonder if it can drive both a TF and the BB simultaneously (which should work I guess). Still didn't install my Incognito.

So...I've been trying to find some info/schematics for the pinouts available on the Incognito...is there a board schematic somewhere that I've missed? Is the interface at the top that looks like an IDE plug actually IDE or is that the PBI? What else is available on the board for pinouts?

*edit*

Also, does anyone know where I can find some info about PBI programming, or example source code?

*edit++*

found this old article, interesting stuff and some source code:

http://www.oocities.org/dr_seppel/

Edited by danwinslow

Yeah: that's a good series of articles.

The 50-way IDC connector on the Incognito is a PBI connector pin-compatible with the board edge connector on the back of an 800XL. So anything (like the Turbo Freezer) which has somewhere to solder a 50-way dual-row male header can be plugged into the Incognito PBI port with a 50 way ribbon cable.

You know, I think a really high speed serial interface would be interesting. The reason I haven't done a lot of serial integration with like ethernet boards and stuff is that SIO is just really slow. I tried it, but even specially jacked up via high speed SIO's its really still too slow for something like a UDP ethernet stream or a USB connection. Having to poll SIO for stuff happening is really a drag. If we had a PBI board that did high speed serial and implemented a custom IRQ or something, then it would be a lot more doable, and woul dopen up a whole world of possible integrations.

You know, I think a really high speed serial interface would be interesting. The reason I haven't done a lot of serial integration with like ethernet boards and stuff is that SIO is just really slow. I tried it, but even specially jacked up via high speed SIO's its really still too slow for something like a UDP ethernet stream or a USB connection. Having to poll SIO for stuff happening is really a drag. If we had a PBI board that did high speed serial and implemented a custom IRQ or something, then it would be a lot more doable, and woul dopen up a whole world of possible integrations.

well I really intended it to replace an 850/P:R: connection, but if you use the right UART, you can get some pretty high speeds. I have a UART here that advertises 'T1 speed capable' which means it can go at 1.544megabaud (about 154KB/s at 10 baud per byte) which is faster than the atari can keep up with anyway.