IGNORED

Is anybody on Patreon? Has anybody donated to a campaign?

Hey y'all, wanted to get some feedback from the community on Patreon. I started a page to go along with my books and video show, and was wondering if anybody had any experience with it? Has anybody ran a campaign on there? Has anyone donated to a campaign? If so, what kind of rewards do you like to receive? Just trying to get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

I donate to Classic Game Room. I've watched his show since the old days (1999?) and have always been a fan.

Now, some in the community (the gaming community, just making this clear) consider this a "handout" or "crowdfunded welfare" because the idea of people actually willing to give extra money to support someone is just, outrageous. It's one of the problems artists and content creators face all the time - this idea that their job "isn't a job" because it's too close to what the critics consider "hobbies". This stuff goes way back to the days of , well, probably the pyramids, if you want to know the truth about it. If anyone says that your job isn't a "real job", where "real job" is defined as driving railroad spikes into ties like John Henry or something... It's best to ignore them.

I donate to two podcasts on Patreon.

One of them is Joe's great podcast Upper Memory Block on PC DOS and Early Windows games. He does have some pluses for donating at higher levels, but I don't really care about that so I just give at the lowest level. But what's cool is that you only donate $1 for each episode, which means most months it's just $1 and $2.

I also donate to the one that Duckfeed.tv does, which is a great site run by Kole and Gary and they do about eight podcasts. The money is used to support the entire network and there are TONS of bonuses if you back at the higher levels. I give $6 a month, which is enough to get access to their Slack channel, invites to Google Video hangouts once a month, downloads of the podcasts early, a bonus episode once a month for one of their podcasts, able to vote on polls, articles posted on their site, and others. If anyone wants to see how to support a podcasting empire through Patreon, these are the guys to look at! :)

I contribute to a bunch of my favorite YouTube channels there... AND I have my own campaign :)

http://www.patreon.com/MetalJesusRocks

That's awesome Metal Jesus. So out of curiosity, how long has it taken you to reach that level? And if you don't mind me asking, what have you found to be the best way to build your channel? Adwords, Facebook advertising, etc? I'm really making a push to grow my channel this year and could use all the advice I could get.

I'm no fan of ongoing contributions/subscriptions like that, but there's no denying that it works for a lot of people that otherwise wouldn't get that type of regular funding. Although not for me, it's definitely a good thing and a nice alternative to relying on advertising that generally makes other people money.

I do both - I contribute to a few (one's a friend who does webcomics, most are channels for video stuff), and I have mine ( my own channel (http://youtube.com/hellfire64).

When it comes to books, I think a base level would be to get snippets of what you're working on showing the process, and then have tiers where people can get an electronic copy or physical copy as appropriate (my comic friend has this - I pledge enough each month that when he puts an actual issue together, I get a copy, along with electronic ones).

For channels, at the basics, I'd say start with early releases (make them unlisted and give the link out privately), then build from there. I post an exclusive each month for my patrons at a certain level, but depending on what your content is, you'll have better ideas on how to go beyond it.

I'm not sure any of my ramble helps, but hopefully it does (I'm a fairly small fish in the pond regardless!)

Thank you Rob, I really appreciate you taking the time for the feedback. That gives me some good ideas of what to do going forward.

One other thing I was thinking about doing was creating a Pilot episode for the new shows within the rewards tier. What are your thoughts on that?

Oh and if anybody does want to check out my page and offer a critique, it's at

www.Patreon.com/VgaTV

One other thing I was thinking about doing was creating a Pilot episode for the new shows within the rewards tier. What are your thoughts on that?

It's a good expansion of things. If you've got the type of fans who would be interested in it, then certainly put it in as a tier. I guess of course, it's all aligned with channels and what your goals for it are of course.

Had a quick look at your page, and I think you're all setup properly - the idea of the discounts on the hardcover books is a great idea, and they're all spaced out nicely :)

I donate to Classic Game Room and Metal Jesus on Patreon. I struggled early on with the idea of paying someone money to run a YouTube channel. But then I started thinking about how much of a garbage can most of the content is on there and there are select few channels worth watching. If you genuinely enjoy their content, why not support it? I guess my point is that if your content is good and you have fans that enjoy it, then people will back you. It helps you as well and gives the fans more of what they want as well. Everybody wins.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a very humble patreon,and understand if anyone does not want to contribute. I have mostly focued on my youtube channel, and will continue to do so. I have a game room with really unlimited possibilities, so I thought I would make good use of it.

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=904238&ty=h